Windows 10: cannot modify services.msc because startup type is grayed out

Discus and support cannot modify services.msc because startup type is grayed out in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just upgraded to Windows 10. It's a little slow, even after a full disk cleanup. So I wanted to tweak the services. When I attempt to disable an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Leah01, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Leah01 Win User

cannot modify services.msc because startup type is grayed out

I just upgraded to Windows 10. It's a little slow, even after a full disk cleanup. So I wanted to tweak the services. When I attempt to disable an unneeded service, I can't do so because Startup Type is grayed out. If I want to stop a running service, I can't because Service Status is grayed out.

I am logged into an Administrator Account and all other user accounts are logged off.

Any ideas why I may be unable to change services?

Thank you, all, for your help.

:)

Leah01, Jan 21, 2016

2. Windows Defender can not be turned on after update to build 9860

Windows+R...services.msc.....

windows defender network is running in manual---I Cannot change it to automatic---it is grayed out (startup type, etc)

windows defender service -- start button is lit -- after I hit start - a new window pops up -- "Windows Defender Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

I cannot change any manual buttons to automatic as they are grayed out...

MarkPacana, Jan 21, 2016
  3. problem with windows installer package in Windows 10

I have a problem with step 7. "Change the Startup Type to Automatic (default is Manual), and then

restart the computer."
    I cannot change my startup type to automatic. It is grayed out in Manual. Is there a way to change this?

Mrs.Rodgers, Jan 21, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Welcome to the forum.

Tweaking services to gain performance is an exercise in futility. The belief that it will is a myth that just will not die. Even if you were to disable services to the point that functionality was severely impacted the gain in performance would be negligible.

Whatever your problem, tweaking services is not the answer.

There are potentially serious risks in involved as well.

LMiller7, Jan 21, 2016
  5. Leah01 Win User
    Thanks for the tip. I have tweaked services in earlier OS with good results.

I ran into MANY problems with the upgrade. I call Microsoft, and to each issue I raised (e.g. I could not get into Safe Mode successfully, Edge kept crashing, etc.), the rep told me, "This is on the list of known issues in Windows 10 upgrades. Microsoft is working on it." I just reverted to Windows 8.1!

Leah01, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot modify services.msc because startup type is grayed out - Similar Threads - cannot modify services

2. When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed...: When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed out. I know how to change the Start value in the registry, but how do I actually "un-gray" the service?When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type...
  3. When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed...: When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed out. I know how to change the Start value in the registry, but how do I actually "un-gray" the service?When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type...
  4. Cannot edit Permissions, grayed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot edit Permissions, grayed out: I am the only ever owner or user of my computer, but I cannot download to my C: Program Files folder because I am not the admin whatever that means. I tried to edit permissions for the folder there are several users for whatever reason and I figured I would give all...
  5. Location Services Disabled and Grayed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location Services Disabled and Grayed out: Hi, I'm having a problem with location services being disabled. In Settings/Privacy/Location, "Allow access to location on this device" is off, and the "Change" button is grayed out. "Allow apps to access your location" is also set to "Off" and grayed out. Above everything,...
  6. Location Services Disabled and Grayed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location Services Disabled and Grayed out: Hi, I'm having a problem with location services being disabled. In Settings/Privacy/Location, "Allow access to location on this device" is off, and the "Change" button is grayed out. "Allow apps to access your location" is also set to "Off" and grayed out. Above everything,...
  7. Location Services Disabled and Grayed out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Windows Installer service grayed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Installer service grayed out: Any have idea about Windows installer service gradyed out ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-installer-service-grayed-out/f1b6f3ad-ab7b-48b2-a572-13a4cbc6c191
  9. File History Service is Grayed Out & Cannot Turn Back On

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Service is Grayed Out & Cannot Turn Back On: I have an issue with my laptop. 1) My File History Service is grayed out...Cannot turn back on. Here are my steps to attempt to turn on the File History Service. I typed services in the search box ---> then opened the service app ----> located File History Service --->...
  10. Location Services Grayed Out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Location Services Grayed Out: How do I turn on Location Services on my Windows 10 PC. I have tried many fixed from the Community but nothing has worked. Is there a real fix for this problem. Thank you. Richard...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows services startup type greyed out

2. wuauserv startup type greyed out

3. cannot modify some services

4. services.msc starup type greyed out,
  5. windows update startup type greyed,
  6. windows installer startup type grayed,
  7. windows startup type grayedout in system.msc,
  8. wuauserv grayed out,
  9. how to fix windows update service startup type greyed out,
  10. cannot edit services.msc,