Windows 10: Cannot pin any items to Start

Discus and support Cannot pin any items to Start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Build 10061, clean install. Had issues with Start Menu and Search not working at all but disabling Radeon Mobile GPU and switchable graphics in BIOS,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kari, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Kari Win User

Cannot pin any items to Start

Build 10061, clean install. Had issues with Start Menu and Search not working at all but disabling Radeon Mobile GPU and switchable graphics in BIOS, using the onboard Intel HD GPU only they both work now without any other issues than the one mentioned in the title: I simply cannot pin anything to Start.

The option is there when I right click any Start Menu item, it's just that nothing happens when I select it:

Cannot pin any items to Start [​IMG]

Pinning to Taskbar works but the items cannot be pinned to Start. The Start layout reset as told in this tutorial does not fix the issue. I was suspecting my relocated Users folder might have something to do with this (I have sysprepped Users to ECannot pin any items to Start :) but I am quite sure this is not the culprit because I do the same on all my Windows installs and all other machines, both physical and virtual work as they should.

I would appreciate any comments and ideas.

:)

2. unable to pin to start any item from setting

Yes i was. I had pinned date and time to start and unpinned it somehow,

Now unable to pin it back to start.

All items under settings - systems and applications- cannot be pinned now. When I tap on this ( date and time and any other item), pin to start does not appear.

I need to pin it to start for easy access, else becomes tedious to navigate.

If this is a bug, please correct it .

Is there anything else that needs to be set now, to pin items to start?

vincy1---01, Apr 27, 2015
  3. 'PIN TO START MENU' OPTION MISSING IN WINDOWS 10

If his issue is similar to mine, than we can't answer your questions.

• What is the status when we click on "Pin to Start Menu"? This menu item is missing. How are we suppose to click a nonexistent menu item... (-_-)a
    • Do you receive any error code or error message on the screen? Since the menu item is nonexistent, we can't click it, hence, no error code/message
    • Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue? I don't know about TS. In my case, I don't change any settings. It just happen that way.

In addition to the problem of the TS, here is the issue on my MBP:

• I cannot reorganize my pinned item on Start Menu. No drag, no resize, nothing.
    • I cannot uninstall Store apps. Not from pinned items, not from all apps.

Is there any way to fix this?

黒月(Kurotsuki), Apr 27, 2015
  4. Cannot pin any items to Start

I had the same problem; they showed up on a reboot.

cyberrufus, Apr 27, 2015
  5. Kari Win User
    Mine do not. I have certainly tens of reboots on my belt now with this machine, in a few days it has already become a habit for me to check the pinning after each reboot.

6. Is there a folder that holds the pinned Start Menu items?

If yes, what happens if you manually place shortcuts in it?

lehnerus2000, Apr 27, 2015
  7. Boozad Win User
    In my first install I had nothing but trouble with Start. Items wouldn't pin, blank tiles were showing, most programs wouldn't open...

The only way I found to fix it was a clean install and now all's fine.

Boozad, Apr 27, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

I'm already on my third clean install on this rig. I might try the fourth one...

9. See if disabling "Prevent users from customizing their Start Screen" Group Policy has any affect.

I think this is an older setting (due to the Start Screen reference) and will probably have no affect, but it's worth a shot.

Slartybart, Apr 27, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    A very good tip, sadly that was one of the first settings I checked, it's not enabled meaning users can customize the Start Screen.

11. You might also want to check the Security tab on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu - things are changing as MS moves Windows closer to the cloud (for instance, Security is fully qualified domain\user and libraries are no longer defined in .libraries files - my guess: to facilitate OneDrive sync.

There's a link named Start Menu in C:\ProgramData (target: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu)

You might also want to check security settings on your personal Start menu in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

And check the corresponding Start Menu link in %USERPROFILE% (target: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu)

After writing this using vars, I think it might be worthwhile checking your environment variables too.

Slartybart, Apr 27, 2015
  12. cvccss Win User
    Thanks! I checked disable and rechecked Not Configured. Then run gpupdate, SignOut. Now I can Pin to Start.
    Thanks again.

cvccss, Oct 5, 2015
  13. Houtaro Win User

I have similar problem. I can't customize my start menu (like drag items, or pin items to start). It might be because you have some programs installed on your computer. In my case, I found that I have a "hohosearch" something or whatever on my list of installed programs in which I know that I did not install myself. What I did was uninstalled it and then after that, I can now pin to start and customize (drag items) to start. I hope it might help. *Smile

Houtaro, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot pin any items to Start - Similar Threads - Cannot pin items

2. Pinning .msc Items to "Start".

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinning .msc Items to "Start".: Ok so, I know that I can right click on something in the Start Menu and click "Pin To Start". . . Is there any possible way that I could pin "gpedit.msc" to Start? 136694
  3. Pinned items disappear in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinned items disappear in start menu: I'm facing a problem recently. I pinned some softwares in start menu. But when I turned on my PC again, I saw that they are missing !!! I've pinned again and they disappeared again Would you like to tell me that what's the problem and how can I fix it?...
  4. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  5. Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move or pin items to start menu. (Windows 10): I have had windows 10 for over a year now, and I have recently discovered I am unable to move around any tiles or pin new ones. I have tried "TileCreator" from the windows store, and that also doesn't work. I cannot even unpin current tiles. Here is an image below of what...
  6. Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible: I pinned Windows Update to my Start Menu. After some time, I noticed it was gone and tried to re-pin it. But when I right-clicked on the setting, all that showed up was "Unpin from Start." Selecting that option causes the dialog window to crash/close. As things stand, I...
  7. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?: ....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders selected in the Personalization/Start settings. Is this not customizable? Or has anyone figured out a workaround for this...
  8. Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10: Hey guys. Lately Windows has started behaving really odd in the way it deals with pinning. It was fine when I first set up win10 but now it doesn't work properly. I want to see if I can resolve this as I really don't feel like wiping and installing everything again....
  9. 'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10: How to: 'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10 [img] Information You can pin to Start any apps, contacts (People app), folders, drives, homegroup, library, network, and OneDrive so you can open them quickly, and see updates on live tiles for modern apps...
  10. Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?: Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if that matters. I can right click and select Pin to Start, but nothing happens. Right click again and Pin To Start is still listed...