Windows 10: Cannot make Firefox my default browser in Windows 10

Discus and support Cannot make Firefox my default browser in Windows 10 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I would not normally come whining and crying to you folks but I am not able to solve this one myself. This is a new install of Windows 10- done... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jadinolf, Sep 23, 2016.

1. jadinolf Win User

Cannot make Firefox my default browser in Windows 10

I would not normally come whining and crying to you folks but I am not able to solve this one myself.

This is a new install of Windows 10- done yesterday and Firefox was installed today.

Using Firefox or Default apps in Windows 10, I cannot make Firefox the default browser. Giving the instruction in Firefox, nothing happens. In Windows 10 Default Apps when I select Firefox, it kicks back to default and has a message "Reset to Microsoft Recommended Defaults".

A Windows 10 computer about 5 feet away from me has Firefox as the default browser but it was done in July.

Google was no help so far so do any any of you experts have an idea what may be happening?

As always, I will be forever in you debt.

Many thanks. *Smile

:)

jadinolf, Sep 23, 2016
  2. WindowsOS Win User

After upgrading to Windows 10, the background colour of the start page has been changed.

To set Firefox as the default browser go to settings/system/ Default Apps and scroll down to default browser. Click on whatever is the default browser at the moment and you should see Firefox and just click on it to set as default. You cannot change the
    default browser by trying to do so thru the browser you want to set as default in Windows 10.

WindowsOS, Sep 23, 2016
  3. SM258 Win User
    How To Set Gmail as Default Mail in Windows 10 Running Firefox?

Among a zillion other things in Windows 10 (please please make it go away) I cannot figure out how to make my Gmail acct the default email when linking e-addresses using Firefox browser. No I don't like Chrome. No I don't like IE. I'm perfectly happy with
    Firefox and I cannot even get email addresses to show up to copy and paste from the browser links.

SM258, Sep 23, 2016
  4. Cannot make Firefox my default browser in Windows 10

Somewhat unclear as to what you have tried, so this may be irrelevant:

1. In Firefox, click on Options/General/Startup, then enable "Always check if Firefox is your default browser."

2. In Windows Settings, System/Default Apps/Web Browser, select Firefox.

If you have done those two steps, then it is time to investigate further, at which point I can only guess as to what you need to do. The first thing to try, which I rather doubt will have any effect, but which is easy to try, is to start Fx in Safe Mode; While it is running, click on the Firefox button (top left of screen,) then Help, followed by "Restart with Add-ons Disabled", and try again to make Fx the default. Just close and restart Fx to get your extensions re-enabled.

Going on the assumption that Safe Mode will be of no avail, post the lack of result, and perhaps someone, even I, will come up with some other equally `useful' thing(s) to try.

Not Myself, Sep 23, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Sep 23, 2016
  6. jadinolf Win User
    Yep, I have done the first two items but thanks for the reply.

The computer is in another building on my property (sounds fancy doesn't it) and I'll try it and get back to you.

jadinolf, Sep 23, 2016
  7. lvgandhi Win User
    lvgandhi, Sep 23, 2016
  8. jadinolf Win User

Thank you very much. That did it, of course.

I'm going to print this out for future reference.

It is most appreciated.

I never would have found it.

jadinolf, Sep 23, 2016
  9. jadinolf Win User
    Got it. Thanks for getting me away from the TV and out to The Lab where that computer is.

jadinolf, Sep 23, 2016
  10. jadinolf Win User
    Thanks everyone.*Smile

jadinolf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot make Firefox my default browser in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot Firefox default

2. I cannot make Firefox my default browser no matter how hard I try

in Browsers and Email
    I cannot make Firefox my default browser no matter how hard I try: For about the third or or fourth time in the last few years I have spent probably an hour trying all the solutions I could find in the Internet. Multiple reboots etc. too. Every solution keeps taking me back to Edge. Despite all my efforts have I missed something? Can I...
  3. Can't make FireFox default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't make FireFox default browser?: Every time I start FireFox I'm presented with a dialog asking if I want to make it my default browser. Yes I do!! I am brought to the screen which lets me choose a browser, but FireFox isn't among the choices. I choose to search for another browser and I'm brought to the...
  4. set firefox as default browser in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    set firefox as default browser in windows 10: I have firefox installed and use it as my browser. I want to set it as my default browser in Windows 10 but it does not appear as an option in the browser selection box. How do I get it into the browser selection box?...
  5. how yo make firefox default browser win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how yo make firefox default browser win10: just installed firefox, how to make default browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-yo-make-firefox-default-browser-win10/0cb352de-384f-4417-b2f0-8525e4a60ecc
  6. I want to make Firefox my default browser on my Windws 10 Desktop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to make Firefox my default browser on my Windws 10 Desktop?: I want to make Firefox Browser my default browser for my Windows 10 Desktop. How do I make that happen? Ruth 801 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-make-firefox-my-default-browser-on-my/8a385619-81fa-4994-b5ce-31fa4f2a4366
  7. Cannot get Firefox as my default browser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot get Firefox as my default browser: I am trying to set Firefox as my default browser. When I click on default apps in settings, nothing happens. When I click on make Firefox my default browser when starting Firefox, settings opens, but that's all it does. I can access settings through start, but like I said,...
  8. Make firefox as default app for "web browser"

in Browsers and Email
    Make firefox as default app for "web browser": Dear folks I was trying to change default app for " web browser" from Microsoft Edge to Firefox as per below : How to change your default browser in Windows 10 | Firefox Help I can't find Firefox as an option ? [img] Any idea how can I fix it ? Thx 101100
  9. How do I make Firefox my default browser

in Browsers and Email
    How do I make Firefox my default browser: [img] I've been using Firefox for several years now and have all my folders set up so I have easy access to desired websites. Yesterday I was doing something (not sure what) and when I opened my browser it opened as Bing. I went to Start...Three lines at the...
  10. Cannot make Chrome as default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot make Chrome as default browser: I have tried all the suggested methods of setting Chrome as a default browser. When open Chrome, I go through of downloading Chrome and agreeing to terms etc etc and it does not work. The next time I log in with Chrome it asks me to make it a default again. When I go through...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot make firefox my default browser

2. cannot make firefox