Windows 10: Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access folder in Explorer

Discus and support Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access folder in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, opened up the file explorer, quick access pinning works fine for all other folders, but I cannot pin the Desktop folder in there. It shows up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SoxmisUK, Feb 23, 2018.

1. SoxmisUK Win User

Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access folder in Explorer

Hi, opened up the file explorer, quick access pinning works fine for all other folders, but I cannot pin the Desktop folder in there.

It shows up in the folders pane on the left, (I have to scroll a way up to find it..) but using the 'pin to quick access' button in the Home tab doesn't pin it, neither does right clicking the Desktop in the folders pane and selecting the same from the context menu.

Can anyone help? Cheers.

:)

SoxmisUK, Feb 23, 2018

2. Can't unpin FTP location from Quick Access

I've pinned an FTP location to the Quick Access menu in Windows 10 Explorer, but now cannot unpin it.

To replicate:

1. Browse to an FTP location in Windows Explorer

2. Right-click "Quick Access"

3. Select "Pin current folder to Quick access"

4. Right-click the newly pinned folder

You should see that there is no option to unpin the folder. The context menu only offers the (greyed out) option to "Expand".

Notably, this pin only appears in Explorer and not in the jump lists (for example by right-clicking Explorer from the task bar).

How do I remove this pin?

alecgibson, Feb 23, 2018
  3. sjcook5 Win User
    Can you pin a file (not folder) to the "Quick Access" in Windows Explorer - in Windows 10

I just updated to Windows 10 and would like to know if you can you pin a file to Quick access in Windows 10? I don't mean pinning to the application shortcut on the taskbar or pinning to the taskbar, I mean pinning a file to Quick access in File Explorer.

I am able to "pin to quick access" folders but not files. I have a few files I access a lot and would like to have then in Quick Access (I don't want short cuts on my desktop).

sjcook5, Feb 23, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Try dragging it to Quick Access, or
    navigate to the Desktop Folder itself, then right click on Quick Access and choose 'Pin current folder to Quick Access'.

Edwin, Feb 23, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    You need to see the full path to the desktop folder to be able to pin it.

Start at 'This PC' and find the C:\Users\yourname\ folder. You will see your Desktop folder in there. You can right-click on that one and pin it to Quick access.

6. SoxmisUK Win User
    I forgot to mention that.. It's not there. When I navigate through the usual route it doesn't exist under users\myname\ it's just not there.. But it does exist in the file explorer sidebar..

Weird huh? Oh 2nd thing I tried was dragging it, nope, it won't drag either..

SoxmisUK, Feb 23, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    Well, you obviously do have a desktop somewhere, you just don't know where! Windows allows you to move your desktop, you probably did that some time ago and forgot about it.
    Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10

To find its full path, create a New folder on the desktop, then double-click on it to open it in File Explorer. You should see this...

Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access folder in Explorer [​IMG]

Now click on the empty space in the address bar to the right of the name 'New folder'. The address bar should now show the full path. When you know where to look for it you should be able to pin it to Quick access.

I'm curious as to where you actually put your desktop *Smile

8. SoxmisUK Win User

I already did this too, it's telling me it's where yours tells you yours is, right on the desktop! lol I have a feeling this is due to a stardock creation I applied a while back called fences.. I like the application but have a feeling it may be the source of the problem. I'll mail them and ask if it's a feature or a bug.. *Sad

Meanwhile thanks for the help, I hoped it was easily fixable *Smile

SoxmisUK, Feb 23, 2018
  9. SoxmisUK Win User
    Now I just discovered something interesting...

Notice 2 'Download' folders one with the 'Desktop' Icon...? Has all my desktop folders in it.. I think this is 'Fences' it has re-named my Desktop folder.. Going to uninstall it and see what happens I think..

SoxmisUK, Feb 23, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    You could always go to the Stardock User Forum at Stardock - Fences
    and re-raise this question there, if the answers here are less than conclusive. It's a pretty active group, and they have some people monitoring those forums (including the occasional developer) who know those products inside out and backwards. Just a thought, and no negative reflection on the excellent helpers laboring here at TenForums (including yours truly).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 23, 2018
  11. dalchina New Member
    To see where it is (and it's quite possible for you to relocate it) try
    Windows key + R, shell:desktop

File explorer should display the folder containing your desktop.
    You could then right click any file or folder, Properties, and hopefully the path will be shown.

dalchina, Feb 23, 2018
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Soxmis, *Smile

It appears that something went wrong with your "Downloads" and/or "Desktop" folders when trying to previously move them.

If you like, you might see if using the .reg file download in steps 4 and 6 in Option Two of the tutorial below may restore the default location for these folders and fix this for you.

*Arrow Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Feb 23, 2018
  13. SoxmisUK Win User

Thanks for all your helpful replies.. Brink, I tried the two batch files and ran them but unfortunately they changed little apart from sticking an extra 'downloads ' folder into my File explorer shown below:

Notice that the extra Download icon has the Desktop icon..

Clicking on it actually brings up the Desktop contents, but I cannot rename the folder to 'Desktop' , there is also a folder in the left pane that is labelled 'Desktop' at the bottom. this also opens to my Desktop contents but will NOT pin into the quick access of File explorer. Also, peculiarly, right clicking that Desktop icon and selecting 'Properties' produces this:

Now why that happens I have no idea, but properties takes me straight to the background settings in the 'All Settings menu..'

So I ran the DISM as thus:

No problems found. *Sad

I haven't uninstalled Stardock's 'Fences' yet, as I'm sure this problem has occured perhaps in the last week or so and I've been using 'Fences' for some months now without a problem.

Windows is functioning well otherwise with no problems or glitches and apart from these file explorer and quick access and Desktop identity problem in File explorer it's running ok. But I'd like to iron them out as there is obviously some software glitch screwing it up somewhere.

Still hoping you can help, will try most stuff.

Thanks again people.

SoxmisUK, Feb 24, 2018
  14. dalchina New Member
    Do you have a System Restore point you could use, created before this started happening?

Do you use disk imaging routinely as we recommend? (Restoring a disk image created before this started happening could be another option- if you have any...).

dalchina, Feb 24, 2018
  15. SoxmisUK Win User
    Yes I do, but... It's a last resort for me and I'd really prefer to fix what small part is wrong before cracking a nut with a sledgehammer. *Smile I haven't ruled it out of course, but I have patience and tend to prefer to repair rather than overwrite..

SoxmisUK, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access folder in Explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot pin Desktop

2. Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access: I accidently deleted my desktop folder. I was able to restore it from the Recycle Bin. However, Desktop no longer appears as a Quick Access folder. When I right-click on Desktop and select 'Pin to Quick access' it does not get pinned....
  3. Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot pin Desktop to Quick Access: I accidently deleted my desktop folder. I was able to restore it from the Recycle Bin. However, Desktop no longer appears as a Quick Access folder. When I right-click on Desktop and select 'Pin to Quick access' it does not get pinned....
  4. Cannot pin the Documents folder to quick access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot pin the Documents folder to quick access: It is as simple as that. I try to pin it and it just does not work. I tried right clicking and selecting pin to quickstart , it did not work. Then I tried to drag it to quick start and it did not work either.This only started happening until I decided that I did not want one...
  5. Cannot pin the Documents folder to quick access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot pin the Documents folder to quick access: It is as simple as that. I try to pin it and it just does not work. I tried right clicking and selecting pin to quickstart , it did not work. Then I tried to drag it to quick start and it did not work either.This only started happening until I decided that I did not want one...
  6. Pinning folders to explorer sidebar - NO QUICK ACCESS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pinning folders to explorer sidebar - NO QUICK ACCESS: [ATTACH] I recently migrated from Windows 7 and I can't assign folders to sidebar. I removed quick access using regedit because every time I opened explorer it changed the hierarchy of my folders. What registry values should I add to explorer to make it work? Can't pin...
  7. unable to pin folders to quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to pin folders to quick access: i can no longer pin to or view folders in my quick access due to the parameter being incorrect. i have found advice that starts with running a command that starts with "del" only to get "windows cannot find del". i do not know how to fix this when del, whatever it is,...
  8. Compressed folder pinned to "Quick Access" cannot be unpinned

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compressed folder pinned to "Quick Access" cannot be unpinned: I had pinned a folder inside a compressed file (.zip) to quick access by mistake. It didn't appear immediately but after I deleted that compressed file it appeared. Now the link is not removable. Right click on that link doesn't give any other option other than Expand. I also...
  9. File Explorer Quick Access trouble.. Cannot pin items

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Quick Access trouble.. Cannot pin items: File Explorer is behaving weird - I cannot pin items to Quick Access. When I pin items they won't appear to QA. Also when dragging items to QA nothing happens and there's a small icon indicating that is not possible. I did some "tweaks" with Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4.5 but...
  10. Explorer Quick access automatic pins

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Quick access automatic pins: Is there any way to prevent Quick access from automatically pinning new stuff to it without disabling it? I would like to add my own shortcuts there manually and leave it that way if possible. 115577

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer cannot drag quick access