Windows 10: Cannot move documents folder

Discus and support Cannot move documents folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am trying to move my documents folder from the external drive I put it on before installing Win10. It looks like its going to move, then says its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AFTommy, Jul 12, 2015.

1. AFTommy Win User

Cannot move documents folder

I am trying to move my documents folder from the external drive I put it on before installing Win10. It looks like its going to move, then says its done but nothing has moved. Any ideas?

:)

AFTommy, Jul 12, 2015
  2. AlexNeman Win User

I accidentally move the Documents folder to Downloads folder on Windows 10

I accidentally move the Documents folder to Downloads folder, but I cannot have permission to move the folder back to user folder

AlexNeman, Jul 12, 2015
  3. decorvus Win User
    Moving the location of one quick access folder also moves another

My documents folder and music folder are somehow messed up. Whenever I move documents for example, the location of the music folder also moves and they both have the same name. Its so frustrating since I have no idea how to fix this.

Here's a screenshot of the quick access folders

Cannot move documents folder [​IMG]

So when I move the location of the documents folder, it also moves the music folder to that same location, and both folders are named "Documents".

If I move the music folder, the documents folder also moves to that location, and both folders are renamed to "Music". Its an endless loop I cannot escape

decorvus, Jul 12, 2015
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there. You cannot duplicate a folder with the same name. Either rename the folder on the external drive to let's say My Documents 2 or My Docs. Then move. Or if you want to add those documents into your My Documents in 10 open the folder on the external drive > Press Ctrl/A key combo > Press Ctrl/C key combo > Then open My Documents folder in 10 > Then press Ctrl/V key combo to paste.

Hope that helps.

Tony K, Jul 12, 2015
  5. Tony K Win User
    Sorry, I should have told you that if there's a warning on a desktop.ini file, press do not copy.

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot move documents folder - Similar Threads - Cannot move documents

2. Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive: Hello,I've been trying to move my documents folder out of my OneDrive I am on my laptop, and I accidentally let it sync everything in my documents folder on my laptop and desktop. I turned off all the backups in the OneDrive app, made sure everything required in the registry...
  3. Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive: Hello,I've been trying to move my documents folder out of my OneDrive I am on my laptop, and I accidentally let it sync everything in my documents folder on my laptop and desktop. I turned off all the backups in the OneDrive app, made sure everything required in the registry...
  4. Onedrive Documents folder moved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  5. Onedrive Documents folder moved

Onedrive Documents folder moved: Good afternoonHaving purchased a laptop in addition to my desktop setup, I have set it up with access to my onedrive files. During the process the 'Documents' folder moved to become a subfolder of e-mail attachments. Step 1 - panic everything is gone. Step 2 - oh it's still...
  6. Files in Document Folder moving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in Document Folder moving: Files in Document Folder move up and down, making it difficult to click on a file. Sometimes scrolling down in Document Folder the cursor will jump to the top. This does not happen in other folders, such as the Download Folder....
  7. Files in Document Folder moving

Files in Document Folder moving: Files in Document Folder move up and down, making it difficult to click on a file. Sometimes scrolling down in Document Folder the cursor will jump to the top. This does not happen in other folders, such as the Download Folder....
  8. Files in Document Folder moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Moving my Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving my Documents folder: Having an issue with space on my C:\ drive, so in Users\Tom\ right clicking on the Documents folder, clicking on the Location tab and selecting "Move". Filled in the new location N:\Users\Tom\Documents. System replied with a confirmation window confirming Old location and New...
  10. Cannot move Documents folder to new location

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move Documents folder to new location: Short version: I'm getting an error message when I attempt to move my Documents folder to a new location (same volume):The folder can't be moved here...The filename or extension is too long (see attachment). Longer version: I want to move my Documents, Videos, and Pictures...