Windows 10: Cannot open Display Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Cannot open Display Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The problem here is simple or at least I THINK it is. There's no customization tab to change the ico look of the folders I want to change. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mary195, May 16, 2016.

1. Mary195 Win User

Cannot open Display Settings in Windows 10

The problem here is simple
    or at least I THINK it is.
    There's no customization tab to change the ico look of the folders I want to change.
    I tried using Local Group Policy Editor, (Disable the Display Control Panel) didn't do anything
    I tried to also fix the issue by using HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    But still, nothing. Can you guys help me out here? would appreciate it.

:)

Mary195, May 16, 2016
  2. nutmix Win User

cannot open Display settings after windows 10 update, get "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action"

Windows 10 did an upgrade last night without asking me or warning me, which is unacceptable for a critical work machine.

Now I cant open the "Display settings"

The dialog says:

ms-settings:display

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association from the Default programs control panel

I tried:

• rebooting the machine
    • sfc /scannow (nothing found)
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth (nothing found)
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (nothing found)

Action center is also broken. The icon is still in the bottom right, but if I left click, or right click and say "open action center" nothing happens.

Before the forced update, no problems, after the forced update, windows broken. It was the ms update which caused the problem. I have a standard Lenovo laptop which has worked without tissue for 3 years until today.

I have read many similar posts, but not found any solutions, other than restore from a backup which is not an option.

nutmix, May 16, 2016
  3. cannot open Display settings after windows 10 update, get "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action"

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with
    Display settings issue. I will certainly help you.

As you have tried different troubleshooting steps with no avail, I suggest you to
    try the suggestion given by Ramesh Srinivasan on March 6 2016 in the below link and check if it helps.

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action" message on opening system files after installing KB 3140743 and KB 3139907 on Windows 10.

Write to us, if you need further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, May 16, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

No there is no way to change the mandated items that Microsoft deems not user accessible anymore, even with third party utilities. Also you have to keep the Display properties active, because if they are disabled and something happens, you can never get in to fix the problem.

bro67, May 16, 2016
  5. Mary195 Win User
    I got what you mean, but I'm not trying to change anything. Just trying to get the tab active. If keeping the display properties active will solve the issue, I'll work on it

Mary195, May 16, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Display Properties will only come up when you right click on Desktop or go into the Control Panel. It is not made to be running in the background processes all of the time.

Whatever issue that you are having, you may want to uninstall the driver and the device, then set Windows to not activate Device Drivers, reboot and install the proper driver from the computer manufacturer or chipset manufacturer. NVidia chipsets have been an issue for Windows 10, since it was in original development.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot open Display Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot open Display

2. Cannot open settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open settings: I recently bought a new PC laptop with Windows 10 and I am not able to open the settings under the Windows menu. How can I resolve this problem? Thanks for your assistance....
  3. Display Settings Won't Open on Windows 10

Display Settings Won't Open on Windows 10: When I try to open the "Display" tab in the "System" tab of the Windows 10 settings, it freezes for a second then closes. It does this if I try to access any of the options contained within from the search bar, such as change resolution and such.All of the other settings tabs...
  4. Cannot open Settings app on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot open Settings app on Windows 10: Hello, I cannot open any of the settings on windows 10. I tried to perform sfc /scannow but the command prompt doesn't run with administrator rights even though I logged in as administrator. I can't create another user account and give administrator rights to it. sfc...
  5. Cannot open network settings windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open network settings windows 10: I see this question has been asked before and is now closed. The advice given appears to be the same as that offered from a search however none of the suggestions have worked for me. I cannot access the network settings by any possible route to change the network, I just get...
  6. cannot open windows 10 setting

cannot open windows 10 setting: how to fix seeting that cannot be opened? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-windows-10-setting/092e34a8-09db-45ec-aec1-8ee41d9dcfdf
  7. Cannot open Windows settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot open Windows settings: I have been unable to open the settings on windows 10 since a recent update. The app is stuck at the blue window with the settings logo for about a minute or so before closing on it's own. I tried to open the settings from the command prompt but it too waits and says that...
  8. Cannot open display settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot open display settings: Hello everyone I am having an issue on my Windows 10 machine where I cannot open displays settings, it flickers open, then crashes, I have tried a number of things to try to fix it including updating my video drivers, a lot of restarting, and a SFC scan, nothing has worked so...
  9. cannot open settings in Windows 10

cannot open settings in Windows 10: When I click on the Settings icon nothing happens. How do I get Settings to open? thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-settings-in-windows-10/88b2b190-4090-44ef-a715-5b6162065d91
  10. Cannot open Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot open Settings in Windows 10: Just upgraded. However, I just cannot get Settings to open. On clicking, a window opens and then disappers. Anybody who can help, please? Edge also does not work. Type in a URL and I get "This page is having a problem loading". 12945

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 ms-settings:display does not open