Windows 10: Cannot move start menu tiles

Discus and support Cannot move start menu tiles in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I cannot move/rearrange start menu tiles. when I click to select a tile, it immediately opens the application and closes the menu. I am running Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by davehu, Sep 10, 2017.

1. davehu Win User

Cannot move start menu tiles

I cannot move/rearrange start menu tiles. when I click to select a tile, it immediately opens the application and closes the menu. I am running Win 10 v1703

:)

davehu, Sep 10, 2017
  2. Ju-EunKim Win User

Not showing Start tiles in Windows 10 Home

Thank you.

Now the 'Show more tiles' is available, but I still cannot move around or add tiles in the start menu.

Is there something I can do for it?

Ju-EunKim, Sep 10, 2017
  3. message 'Some settings are managed by your organization' when trying to access settings in Windows 10

friends I have a problem on my windows 10 pc plz help! to solve it

I cannot change specific settings from start menu.

I cannot change the location of tiles, cannot add or remove tiles, cannot resize them, can't move them around.

These are settings which I can't change from settings menu in start.

1. Show more tiles option in Settings->Personalization->Start is turned gray i.e. can't be changed.

2. This is written on the top of the page. "Some settings are managed by your organization".

Only setting that i can access is to turn a live tile off by right click on that live tile. Right-click->more->turn live tile off. Nothing else available.

Original title: windows 10 start menu problem

Suman Sarkar., Sep 10, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

To move the tiles you need to click-and-drag them. That is, click and hold down the button on a tile then drag it to where you want. More in this tutorial...

Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10

5. davehu Win User
    I know how to do that. What I am saying is that it isn't working. The very instant I click on a tile the start menu closes and the application is opened. there is no opportunity to drag.

davehu, Sep 10, 2017
  6. cbwilsha Win User
    Have you tried a Restart?

cbwilsha, Sep 10, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    That's a very good suggestion, it often resets 'oddities' that have crept into the system. It has to be a Restart though, Shut Down then turning back on doesn't do a full restart from cold if Fast Start up is enabled.

8. davehu Win User

Every morning. it's been like this for a week.

davehu, Sep 13, 2017
  9. robognome Win User
    Hmm... so the app launches before you even release he button?

This seems unlikely to cause this, but under accessibility options for windows, do you have your desktop set up to launch programs with a single click rather than double-click?

Or maybe you have some odd mouse/pointing-device driver setting that treats clicks differently than normal. Some tablets input devices do this if you set them up this way. Or the drivers just break themselves. Even if you didn't change setting, sometimes windows magic happens to change them.

Shots in the dark, I know...

robognome, Sep 13, 2017
  10. davehu Win User
    good thought on the single click, but that's not it. i have it set to double click. STILL NEED HELP ON THIS

davehu, Sep 14, 2017
  11. davehu Win User
    It's been a month since I posted this and I finally figured it out. The culprit was my wireless mouse. I noticed that sometimes if I hit the mouse button really hard and fast I could move the times. But it was intermittent. That led me to thinking that a delay caused by wireless transmission could be the problem. I switched to a wired mouse and moving tiles worked as expected. Thanks to all who offered advice

davehu, Oct 14, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    @davehu,

Good detective work, and thanks for coming back to tell us.

Please mark the thread 'Solved' so others can benefit from your experiences.

Thema:

1. Cannot move start menu tiles - Similar Threads - Cannot move start

2. Start Menu Tiles...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  3. Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own: Every now and then I open my start menu and folders such as the ones labeled I, W and V below have moved far below where I put them. Sometimes they end up overlapping. I wondered if I just somehow moved them by accident I'm pretty sure I didn't and other strange things happen...
  4. Cannot move random start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move random start menu tiles: I have certain start menu tiles, regardless of size, that can be displaced by other tiles, but if you try to move them anywhere on their own, they just snap back into their original position. This condition has existed for me I would say years now. As in the past, the only...
  5. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  6. Cannot move start menu tiles

Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move the tiles on the start menu. As soon as I try to click and drag one it immediately disapears, only to reappear in the original location when I reboot. Everything else seems to work with them, I can pin new apps (although I haven't worked out how to get them in...
  7. How do I move tiles in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I move tiles in the start menu?: Drag and drop doesn't do anything, the tile just disappears an reappears when I release the mouse. 21577
  8. cannot edit tiles in windows Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot edit tiles in windows Start menu: Hi all, Wired issues popping up now... *Smile I cannot seem to be able to edit the tiles in the start menu. I cannot move, resize and add tiles. I've checked the register for a value that disables edit in Policies Explorer under HKLM and HKCU and I have nothing...
  9. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379
  10. Moving tiles to start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving tiles to start menu: Is it possible to move a tile to the taskbar or the start menu. 27437