Windows 10: Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10)

Discus and support Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have had windows 10 for over a year now, and I have recently discovered I am unable to move around any tiles or pin new ones. I have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheBigFootsDad, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10)

I have had windows 10 for over a year now, and I have recently discovered I am unable to move around any tiles or pin new ones.
    I have tried "TileCreator" from the windows store, and that also doesn't work.
    I cannot even unpin current tiles.
    Here is an image below of what happens when I try to add a new tile:

Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10) [​IMG]
    I appreciate any help I can get on this

:)

TheBigFootsDad, Jun 6, 2016

2. Cannot pin items to start menu on windows 10

Hello WimBekker,

Have you tried to restart the process 'explorer.exe' through task manager ?

And have you tried to restart your computer ?

Mayank-Longiany, Jun 6, 2016
  3. WimBekker Win User
    Cannot pin items to start menu on windows 10

Just upgraded from windows 8.1 to 10.

I cannot pin several programs to the windows start menu. If I click in explorer on a program and select 'pin to start', nothing is pinned to the start menu.

Some files are not found on the start menu. I.e. in w8.1 I've had two shortcuts to umlet and sdedit. Both shortcuts are still available in %appdata%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. W10 cannot find umlet in start menu but it can find sdedit.
    I cannot drag any of these shortcuts to the start menu.

Some applications I cannot drag from the Most used bar (like VirtualBox.exe) but others I can (like cmd).

Please help me with this, I want to be able to have any exe and/or shortcut be available on the start menu.

P.s I'm administrator on my system and I've done all checks.

Thanks, Wim

WimBekker, Jun 6, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10)

2 suggestions :

1.Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to repair if any found.
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

2. If system file check does not fix the problem, dp a Repair InstallRepair Install will allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation is automatic.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

davidhk, Jun 6, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    Can you resize the Start menu and see if this automatically moves some of the tiles around. Click the right hand edge and drag it all the way to the left for example.

philc43, Jun 6, 2016
  6. I did all of the above, but at the very end of the
    process it gave me this:
    Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10) [​IMG]

I'd rather not do an OS restore, and I looked at the website linked in the image, but it provided no help to me.

TheBigFootsDad, Jun 6, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    RE# : Source files could not be found.

Use the Tech Bench link to download your version of Windows 10 ISO file.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench
    Make sure you pick the same Windows 10 Edition, Language and Bit-version as your computer is now running.

Once you have the iso downloaded, right click at the ISO > click Mount >leave it there.
    Now open the elevated command prompt and copy and paste this................

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

***Note : H is the drive where the iso is mounted. Change it if your driver letter is different.***

When it is completed, you should get the report that the operation is successful.
    Now run the sfc /scannow again. It should be ok this time.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10)

1. Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10) - Similar Threads - Cannot move pin

2. Windows 10 Start Menu: cannot move tiles, if they pin standard items like "Documents",...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Start Menu: cannot move tiles, if they pin standard items like "Documents",...: I think I ran into a weird Windows 10 Bug, I'll describe the steps below.Windows 10 pro, no custom changes doneopen "This PC", right-click "Documents", click "Properties"go to tab "Location", change it to a valid location on a different partition eg:...
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu: cannot move tiles, if they pin standard items like "Documents",...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Start Menu: cannot move tiles, if they pin standard items like "Documents",...: I think I ran into a weird Windows 10 Bug, I'll describe the steps below.Windows 10 pro, no custom changes doneopen "This PC", right-click "Documents", click "Properties"go to tab "Location", change it to a valid location on a different partition eg:...
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu: cannot move tiles, if they pin standard items like "Documents",...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Pinned items disappear in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinned items disappear in start menu: I'm facing a problem recently. I pinned some softwares in start menu. But when I turned on my PC again, I saw that they are missing !!! I've pinned again and they disappeared again Would you like to tell me that what's the problem and how can I fix it?...
  6. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  7. Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible: I pinned Windows Update to my Start Menu. After some time, I noticed it was gone and tried to re-pin it. But when I right-clicked on the setting, all that showed up was "Unpin from Start." Selecting that option causes the dialog window to crash/close. As things stand, I...
  8. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?: ....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders selected in the Personalization/Start settings. Is this not customizable? Or has anyone figured out a workaround for this...
  9. Cannot pin any items to Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot pin any items to Start: Build 10061, clean install. Had issues with Start Menu and Search not working at all but disabling Radeon Mobile GPU and switchable graphics in BIOS, using the onboard Intel HD GPU only they both work now without any other issues than the one mentioned in the title: I simply...
  10. Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10: Hey guys. Lately Windows has started behaving really odd in the way it deals with pinning. It was fine when I first set up win10 but now it doesn't work properly. I want to see if I can resolve this as I really don't feel like wiping and installing everything again....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant mover some items pinned in start menu

2. cannot move windows 10 start menu items

3. cannot move explorer to start menu