Windows 10: Cannot open file with .wav.shs extension

Discus and support Cannot open file with .wav.shs extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an audio file that was saved from a mobile telephone voicemail on either windows xp or windows 7 in 2009. It has a .wav.shs extension. I no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bimmerdriver, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Cannot open file with .wav.shs extension

I have an audio file that was saved from a mobile telephone voicemail on either windows xp or windows 7 in 2009. It has a .wav.shs extension. I no longer have the computer on which it was saved. I'm trying to play it, but unsuccessfully. I understand the shs extension is obsolete, but I'm quite desperate to find a way to play this file, because it has personal significance.

:)

bimmerdriver, Feb 28, 2017

2. Files encrypted by TeslaCrypt (.aaa extension) ransomware

how to fix file extension aaa, cannot open previously

infected files

[Original title: how to fix aaa file extensions]

DavidTowle, Feb 28, 2017
  3. MD_935 Win User
    Windows 10 doesn´t recogonize .docx extension / suggests thereis no app installed

When i want to open a docx file, Windows doesn´t recognize the extension. When I try to associate the extension with Word I cannot, as ´there is no app´ installed for the extension... How to fix?

MD_935, Feb 28, 2017
  4. Anak Win User

Cannot open file with .wav.shs extension

You have an unusual situation with that file, a .shs file is a scrap file from word or excel but you also have the .wav extension on it.
    They might play it by opening either word or excel then drag and drop the file into either document and if all is good the file should open automatically. You may see a prompt to choose a language, pick one, I'm assuming English and that should start the .wav file.

Sometimes I get .aspx files that I know are pdf's and all I do is add the .pdf after the .aspx and foxit reader will open the file, why I'm saying this is you may want to try removing the .shs from the file and see if it plays that way; Try clicking on the [now] .wav only file.
    You'll get a warning that doing that will/may damage the file so before you do any of this right click on the file and make a copy and work with the copy, saving the original.

Related:
    WD: What Is a Scrap (.shs) File?
    How to Open the SHS File Extension

5. Thank you for your reply. I know it's a strange situation. The file is from a long time ago and I don't even remember exactly how it was created. I do know for certain that I was able to play it originally. I did some searching about the file and tried dragging it into word and excel. I was able to drag it into word, but when I tried to open it, it asked what application to use. I tried windows media player and vlc. Neither worked. I was not even able to drag it into excel. I also tried simply removing the .shs extension and that didn't work either. I opened the file using notepad++ and I can see "Wave Sound" and "Soundrec" on the 8th line. There is a lot of gibberish embedded between NUL characters, so it's hard to tell where the WAV portion begins and ends or if it's inside some sort of wrapper.

As I said, I really would like to find a way to play this file, because it has personal significance. I wonder if I should try and set up a windows xp computer.

bimmerdriver, Feb 28, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The command line utility FFmpeg can convert almost any audio or video format into any other. In a command prompt type...
    ffmpeg -i yourfile.wav.shs
    ...to see if it recognises it as an audio file, and...
    ffmpeg -i yourfile.wav.shs output.wav
    to convert it.

Another approach may be to treat it as a .shs file that contains a .wav file. You may be able to extract the .wav it contains by opening it with 7-Zip File Manager. An easy way to do that is add a .7z extension to the file.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot open file with .wav.shs extension

1. Cannot open file with .wav.shs extension - Similar Threads - Cannot open file

2. Problem opening a .wav file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem opening a .wav file: I regularly receive and open .wav files on my computer. There is one file I've received from a trusted source that I cannot open/download. The download says it's 40.4MB, but when I download it, the properties screen says it's 00:00:00 in length. The error message I receive...
  3. Problem opening a .wav file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem opening a .wav file: I regularly receive and open .wav files on my computer. There is one file I've received from a trusted source that I cannot open/download. The download says it's 40.4MB, but when I download it, the properties screen says it's 00:00:00 in length. The error message I receive...
  4. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  5. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav: Hi folks,my audio devices produce thousands of .WAV files. To analyze them I use a R-package, but the scripts are using ".wav" , so the commands do not work with my files. I tried to rename them with a couple of files in a test folder on the C: drive withren *.WAV *.wavThis...
  6. batch renaming file extensions .WAV to .wav

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Recovering WAV Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering WAV Files: Good Day, My laptop recently got corrupted and unfortunately needs to reformat and removes all of its contents.I used Wondershare Recoverit to recover SOME of my files, Including the WAV Files.I need those WAV Files to work, But Unfortunately they are corrupted,Does anyone...
  8. Cannot Play WAV files

Cannot Play WAV files: I am running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, installed on a Dell XPS 8930 computer, OS build 18362.900. Attached is a Western Digital external hard drive, where many, if not most, of my mp4 and wav files are located. However, for whatever reason, I cannot play any of them....
  9. Mp3 and wav files won't open

Mp3 and wav files won't open: I go on the Libraries app on my taskbar, and try playing mp3 and wav files. When I click on them, nothing pops up, and the app says it's not responding at the top, then exists out. Help? [ATTACH]...
  10. .wav file not playing

.wav file not playing: I have a disk with some .wav files that will not play on any app on this computer. I have tried the default app (Groove music) and Windows Media Player. When using Groove I get the following error code: 0xc00d5212. When using WMP it just says it "encountered a problem when...