Windows 10: Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C:

Discus and support Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C: in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a small SSD that has windows installed, and a larger SSD and HDD that I use to store the majority of my programs/files. When I try to install a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by EdibleCactus, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C:

I have a small SSD that has windows installed, and a larger SSD and HDD that I use to store the majority of my programs/files. When I try to install a game like Sea of Thieves or Zoo Tycoon on any other drive than my C drive, it fails during the install step. I have tried reseting the store, double checked windows is up to date, restarted the computer multiple times (once even during the install), and ensured the date and time were correct. Even if the game is completely installed on the C drive, when I move it via the apps part of the control panel using the move command, it fails during the last part of the transfer. I only have one user account and it has admin privledges.

I have not had problems installing programs or games on the other two drives before. I have only had problems with Sea of Thieves and Zoo Tycoon through the Windows Store. This makes me extremely hesistant to get any other apps on the store because I am almost out of space to install on my C drive.

Is there anything else I can try so I can move the games onto another drive?

:)

EdibleCactus, Jul 9, 2018
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C: ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jul 9, 2018
  3. little cat, Jul 9, 2018
  4. Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C:

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C:

1. Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C: - Similar Threads - Cannot move install

2. Microsoft store wont install anywhere other than C: Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft store wont install anywhere other than C: Drive: I need help my pc storage is all into my D: drive and yet your microsoft store wont let me change directory where he install file always on C: this is not a one time proble ive seen LOT and LOTS of post concerning this probleme and none of them worked for me why does...
  3. Microsoft store wont install anywhere other than C: Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store wont install anywhere other than C: Drive: I need help my pc storage is all into my D: drive and yet your microsoft store wont let me change directory where he install file always on C: this is not a one time proble ive seen LOT and LOTS of post concerning this probleme and none of them worked for me why does...
  4. Cannot set any drive other than C: for default install location in the Xbox app for Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot set any drive other than C: for default install location in the Xbox app for Windows: I recently added a new boot drive to my computer and did a clean install of Windows 11. However, ever since, the Xbox app no longer allows me to change the install location for games. I can select the drive on the dropdown list, but it instantly reverts back to C and games...
  5. Cannot set any drive other than C: for default install location in the Xbox app for Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot set any drive other than C: for default install location in the Xbox app for Windows: I recently added a new boot drive to my computer and did a clean install of Windows 11. However, ever since, the Xbox app no longer allows me to change the install location for games. I can select the drive on the dropdown list, but it instantly reverts back to C and games...
  6. Installing a windows app on another drive than C:

Installing a windows app on another drive than C:: Hello friends, I reinstall my windows and lost my previously installed games. Now I want to re-install Forza Horizon app but it only let me install it on C: which I don't have enough space on it. I have another hard drive as D: but it doesn't let me install it on that...
  7. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Installation cannot choose drive other than C?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Installation cannot choose drive other than C?: When attempting to install the new "Microsoft Flight Simulator", the only drive option is the C: drive, no other drives are listed in the install location selector: [ATTACH] In my Windows 10 settings, storage settings, I have chosen my D: drive for all the storage options...
  8. Fixing : Moved Apps to other storage than C: drive appearing Offline .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fixing : Moved Apps to other storage than C: drive appearing Offline .: So I like to move most of my downloaded games through Microsoft store to a different storage than the C: partition so not to eat up the small space I assign to it so it can be de-fragmented faster (An ancient performance tweak I am accustomed to) . So yesterday I was faced...
  9. System Reserved on drive other than C.

System Reserved on drive other than C.: Hi all, Just installed windows from a usb on to a computer I just built and was just about to stripe two drives together, however one of the drives has a System Reserved partition so I cannot do this. Why did the partition go to that drive and not my C drive? Can I move...
  10. Install on another drive other than C?

Install on another drive other than C?: So i have the latest windows 10 version, but i cannot seem to install apps to any where except the C drive. And the option to change is disabled. See image attached. Why is it disabled? How do I get it to work ? I am on windows 10 pro if that matters. 33611