Windows 10: Cannot online volume to format flash drive

Discus and support Cannot online volume to format flash drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I recently burned an ISO onto my flash drive to install Linux onto another PC. Now I'm done and ready to format the drive. It won't show up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rct2guy, Sep 4, 2017.

1. rct2guy Win User

Cannot online volume to format flash drive

Hello,

I recently burned an ISO onto my flash drive to install Linux onto another PC. Now I'm done and ready to format the drive. It won't show up in Computer or anything like I that, so I went to Disk Management to see if I could find it and try to format it. In doing so, it created the volume, but failed to format as the volume is offline. I entered DISKPART to try and online the volume, but it simply responds "DiskPart could not online the selected volume."

Can someone explain to me what's going on or what I'm doing wrong? How do I get my flash drive working again?

Thanks much!

:)

rct2guy, Sep 4, 2017
  2. aakkam22 Win User

Formatting a flashdrive

Try deleting the partitions on the drive using Disk Management.

1. Open your Start menu, type diskmngmt.msc and hit Enter.

2. Find your flash drive in the visual diagram. Right-click all the partitions of the flash drive and click "Delete Volume".

WARNING: All data on the flash drive will be permanently deleted when you click Delete Volume. Make sure that this is your intent.

3. Right-click on the new black, unallocated area of the flash drive and click New Simple Volume. Follow the steps to set up the volume and format it for the first time.

Let us know if this works for you.

aakkam22, Sep 4, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Install windows from hard drive to another hard drive

Hi Justin,

From looking at the disc management Window, can I assume you installed Windows onto Disc 0 (C a 128GB SSD)?

Your installation does not seem to have gone correctly . . .

I could expect to see 2 partitions on the drive Windows is installed onto - C Drive and System Volume

For some unknown reason, your System Volume seems to be on D, which is wrong, it should be on the same drive as Windows and that is why you cannot format that drive . . .

Honestly, what I would do is:

Buy an 8GB Flash Drive

Create Installation media on the Flash Drive

Remove all drives from your System except the one you are going to install Windows onto

Install Windows

Once the installation has completed, turn your system off

Then put the other 2 drives back into your system

Start your system again

You will then be able to format that drive . . .

DaveM121, Sep 4, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

You set the bios to boot usb disable secure boot if you have it then it should boot ok

Samuria, Sep 4, 2017
  5. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey rct2guy,
    It might just be a drive letter conflict, so try changing the Drive Letter for the Flash Drive in Disk Management.

Eagle51, Sep 4, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    With the flash drive inserted, open a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin). Run:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <-replace # with the actual number of the flash drive
    clean <- this will erase the disk selected above - make sure it is the flash drive!
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    assign
    exit
    exit

Hopefully that straightens it out.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot online volume to format flash drive - Similar Threads - Cannot online volume

2. Format flash drive exFAT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Format flash drive exFAT: Format flash drive exFAT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-flash-drive-exfat/9b4ae7be-66d8-4279-8e68-fb2d07745b31
  3. Format flash drive exFAT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Format flash drive exFAT: Format flash drive exFAT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-flash-drive-exfat/9b4ae7be-66d8-4279-8e68-fb2d07745b31
  4. Cannot format flash drive with Linux i.s.o on Windows PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot format flash drive with Linux i.s.o on Windows PC: I have a bootable Linux i.s.o. on a flash drive which I had prepared on my Windows PC and had installed the Linux Distro on another PC. . But now I am trying to format the drive on the same Windows PC but I keep getting the following message: “The system cannot find the file...
  5. Cannot format flash drive with Linux i.s.o on Windows PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot format flash drive with Linux i.s.o on Windows PC: I have a bootable Linux i.s.o. on a flash drive which I had prepared on my Windows PC and had installed the Linux Distro on another PC. . But now I am trying to format the drive on the same Windows PC but I keep getting the following message: “The system cannot find the file...
  6. Cannot format flash drive with Linux i.s.o on Windows PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. USB Flash drive not able to format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash drive not able to format: Hi there, I'm having a problem that my USB drive is not formatting. Whenever I format it, it gives me write-protection error. I tried to format it in my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 to see if there was an issue with Windows 10/my PC but of no luck. I also tried removing...
  8. windows cannot complete format of usb flash drive

windows cannot complete format of usb flash drive: I have a 1TB usb flash drive that was Ex-Fat32 formatted. I want to put my System images for my laptop and desktop on this drive and when I try to format the drive to NTFS I get the same error every time "Windows could not complete the format of this drive" but it doesn't say...
  9. Formatting flash drives

Formatting flash drives: Hi all. Lately, every flash drive I've bought requires to be NTFS formatted. Quick formatting gives me the option to change allocation size. Is there a specific size I should be using or just go small? 39013
  10. Format usb flash drive

Format usb flash drive: Hi looking for a good program to format my USB flash drive. Windows 10 won't recognise my flash drive it knows it's there but it's not showing up in drives I used the flash drive in my zgemma and the zgemma changes the partition in some way so PC won't recognise it now. I...