Windows 10: Cannot map shared network drive

Discus and support Cannot map shared network drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have just upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and have a problem with a shared network drive. Under Win7 and 8.1 I had no difficulty mapping this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FlyBoy, Aug 3, 2015.

1. FlyBoy Win User

Cannot map shared network drive

I have just upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and have a problem with a shared network drive. Under Win7 and 8.1 I had no difficulty mapping this drive which is attached directly to my access point. However, since upgrade, I can log into the drive using a browser but cannot map it using File Explorer. Other network resources which are attached to my home router still work fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

:)

FlyBoy, Aug 3, 2015
  2. jackin Win User

Able to ping network path but not able to map network drive on Windows 10

So i ran into this situation today. Computer A (Windows 7 professional) and Computer B (Windows 10) both connected to same domain.

Computer A can access network drive, but computer B cannot

This is what i tried on computer B, which has Windows 10

Verified advanced network sharing settings are enabled

Verified computer B can ping network path, but unable to map network drive

flushed DNS. Tried browsing to network drive, no good

Tried accessing network path with IPv4 address, network path, but no success

Not sure why computer B can ping the network drive but cannot map to network drive

Also verified NetBIOS is enabled.

Are there any other troubleshooting steps that i missed or what else should i check on Windows 10 about mapping network drive?

jackin, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Unable to Map a Network Drive in Windows 10

Hi Team,

When we are trying to access/Map a Network Drive we are getting an error mentioned below

Error:- Windows cannot access\\path\

When I clicked on diagnose it says problems found as:- file and print sharing resources(Netwok Drive address) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts)

But we are able to access/Map the same network Drive in Windows 7 OS environment.

what might be causing the issue.

New Tech Learner, Aug 3, 2015
  4. evansnp Win User

Hi Mike, have you tried going to 'Control Panel -> Network and Sharing -> Change advanced sharing settings (on left)', and turn on 'network discovery' and 'file and printer sharing'?

evansnp, Aug 3, 2015
  5. FlyBoy Win User
    Yes, that was one of the first things I checked. The shared drive (WD Mybook Live) is asking for a login and password to access it. The logins are computer names and there are no passwords. My Win8.1 machine sitting next to this one has no difficulty attaching.

FlyBoy, Aug 3, 2015
  6. evansnp Win User
    Have you checked the 'Homegroup connections'? By default, Win 10 seems to want to be part of a homegroup to connect to all of your devices, but there is a setting that says 'use user accounts, and passwords' ... try that one.

evansnp, Aug 3, 2015
  7. FlyBoy Win User
    Homegroup is on user accounts. We are in the same Workgroup. The computer name is built into the shared drive. In fact nothing else has changed except the upgrade. All the control panel options I know which may affect this are where they should be.

FlyBoy, Aug 3, 2015
  8. evansnp Win User

Now i'm stumped! I have three shared network locations, and they all worked after the upgrade.

evansnp, Aug 3, 2015
  9. jgt1942 Win User
    jgt1942, Aug 9, 2015
  10. FlyBoy Win User
    Sorry, but no. My issue is not addressed in that post. I am not trying to share from one computer to another. I am trying to access a shared network drive (WD Mybook Live) which has its own IP address. I can get it from every computer in the house as well as my Android tablet. But I cannot attach to it with my single Windows 10 machine. When attempting to map the drive, after about a 1 minute wait, I get a Windows Security box asking for my login and password. This drive has no logins or passwords. It is open to everyone on the network. I've tried adding logins and passwords with no change. I have no difficulty logging into the web based interface of the drive from my W10 machine. So, I'm more than mystified.

FlyBoy, Aug 9, 2015
  11. linw Win User
    I have the same NAS as you and my sharing works! Win 10 does apply tighter security measures as you have found out.

You don't need to map it but you have to make sure the username login is like this - mybooklive\username. Also tell that security box to Remember credentials.

As for the password, I would add one, especially if you intend to share it from the Internet! Mine has one and I am not sure, but I think win 10 will demand one.

Good luck.

Edit:- fixed error in username.

Thema:

1. Cannot map shared network drive - Similar Threads - Cannot map shared

2. Shared drive is not mapping

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared drive is not mapping: Hello,We have created couple of users in AD what is happening now is that we are unable to map the shared drive. When we try to map the network drive it ask for credentials but correct user name/password entered but it says username or password incorrect. Is anyone able to...
  3. Shared drive is not mapping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared drive is not mapping: Hello,We have created couple of users in AD what is happening now is that we are unable to map the shared drive. When we try to map the network drive it ask for credentials but correct user name/password entered but it says username or password incorrect. Is anyone able to...
  4. Cannot access Mapped Network Drive without rebooting Shared Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access Mapped Network Drive without rebooting Shared Computer: On my main computer Windows 10 at work I have two network drives, each mapped to a folder on a different machine both Windows 11. The two machines also have a network drive mapped to each other same folder. One of the computers with the shared folder let's call it the green...
  5. Cannot access Mapped Network Drive without rebooting Shared Computer

Cannot access Mapped Network Drive without rebooting Shared Computer: On my main computer Windows 10 at work I have two network drives, each mapped to a folder on a different machine both Windows 11. The two machines also have a network drive mapped to each other same folder. One of the computers with the shared folder let's call it the green...
  6. Cannot access Mapped Network Drive without rebooting Shared Computer

7. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

Network Share folder vs Mapping drives: Difference between network shared and mapping a drive ? An explanation would be much appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-share-folder-vs-mapping-drives/bf3c629b-63e9-4a45-bff6-db7e656fd84e
  8. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Share folder vs Mapping drives: Difference between network shared and mapping a drive ? An explanation would be much appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-share-folder-vs-mapping-drives/bf3c629b-63e9-4a45-bff6-db7e656fd84e
  9. Network Share folder vs Mapping drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer

Cannot Map Network Drive in Explorer: Hello: Lately, I am having trouble Mapping one of my Network Drives in Windows Explorer. A long time ago (early Windows 10 and before) I could simply click on "Network" and it would bring up my Drive (among others), I would click on it (right click as I recall) and it would...