Windows 10: Cannot mount network drives - drive letters not available

Discus and support Cannot mount network drives - drive letters not available in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I have a strange problem. I have some harddrives on a "server" computer in my homenetwork running win 7. From my "client" running windows 10 I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by caid602, Sep 19, 2015.

1. caid602 Win User

Cannot mount network drives - drive letters not available

Hi

I have a strange problem. I have some harddrives on a "server" computer in my homenetwork running win 7. From my "client" running windows 10 I am mounting these drives using

psexec \\server -u username -p password -d net share F=F:\ /GRANT:user,Full /GRANT:media,read 2>nul
    net use F: \\server\F

Today my client crashed and I had to remove the graphics card. Since then I cannot enter my network drives anymore, the commands seem to run, but when I try accessing the drives I get a message indicating I should put a media into these drives. Also, I cannot mount them manually using "map network drive" since the drive letters are not available. I tried removing them from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices (they are listed there as "\DosDevices\F" etc.), but once I restart, they are there (in the registry) again.

Any idea how I could fix this? Win10 somehow seems to remember that thes drives once have been there before and keeps blocking the drive letters...

:)

caid602, Sep 19, 2015
  2. colinobj Win User

Mount ISO image that persists or mount at start-up

Using Windows 10 Home.

I want to have an ISO disk image mounted permanently and assigned to drive letter U - rather like mapping a network drive.

I know how to mount an ISO image in file explorer and assign it a drive letter in diskmgmt. But, when I re-start the computer, the mount does not persist and I have to do the mount/drive-letter assignment all over again.

I know there are 3rd party utilities which can do this, but how do I do it in Windows 10?

Is there a way of making the mount and drive-letter persist?

Or perhaps a command that can be executed at start-up to mount and assign a drive letter?

Or can it be done by kidding the "Map network drive" to map it somehow?

colinobj, Sep 19, 2015
  3. colinobj Win User
    Mount ISO image that persists or mount at start-up

I think you may be misinterpreting my query - please read again.

I mounted the ISO file using file explorer - it allocated the drive letter E:. I then changed it to U: using diskmgmt. The reason is that I have a family history program that needs a CD to be available when I use it, and Ive told it that the CD is in drive
    U:

This works fine until I re-boot, so I then have to repeat the process.

So, I need a way of either making the mount and drive letter persist after a restart (like network drives) or to mount and assign a drive letter at start-up.

colinobj, Sep 19, 2015
  4. louis Win User

Hi, dont know if this is relevant anymore, but in my case the H drive (which what was missing from the list of letters to choose from when mapping a new network drive) was actually used and just overlooked. Poweriso had shifted its drive lettering when I removed the previous mapping to H before adding new drives to a NAS device where H was pointing to.
    Careful look at contents of "This PC" and there was H, a virtual CD Rom drive. Poweriso number of drives set to none, restart, H was in the list again ready for mapping.

louis, Nov 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Cannot mount network drives - drive letters not available - Similar Threads - Cannot mount network

2. Dislk drive letter not available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dislk drive letter not available: I have just upgraded to WIN 11 on my desktop PC. Previously, I had used Disk Management to change an external drive to "H". Now, even if I move this drive to different usb portals, it is renamed "G". So I again used Disk Management to try change it back only to find that "H"...
  3. Dislk drive letter not available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dislk drive letter not available: I have just upgraded to WIN 11 on my desktop PC. Previously, I had used Disk Management to change an external drive to "H". Now, even if I move this drive to different usb portals, it is renamed "G". So I again used Disk Management to try change it back only to find that "H"...
  4. Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot change drive letter of mounted vhdx: The option to set a drive letter for a mounted vhdx is disabled. I created the vhdx using the Windows 10 built in Backup and Restore feature. This created the vhdx file on an external drive. I then plugged that external drive into a different Windows 10 machine. From...
  5. How to delay mounting network drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delay mounting network drives: Hi there! i'm running windows 10 PRO ver 1909, and i bought a synology NAS. Since the first day, after mapping the network drives, i noticed everytime i reboot my laptop, windows tries to mount the drives first (or so it seems), as the wifi takes a sec longer to connect, it...
  6. How to delay mounting network drives

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delay mounting network drives: Hi there! i'm running windows 10 PRO ver 1909, and i bought a synology NAS. Since the first day, after mapping the network drives, i noticed everytime i reboot my laptop, windows tries to mount the drives first (or so it seems), as the wifi takes a sec longer to connect, it...
  7. drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters: Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M Drive. However now it is been allocated a drive letter of P. When I go to "This PC", I can see the drive letter M is showing...
  8. drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters: Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M Drive. However now it is been allocated a drive letter of P. When I go to "This PC", I can see the drive letter M is showing...
  9. Mounting a Folder as shared network drive

Mounting a Folder as shared network drive: Hi there not sure if it's me or has W10 changed the way you mount network drives I used to be able to add say HDD2/Music as a "Network drive" on say Z. Now it seems I can only mount HDD2 as a network drive. (I.e top level directory rather than one of the subfolders - in...
  10. How to mount cloud storage as drive letters / mapped network drives

How to mount cloud storage as drive letters / mapped network drives: I'd like to mount Google Drive as a mapped network drive. (Then use the drive letter for programs so I can get the size of files/folders in my cloud storage, search for specific file/folders as well as able to search for file dups). I've searched online and found a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mountable drive letter not available