Windows 10: Cannot Join, Remove, or Create Another Homegroup.

Discus and support Cannot Join, Remove, or Create Another Homegroup. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [img] I have 3 computers running Windows 10. Two were upgraded from Windows 7, and one from Windows 8. May not have had the Homegroup working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jan123, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Jan123 Win User

Cannot Join, Remove, or Create Another Homegroup.

Cannot Join, Remove, or Create Another Homegroup. [​IMG]

I have 3 computers running Windows 10. Two were upgraded from Windows 7, and one from Windows 8. May not have had the Homegroup working properly before, and I think I had created one some time ago. I don't know what the password was. But, now that all of the machines are upgraded to Windows 10, it would be great if I could get the sharing to work properly.

All three computers show the exact same screen when I go to the Control Panel / Homegroup screen. I have pasted the screen copy above. But, essentially, there are two things to note:
    1. "Jan on Trex7 has created a homegroup on the network".
    2. The only choices on the screen are to "Join now", and "Close".

For two of the machines, the information seems normal. But, when I log on to "Trex7", as user "Jan", it displays exactly the same. How has "Jan on Trex7" created a Homegroup, if it's asking "Jan" to join it?

Hence, how do I get from this to having a Homegroup that I can join on my three machines?

:)

Jan123, Nov 3, 2015
  2. LazR Win User

Cannot find and join homegroup after windows 10 upgrade

Please note that I can create and leave a homegroup on each computer. However, after creating a homegroup on one computer, I cannot join it from another computer on the network.

LazR, Nov 3, 2015
  3. HomeGroup/Network issue

I followed those steps multiple times. IT CANNOT BE DONE. There is a homegroup and I cannot join it, leave it nor create another ... nor log into it with the correct password

The homegroup was created on this machine and another machine joined it.

After the reset it no longer worked and (read the first line above)

I took the correct password off the other machine.

It no longer worked

This is really one for the developers

RickGrunwald, Nov 3, 2015
  4. Jan123 Win User

From reading forums, and doing what others have done, the problem has changed.

1. I renamed and re-created \ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys
    2. (this is very important) I powered off the other Windows machines on my network.

I'm on my only powered on Windows machine, "Trex7", as (the administrator) user "Jan".
    The HomeGroup options page now looks much better.

I select "Create a HomeGroup". But, then I get:

So, I think I might be better off. But, what do I do now?

Jan123, Nov 3, 2015
  5. Jan123 Win User
    Jan123, Nov 3, 2015
  6. Jan123 Win User
    The two scripts that I ran as administrator were:

@echo off
    sc config p2psvc start= demand
    exit

@echo off
    sc config PNRPsvc start= demand
    exit

Also, note that I restarted the computer a number of times.

What else can be done to get these services to start?

Jan123, Nov 3, 2015
  7. Jan123 Win User
    As so many other people have posted, when you give "everyone" full access to \ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys, then you can start all the needed services.

After that, I created a Homegroup on my Trex7 machine, joined my other two machines into the HomeGroup, and it was a somewhat easy "Add Printer" on the other two machines, and they could use the Printer on the Trex7 machine.

The only minor difficulty was that the Printer was not initially listed until you selected "Select a shared printer by name", and then selected "Browse", and lastly selected the machine, "Trex7".

I got all the way through it, and I hope that my posting helps someone else.

Jan123, Nov 4, 2015
  8. KenJ45 Win User

Hey, thanks for posting everything. I was having this same issue, but found a somewhat easy way to get it to work... I renamed that folder you tried in the first step, and for me, creating a new one had the same effect, giving me an error when trying to create the homegroup. However, what I ended up doing was after I get to the screen where it says to create homegroup, I then deleted the folder I created and renamed the original folder back, then I clicked create homegroup and... it worked, lol.

KenJ45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot Join, Remove, or Create Another Homegroup. - Similar Threads - Cannot Join Remove

2. Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10: I have a new Windows 10 computer, and I'm trying to join the existing homegroup in my home (which currently includes Windows 8 laptop and Windows 7 desktop), but to no avail. I tried to follow the instructions written by Shawn Brink in this forum: Open File Explorer,...
  3. Joining a HomeGroup

Joining a HomeGroup: I have been trying to join 2 laptops to a HomeGroup set up and there is no option showing to join. There are several guides that I've seen and all show options that do not appear on either laptop I'm trying to join with. Supposedly ther is a HomeGroup option within the...
  4. About Homegroup Joining/creating Option

About Homegroup Joining/creating Option: hi ! I created homegroup from windows 7 , and wanted to join from windows 10 home , but I could not see any option of Homegroup to join or create in Windows 10 , but Pc in the Network was visible and opened too. But shared folder could not be opened. The shared Printer...
  5. Unable to Join HomeGroup

Unable to Join HomeGroup: Hello everyone. I set up a homegroup years ago.. and had it set to two computers linked up and ready to go. Now we moved, got new everything and trying to set it up again but its showing my old homegroup. I can ether click on (Change Adv Settings) or Troubleshoot. Also...
  6. Homegroup issue - can't join or create new one

Homegroup issue - can't join or create new one: Yeah, same issue as many, it appears. In Windows 10, I have a Homegroup created by my laptop. But, not only can I not join it with other computers, but when I try with the laptop it says, "No Homegroup found". That's after telling me that the Homegroup exists and asks if I...
  7. Cannot leave or create homegroup

Cannot leave or create homegroup: I've tried every "fix" I've come across and I cannot get my homegroup back up. Is there a way to use the command line to leave the homegroup? This has been a huge pain since I upgraded my PCs to Win10. Using flash drives to share files is getting old. 27295
  8. Joined Homegroup but cannot access other computers

Joined Homegroup but cannot access other computers: I have two laptops recently upgraded to Windows 10 (one was previously running 7, the other 8.1). I can connect both to a Homegroup, and they can access each other's files for a time, then (usually after one goes to sleep) they cannot access each other. The Homegroup is still...
  9. Cannot join HomeGroup

Cannot join HomeGroup: I have two computers, my desktop and my laptop which is a Lenovo T520 Thinkpad. My laptop is connected to a D-Link Smart switch via Cat 7 which is connected to my router as well as my desktop. I originally created a Home group on my desktop and then went to Home group on my...
  10. Update: "This computer can not join/create homegroup"

Update: "This computer can not join/create homegroup": I've tried trouble shooters for homegroup and network I've tried enable ipv6 I've tried making sure all necessary tasks are "running" in the services section of the network and sharing center I've tried making sure all my advanced homegroup settings were correct. I've...