Windows 10: Cannot leave or create homegroup

Discus and support Cannot leave or create homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've tried every "fix" I've come across and I cannot get my homegroup back up. Is there a way to use the command line to leave the homegroup? This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by neveser, Oct 21, 2015.

1. neveser Win User

Cannot leave or create homegroup

I've tried every "fix" I've come across and I cannot get my homegroup back up.

Is there a way to use the command line to leave the homegroup? This has been a huge pain since I upgraded my PCs to Win10. Using flash drives to share files is getting old.

:)

neveser, Oct 21, 2015

2. Homegroup deletion in Win 10 No solution works yet

No. You cannot make the homegroup go away by leaving it on all connected computers.

i did all the steps (several times)

Leave homegroup > reboot.

then when i try to start fresh and create a new homegroup i get the message

"Peter on Computer-1 has created a homegroup on the network"

i cannot join it because i don't have the password

help!

peterwassink_37, Oct 21, 2015
  3. MarkLaru Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade corrupted my Home Group

This did not work. I have set these all to Automatic but I can still NOT leave or delete the corrupted HomeGroup. When I enter the password for the HomeGroup I get the following message:

Windows no longer detects a HomeGroup on this Network, To create a new HomeGroup click "OK" and then open HomeGroup in the Control Panel"

When you do this you CANNOT CREATE or LEAVE the HomeGroup. The windows say Windows has detected a HomeGroup.

Windows 10 corrupted the HomeGRoup so you are in a never ending circle.

How do you DELETE or LEAVE a HomeGroup in Windows 10.

MarkLaru, Oct 21, 2015
  4. TrustMe Win User

TrustMe, Oct 21, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    What video ? . You did not provide the link.

Anyway. You must have 2 services running as shown in the screen shot then try to leave Homegroup again. Once done, you can disable them if you don't use the Homegroup for networking, else set them to Manual

Cannot leave or create homegroup [​IMG]

topgundcp, Oct 21, 2015
  6. TrustMe Win User
    Thanks, I edited the post.

TrustMe, Oct 21, 2015
  7. neveser Win User
    Thanks for the video TrustMe. Unfortunately it did not help. My network is set to "Private" which I would imagine is the same as the
    "Home" setting in 7. I don't have the option to leave the Homegroup.

I do have the services running topgundcp but the option to leave the Homegroup is not present.

I have tried to delete the idstore.sst file and that does nothing as well. I was hoping there was a way to go around the gui interface with command line and leave the Homegroup. I was going to use my laptop to create a new Homegroup to see if I could get the machines to join it but it turns out the laptop had been on the same Homegroup so that was not an option. I've contemplated re-imaging it and then creating a new Homegroup but something tells me that it won't work so it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

neveser, Oct 22, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

From the services. Make sure you have both services running, you can manually force them to run by double click on each then click start with service set to "Automatic" or "Manual".
    From control panel, click on the HomeGroup. If you have both services running, you should see a button "Create a Homegroup" if you did not create a Homeroup before else you should see a button "Leave the homegroup"

If the servies are not running then you'll see a screen as shown:

topgundcp, Oct 22, 2015
  9. IIRC the HomeGroup server has to be available before you can leave.

nigelmercier, Oct 22, 2015
  10. stonechat Win User
    One of the problems is that when any computer has created a homegroup, that computer may not even exist, but there remain the files on other computers informing of this

This does seem to help a little but I still cannot get both my pc and wife's laptop onto the same homegroup

delete all files in c:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

Apparently this has to be done on all PCs

I have tried all measures and seem to be getting nowhere
    The first time I deleted above files there was clearly no homegroup, and I created on on the desktop

Subesequent information suggests doing this on the laptop first may have beem better

However now where i delete above files I still have a homegroup showing created by me

This is getting to be a nightmare

stonechat, Oct 22, 2015
  11. stonechat Win User
    Also please note the problem seems to be the previously created homegroup that cannot be got rid off
    I deleted above files but I cannot create a homegroup as I have already been invited to one!

stonechat, Oct 22, 2015
  12. neveser Win User
    Services are running. No option to leave or create Homegroup.

I have also deleted the entire roaming folder. Still no change.
    There must be a file somewhere else that causing this issue. Just not sure where.

neveser, Oct 24, 2015
  13. stonechat Win User

I did eventually succeed
    1) Ensure the homegroup provider service is running. See if homegroup can now be left
    2) Turn off all other computers than the one you are currently working on
    3) Try to delete the files in the folder I mentioned above
    This will ensure no homegroup - old ones even to which yyou don't know the password - exists
    4) Before then creating new homegroup bear in mind that ideally both/all computers should connect to the internet (temporarily) the same way
    MY desktop has a wireless card so I could use that to connect to the router
    (Due to complications in my house I have a wireless extender and a mains network connection thingy - don't ask)
    5) I created the homegroup on my wife's laptop, then leaving it on, powered up the desktop, joined the homegroup with the password given on the laptop
    Just to share a printer!

No guarantees but this worked for me

stonechat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot leave or create homegroup - Similar Threads - Cannot leave create

2. Cannot create a homegroup in Windows 10 Enterprise

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot create a homegroup in Windows 10 Enterprise: Why cant I create a homegroup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-a-homegroup-in-windows-10-enterprise/c11f1cfb-41d2-4b52-9409-11eabf098fad
  3. Cannot create a homegroup in Windows 10 Enterprise

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot create a homegroup in Windows 10 Enterprise: Why cant I create a homegroup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-a-homegroup-in-windows-10-enterprise/c11f1cfb-41d2-4b52-9409-11eabf098fad
  4. can not leave HomeGroup in1809

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can not leave HomeGroup in1809: I have 1809 in my pcs & i noticed my windows 7 laptop says i have homegroup on one of my win 10 1809 pcs but i cant leave the homegroup on that machine as they took it out why is my 7 machine see it? How do i log out of the homegroup on that machine with no option? 122768
  5. no camera / leave my homegroup

in Windows 10 Customization
    no camera / leave my homegroup: I need to know: 1. find my camera / after 1803 installation I no longer can find my camera 2. how to exit homegroup? Delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/no-camera-leave-my-homegroup/721e2235-c39b-4818-bcaf-dfce14c5eb2b
  6. Cannot Create New HomeGroup on Windows 10

Cannot Create New HomeGroup on Windows 10: I have a desktop with Windows 10 and a laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate. I am able to log onto the laptop by going to file explorer and clicking on the Network Icon and then clicking on my laptop and entering the account name and password for the laptop. I am not able or do not...
  7. Leaving Homegroup

Leaving Homegroup: I was operating two computers on a wired network each running Win 7 that I have upgraded to Win 10. Most seems to be Ok but I have problems trying to get access from the one computer to a printer connected to the second computer. Here is a summary of the actions I have taken:...
  8. Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup

Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup: Hi there! I've just upgraded my husband PC from Windows 7 to 10. Everything went well except that I can no longer connect to the network. After some attempt, I chose to delete all homegroup to create a new one. All right on my husband's computer (leave the homegroup),...
  9. Homegroup not Functioning, cant leave homegroup

Homegroup not Functioning, cant leave homegroup: I cannot leave the homegroup. we had 2 computers in the network with windows 7 and windows 8.1. Windows 7 upgraded to windows 10. and the other one did a clean install of windows 8.1. Now i cannot leave the homegroup from windows 10 and the windows 8.1 has created a new...
  10. Leave Homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Leave Homegroup in Windows 10: How to: Leave Homegroup in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream media to...