Windows 10: Cannot ping guest VM W7Pro no matter what virtual switch I use

Discus and support Cannot ping guest VM W7Pro no matter what virtual switch I use in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; The fall creator update screwed up a working Hyper-V host/client network I had. I have rebuilt everything and tried all manner of different virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by 52Yankee, Nov 30, 2017.

1. 52Yankee Win User

Cannot ping guest VM W7Pro no matter what virtual switch I use

The fall creator update screwed up a working Hyper-V host/client network I had. I have rebuilt everything and tried all manner of different virtual switches but can't ping or get to the guest W7 PRO .. Checking the IP addresses of the virtual switches shows that the guest winds up on a different subnet. Using just the default switch does not work nor does an additional Legacy switch internal to the pc on its Ethernet adapter. What am I doing wrong?

:)

52Yankee, Nov 30, 2017
  2. Todd_S_88 Win User

CALL-LEVEL INTERFACE- USING IP ADDRESS

You are correct that the Guest VM is connecting through the Ethernet 2 adapter. When VMWare/VMWorkstation is installed on a computer it will create virtual network adapters off the physical NIC on the computer. This is what allows you to do certain things
    like create multiple virtual subnets for your VMs. This is particularly useful in lab setups but for other reasons as well. The IP address shows up as 192.168.74.1 in the command because that is the IP of the virtual adapter on the
    host computer.

As for changing the IP address of the guest VM that is a matter of preference, but I would not recommend setting it to 192.168.74.254 as that appears to be the address of the DHCP server the host machine got it's IP address from, and that could create a
    conflict. Otherwise in a setup like that changing the IP address to something else wouldn't offer any real advantage.

Todd_S_88, Nov 30, 2017
  3. Elimination of Windows Media Center in Windows 10

What are the limitations of the Windows Virtual Machines?

I started using Virtual Machines in 1976, at The Ohio University, where I was able to use the IBM VM/370 Release 6 PLC 3. Working with VM continued over the next 20 years and included developing and supporting an operating system for Cray Research, Inc
    to run on IBM VM systems.

A real virtual machine provides hardware replication and support to its guests. Thus a virtual machine should be able to access a piece of real hardware, especially if the owner / user dedicates the hardware to the guest OS.

Bert Moshier

Bertram Moshier, Nov 30, 2017
Thema:

Cannot ping guest VM W7Pro no matter what virtual switch I use

1. Cannot ping guest VM W7Pro no matter what virtual switch I use - Similar Threads - Cannot ping guest

2. win10 + Vmware17pro + ubuntu20.04, VM's network mode is bridge. cannot ping virtual machine...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win10 + Vmware17pro + ubuntu20.04, VM's network mode is bridge. cannot ping virtual machine...: I have a ubuntu20.04 vm running in vmware workstation 17pro. The network of VM is set to bridge and VM has network address 192.168.1.5I can run `ping 192.168.1.5` from windows command lineI also want to add another static entry for the VM MAC address, and ping that IP...
  3. win10 + Vmware17pro + ubuntu20.04, VM's network mode is bridge. cannot ping virtual machine...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win10 + Vmware17pro + ubuntu20.04, VM's network mode is bridge. cannot ping virtual machine...: I have a ubuntu20.04 vm running in vmware workstation 17pro. The network of VM is set to bridge and VM has network address 192.168.1.5I can run `ping 192.168.1.5` from windows command lineI also want to add another static entry for the VM MAC address, and ping that IP...
  4. win10 + Vmware17pro + ubuntu20.04, VM's network mode is bridge. cannot ping virtual machine...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Is there a way to use Windows as a guest in a vm?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a way to use Windows as a guest in a vm?: Hi, I currently have Linux installed on my machine.I wanted to ask if there is some way to use Windows in a vm such as virt-manager or vortualbox in some sorta guest mode.I don't plan on using it for much except simply downloading a program or two that I'll need.Also question...
  6. Is there a way to use Windows as a guest in a vm?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to use Windows as a guest in a vm?: Hi, I currently have Linux installed on my machine.I wanted to ask if there is some way to use Windows in a vm such as virt-manager or vortualbox in some sorta guest mode.I don't plan on using it for much except simply downloading a program or two that I'll need.Also question...
  7. Is there a way to use Windows as a guest in a vm?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Cannot Switch out of S Mode no Matter what I do

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cannot Switch out of S Mode no Matter what I do: Hello all, Recently I got a new computer and for the last two days all I've been trying to do is switch out of s mode. I just want my computer to be able to do what I want and download what I want but I am absolutely stuck in s mode. I'm really starting to think I have a...
  9. Cannot Ping virtual Server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Ping virtual Server: Hi, I am using Hyper-V Manger on Windows 10 pro to create 3 virtual servers. One is my AD, while others are for other application. I had joined all to the Domain and have connected all using the virtual switch. I could map drives, folders and share files among them. It was...
  10. Scanner on VM guest

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Scanner on VM guest: deleted not ready to post 48121