Windows 10: Cannot migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD

Discus and support Cannot migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a pc which I recently bought a SSD for it, but I have trouble copying windows 10 to the SSD. The HDD partition table looks like this:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ercarlitosg, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Cannot migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD

Hello,

I have a pc which I recently bought a SSD for it, but I have trouble copying windows 10 to the SSD. The HDD partition table looks like this: BOOT MANAGER - A PARTITION - WINDOWS PARTITON - ANOTHER PARTITON.

Well I had tried to copy the Boot manager and windows partition only, due to the size of the SDD (525GB vs 1TB). Then tried to boot from the SSD, the Windows Logo appears and 5 - 10 seconds later more or less the windows logo dissapear to a black screen without cursor, but if I move the mouse then the cursor appear and after a few seconds dissapear again. Doesn't work Ctrl+Shift+ESC to open task manager. Also occurs the same in safe mode, but this time when I move the cursor then the safe mode texts at top and bottom of the screen appears dissapearing a few seconds later.

Is there an option to copy this windows to the SSD without reinstalling it?

PS: I know that formatting the computer may be faster, but I would like to conserve the way I configured Windows and some applications without needing to reconfigure it.

Thanks

:)

ercarlitosg, Dec 21, 2016

2. Conversion to Windows 10

I converted from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional. I then migrated Windows 10 from an HDD to an SSD. I kept the HDD for data files. I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 clean, which cleaned everything from the SSD. There is a system
    Volume Information folder on the SSD and it is about 6gb. I still have a System Volume Information folder on the HDD and it is 48gb. I also keep the Window Image Backup on the HDD and it appears to be in its own folder (WindowsImageBackup) and is 26gb. The
    apps (programs) are kept on the SSD along with the operating system. Can I delete the System Volume Information folder from the HDD? I feel it is a leftover from when the system was migrated over to the SSD from the HDD. Any assistance is appreciated.

Mike Hessel, Dec 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 migration

To migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD, here are many different ways. But here I would like to introduce the most simple method, that is using a software AOMEI Backupper, and you can

migrate Windows 10 to SSD
    with a few steps. with this way, you need to prepare an SSD which is enough to store the system files before.

DemonBradsahw, Dec 21, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Cannot migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD

topgundcp, Dec 21, 2016
  5. fireberd Win User
    When I went from conventional hard drive to SSD, I made a disc image (all partitions) of the hard drive with Macrium Reflect to a separate drive. Then "restored" the disc image to the new SSD. It created all the needed partitions.

I tried a "clone" with the program provided with my Samsung SSD, the clone application in Macrium Reflect and the clone from another program and they all were a bust. Only the image method worked for me.

fireberd, Dec 21, 2016
  6. I used clonezilla to clone the two partitions. I will update with a screenshot as soon as I can access to the computer. Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I will try it.

ercarlitosg, Dec 21, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you booted the computer after the cloning to the SSD, did you still have the old HDD connected? It should be disconnected the first time you attempt to boot from the SSD to avoid mixing booting from a system partition on one drive and loading the OS from the boot partition on the other drive.

This might help you:
    Computer wouldn't boot after cloning to SSD

Partition cloning/copying will work just fine for moving to an SSD.
    Make sure to keep GPT or MBR partitioning type. The SSD needs to be the same as the HDD was.

MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

After you get the computer booting properly from the SSD, I would suggest you compress the OS on it:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

NavyLCDR, Dec 21, 2016
  8. Cannot migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD

Thanks for all of your response. Finally I migrated the Windows and the boot partition to the ssd with macrium. Cleared first the SSD with diskpart and then cloned the two partitions with macrium.

ercarlitosg, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD

1. Cannot migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD - Similar Threads - Cannot migrate HDD

2. windows migration from HDD to SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows migration from HDD to SSD.: Hello,i buyed a laptop with an HDD and i want to know if that is it possible to make a transfer of my operating system from that Hard Disk to another SSD that i already buyed it and assemble it to my laptop . To know that my windows 10 has a digital activation included with...
  3. windows migration from HDD to SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows migration from HDD to SSD.: Hello,i buyed a laptop with an HDD and i want to know if that is it possible to make a transfer of my operating system from that Hard Disk to another SSD that i already buyed it and assemble it to my laptop . To know that my windows 10 has a digital activation included with...
  4. windows migration from HDD to SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Migrating to SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating to SSD from HDD: Hello there, A few years back, I purchased a Lenovo Y470 Laptop with a preinstalled Microsoft Windows 7 Home Edition which was then updated to Windows 10 Home Edition. Now, my laptop has gotten very low in speed and I want to replace the HDD with an SSD drive keeping both...
  6. Migrating from HDD to SSD

Migrating from HDD to SSD: How to check if i have completely migrated from my HDD to SSD. I actually have done it about a year back. The laptop is running fine. BUt i cannot access my bios. Also cannot create recovery disc. Finally can i delete old windows files taking up space in my HDD....
  7. Migrating Windows 10 from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating Windows 10 from HDD to SSD: Hello, I am wondering if I just could migrate just my OS to an SSD doing the migrating process. I don't want to copy my whole HDD to my new SSD. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-windows-10-from-hdd-to-ssd/411f6021-060f-4c04-84ff-9717fdf94012"
  8. Migrating from Hdd to ssd

Migrating from Hdd to ssd: Migrating from Hdd to ssd Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ????i need secure and easy software...
  9. Migrating from HDd to ssd

Migrating from HDd to ssd: Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-from-hdd-to-ssd/c2565ea0-ce8a-44b6-a828-e7cdbffa73f6
  10. Migration from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migration from hdd to ssd: Windows 10 is currently on a 1.5 Tb hdd that is almost full. I want to purchase an ssd to use as the boot/system drive. I do not want to shell out for a large sdd. I do not want to do a fresh install of windows unless I can save all of my settings and not have to reinstall...