Windows 10: Cannot launch a program; clicking app in Start menu, nothing happens

Discus and support Cannot launch a program; clicking app in Start menu, nothing happens in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a fully updated Windows 10 Enterprise x64 installation on a USB 3 Windows-To-Go flash drive. It works well except for one program now refuses to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by oxonsi, Dec 3, 2016.

1. oxonsi Win User

Cannot launch a program; clicking app in Start menu, nothing happens

I have a fully updated Windows 10 Enterprise x64 installation on a USB 3 Windows-To-Go flash drive. It works well except for one program now refuses to start with no error message, or message of any kind. Clicking on its icon in the Start menu simply results in the cursor "spinning" for about 5 seconds, then it quits spinning and nothing else happens. The program in question is Advanced Encryption Package (AEP), for which I hold a license. It has been a number of months since I last used the program, but I know it used to work on this Windows-To-Go installation; I'm not sure what has changed in the meantime.

I did a system file check: sfc /scannow, from an elevated command prompt, and some problems were found. I was able to fix the issues through Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and a re-run of sfc /scannow. I have confirmed several times that no integrity violations are now found... Everything else appears to work correctly, but AEP still refuses to launch.

I have tried running AEP as Administrator, but the result is the same.

I have tried temporarily disabling the antivirus program, but the result is the same.

I have tried uninstalling, and re-installing AEP, but the result is the same.

I have checked the processes in Task Manager, and I do not see that AEP starts at all.

I have checked the Windows System log in Event Viewer, and I do not see any errors or warnings related to AEP not starting.

What else can I do to diagnose and resolve this issue? I have a similar installation of Windows 10 Pro on an internal SSD, and I tried installing AEP, and running it from there. That worked fine, so I know AEP is compatible with Windows 10. And I know that AEP also used to run on the Windows-To-Go installation.

Thanks for any help here.

:)

oxonsi, Dec 3, 2016
  2. Gwynera Win User

My OneNote app will not launch

My OneNote app, which I use daily to teach math, will not launch! I have OneNote 2013 as a backup, but the app is much easier for me to use in the classroom. If I click on the shortcut, nothing happens. The app is grayed out in the Menu. In the app settings,
    I cannot uninstall. On the Microsoft app site, I've tried to click on the link to download the program, but nothing happens. The app worked fine yesterday, and I've made no changes to the computer since then. I am using a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10.

Gwynera, Dec 3, 2016
  3. Windows 10

What happened to my "start" menu?.....When I click on the windows logo in the lower left corner, NOTHING happens!! can't launch start menu at all!...difficult to open any programs NOT on my desk top!!??....need help!

KeithHickerson, Dec 3, 2016
  4. whest Win User

whest, Dec 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Cannot launch a program; clicking app in Start menu, nothing happens - Similar Threads - Cannot launch program

2. Clicking on Iriun Webcam app, But nothing is happening.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking on Iriun Webcam app, But nothing is happening.: I am clicking on Iriun webcam app icon but nothing is happening. I checked other applications, but all of them are working perfectly. I tried searching for the problem in the web, but all the problem related to after openings of Iriun webcam. What should I do?...
  3. Clicking on Iriun Webcam app, But nothing is happening.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clicking on Iriun Webcam app, But nothing is happening.: I am clicking on Iriun webcam app icon but nothing is happening. I checked other applications, but all of them are working perfectly. I tried searching for the problem in the web, but all the problem related to after openings of Iriun webcam. What should I do?...
  4. Start menu has disappeared, Click on button nothing happens

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu has disappeared, Click on button nothing happens: Was having problems with taskbar items and played around and fixed them but yesterday found that when I click on the start button nothing happens. Dont know how long its been like that as dont use it often so maybe not my playing caused it. Have tried to find a solution...
  5. I click an app and nothing happens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I click an app and nothing happens: Hello, I have updated my windows yesterday and ever since then I have been having some issues opening certain apps, when I click “app”, nothing happens at all, not even an error message. I have read that the reason could be file corruptions after the update so I tried...
  6. Right-click "Run as Administrator" in start menu, nothing happens

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right-click "Run as Administrator" in start menu, nothing happens: Hello folks I have been struggling with this issue for a while now, but it seems that right-clicking something in the start menu to run as administrator is not working, as absolutely nothing happens. I can launch things such as command prompt with no admin permissions just...
  7. Clicking Start Menu does nothing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clicking Start Menu does nothing.: Suddenly I discovered that clicking on my start menu does not work anymore. Even clicking and typing into the search does nothing, so I tried to run the "Troubleshooting" wizard, and it did not find anything. I then tried to check to see if I was missing updates on the...
  8. Nothing happens after clicking an account to Get started in Windows Insider Program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Nothing happens after clicking an account to Get started in Windows Insider Program: I've seen some similar -and closed- questions about this but no one has a valid solution for me. Can't activate the windows insider program. After I click on "Get started" button, pick an account to get started clicking on the "+" button Link an account, I select my account...
  9. Start button left click nothing happens

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button left click nothing happens: Have a Dell XPS 11. Clicking left on start button should open Cortana and Start Options. Nothing happens. There's a hamburger on the top left which will bring up the start menu, Most Used, Recently Added and File Explorer, Settings, etc. At the bottom, Power Symbol and a...
  10. Start menu programs right click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu programs right click: Hello, recently I have reinstalled my windows, and after few days, after right clicking on my apps in start menu several options, which have been previously, disappeared. I can't uninstall, resize, or pin apps to start. Right clicking only show 'more' with sub-menu. Does...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. every windows program i click on nothing happens 2019