Windows 10: Cannot open desktop icons or create valid shortcuts

Discus and support Cannot open desktop icons or create valid shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since the last win 10 update, my desktop Folder icons do not work right. When I left click I get this [img] when I right click I get this [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chuckj5, Feb 13, 2016.

1. chuckj5 Win User

Cannot open desktop icons or create valid shortcuts

Since the last win 10 update, my desktop Folder icons do not work right. When I left click I get this

Cannot open desktop icons or create valid shortcuts [​IMG]

when I right click I get this

The only way I can open a folder (such as Downloads) is to right click, then select open.

I have tried creating new shortcuts and they do not work. Regular program shortcuts work fine.
    If I create a new short cut to a file, (ie a photo), I have to right click and select OPEN to view the file, then when I create a shortcut, it does not work unless I right click and select open.

I restored system to earlier date and all is well. When restarting computer I get force fed update.
    Selecting NEW from context menu was not there. I fixed that. Why come I get cmd when I try to open a folder??

All assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

:)

chuckj5, Feb 13, 2016
  2. Babu V Win User

How do I create a short cut for website in Windows10?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

If you are using Edge, you cannot create a shortcut of webpage on to the desktop, instead, you can
    Pin to the start.

If you want to create a shortcut, please use Internet Explorer.

• On the startmenu, click
      All apps, click Internet Explorer.

• Open the website that you want to create a shortcut, resize your browser so you can see the browser and your desktop in the same screen.

• Left click the icon located to the left side of the address bar. This is where you see the full URL to the website.

• Continue to hold down the mouse button and drag the icon to your desktop. This creates the shortcut.

• Create a Desktop Shortcut to a Website.
    Hope this helps.

Babu V, Feb 13, 2016
  3. microsvc Win User
    Shortcut Links to EXEs don't work [was: cannot launch previous apps]

That troubleshooter said I had proxy issues which were fixed.

I rebooted, and checked functionality anyways and the issue still persists.

The only thing that works when clicking on it's icon is Edge and Power.

I right click the desktop, New, Shortcut and browse to a working executable file and created the desktop shortcut. When I double clicked on the new valid shortcut, nothing happens.

HELP!

microsvc, Feb 13, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Chuck, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, download and merge the .reg file for the listed lnk item in OPTION TWO of the tutorial. It will restore the default associations and registry entries for shortcuts (LNK files) that hopefully fix this for you.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Feb 13, 2016
  5. chuckj5 Win User
    I followed the instructions and all to no avail. I did find I could not open any folder anywhere on the computer with the usual left double click. I keep getting

and the "cmd" is still the top word if I right click.

any thoughts on what can cause this?

Thanks

chuckj5, Feb 14, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Since this is happening with folders and not with shortcuts, download and merge the .reg files for the listed folder and directory items in the same tutorial instead. *Smile

Brink, Feb 14, 2016
  7. chuckj5 Win User
    Something messed up my registry really bad, at any rate, thanks to your assistance, my system is now in working order. I did save almost all your .reg files in my utilities folder. The problem affected the desktop icons, no matter what they were. Even the shortcuts to the drives did not function.
    You should be elevated to Windows Saint Brink

chuckj5, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot open desktop icons or create valid shortcuts - Similar Threads - Cannot open desktop

2. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  3. cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders: Hi all, Appreciate all the welcome posts. I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows...
  4. Creating A Desktop Shortcut To A Opened Page ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating A Desktop Shortcut To A Opened Page ?: Hello, Embarrassed to ask something so simple, but will blame it on old age. Using W10. Let's say I open up some page from a web site. Fine, it appears. But, how can i create a shortcut to leave on my Desktop, such that in the future simply clicking on it will find and...
  5. Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut: Hi everyone. I am having a problem after virus infecting (actually it happened few months ago). After removing the virus, my desktop icons and files on desktop are not shown, while they are still in Desktop folder. Also, I can't create new shortcut. So how can I fix it? Thank...
  6. Cannot create desktop shortcuts that work.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot create desktop shortcuts that work.: I can create shortcuts that then appear on my desktop. However, when I double click on those shortcuts, they open a new Google search window rather than directing me to the specific website for which I've created the shortcut. The shortcut title is good, but it appears that...
  7. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  8. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  9. Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts: In trying to create desktop shortcuts to websites that have recognizable icons, instead of Microsoft's generic, look-alike ones, I tried to follow this excellent, step-by-step YouTube video which was generously submitted by Edwin, however I got stuck at one point, and don't...
  10. Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 Desktop Icon Settings allows you to add or remove and change the icon of the common This PC, User's Files, Network, Recycle Bin, and Control Panel...