Windows 10: Cannot ping LAN IP addresses over wifi but can do it over ethernet

Discus and support Cannot ping LAN IP addresses over wifi but can do it over ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys I'm lost. My laptop (win10) is currently connected on wifi through my router to the internet. All working. However, I cant ping, see,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ceauke, Jun 11, 2016.

1. ceauke Win User

Cannot ping LAN IP addresses over wifi but can do it over ethernet

Hi guys

I'm lost. My laptop (win10) is currently connected on wifi through my router to the internet. All working. However, I cant ping, see, connect to my nas or any other device inside my LAN.
    Using other devices (iphone, imac, nas), they can all see eachother while using the same wifi.
    My conclusion is that something is different from my laptop ethernet setup than it's wifi setup.

A few more notes:
    - I'm using VM player to host a virtual machine. I wonder if that may have created some weird VPN between my host and guest OS that stops me from seeing the real LAN. But I dont know how to disable it. I dont have the VM running while I'm having this problem.
    - When I go to windows explorer and click on network, it shows the NAME of my lan in the computer section. When I doubleclick on it it says that "Windows cannot access NASNAME"
    - computer is part of workgroup but not home group. (I'm trying to PING here as step one, so I shouldnt need this)
    - i tried with disabling firewall without success

I tried a few of the netcfg -d and a few netsh things to reset some stuff, but nothing seems to work.

Another few things that I see:
    nbtstat -n shows my laptop twice with different numbers between <..>, and workgroup is shown 3 times with different numbers. then there's some smily faces with MSBROWSE. Again, I'm not sure that I even need netbios to get the ping to work.

In short: Where do I start troubleshooting if I can ping Google successfully but I cant ping any other device (except router) in my LAN?

:)

ceauke, Jun 11, 2016
  2. Lothar-K Win User

No Internet with Static IP address

Howdy,

On one of our Windows 10 systems, we lose internet if we assign the system a static IP address.

When this happens, that system can still browse our LAN, and other systems on the LAN can browse that system.

Oddly, that system with its new Static IP address, cannot ping the router (though obviously, it is connecting to other systems on our LAN
    through the router.) The attempted pings just time out.

I'm baffled, and would pleased to get any help on this.

Many thanks,

Lothar-K, Jun 11, 2016
  3. suddenly cannot ping outside lan

After a restart, a Win10 laptop can still browse the web, and ftp, and other lan devices can ping this laptop, but in a cmd window ...

(i) pinging addresses outside the lan always times out

(ii) ipconfig /all shows ethernet and wifi "Media disconnected"

In a cmd window as administrator I tried ...

netsh winsock reset (required a restart, had no effect)

netsh int ip reset (Resetting Interface, OK!, Resetting , failed.)

ipconfig /release (No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 2 while it has its media disconnected.)

ipconfig /renew (ditto)

ipconfig /flushdns (no effect)

I need ping.

How do I fix this!?

(PS please fix your forum message editor's linefeed handling!)

Peter Brawley, Jun 11, 2016
  4. Cannot ping LAN IP addresses over wifi but can do it over ethernet

I have a similar issue, on a fresh install. This worked fine when i upgraded windows 8.1 to 10 months ago but after a h/drive replacement 3 days ago and fresh install of wind10 the problem started.
    FTP and ping work fine on on Ethernet but not on wifi.
    I have reinstalled drivers and a load of other stuff and even tried a usb wifi adaptor (self installs) with the same result. I cannot ping my router Or any other local machines) but works fine for websites (like this forum) on wifi.

Have a look at this help topic, (i have tried them all and got nowhere)

Fix network connection issues - Windows Help

jenseneverest, Jun 15, 2016
  5. ceauke Win User
    Hey man

Thanks for the pointers. Nice to see a page from MS where they give some tips. Mine is working now, I dont really know what solved it.

Here's my larger home network

ROUTER->NAS (ethernet)

ROUTER->LAPTOP (wifi). Not being able to connect to nas, or even ping it.

Then I tried from my bedroom wifi:

ROUTER->netgear switch->homeplug->....homeplug WIFI>laptop.
    From this point my laptop CAN see the NAS (even though its further removed in the network). Then when I joined the ROUTER wifi again, it could continue to see the NAS .
    Btw, my router wifi SSID is the same as my bedroom homeplug wifi AP. I wonder if win10 got confused.
    Anyway it's working now.

ceauke, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot ping LAN IP addresses over wifi but can do it over ethernet

1. Cannot ping LAN IP addresses over wifi but can do it over ethernet - Similar Threads - Cannot ping LAN

2. Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN: I'm out in the country and have a very poor landline internet connection, the laptop is connected to my home network via a LAN cable. I have better internet connectivity via a mobile phone hotspot, and this is connected via Wifi to the laptop and this is where I want to...
  3. Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently prefer wifi connection over LAN: I'm out in the country and have a very poor landline internet connection, the laptop is connected to my home network via a LAN cable. I have better internet connectivity via a mobile phone hotspot, and this is connected via Wifi to the laptop and this is where I want to...
  4. WIFI priortize over LAN all the time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIFI priortize over LAN all the time: Hi mate i want to prioritize wifi over LAN all the time even LAN is connected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-priortize-over-lan-all-the-time/8cb7fb96-ba9b-4f71-a56a-66fae759265e
  5. WIFI priortize over LAN all the time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIFI priortize over LAN all the time: Hi mate i want to prioritize wifi over LAN all the time even LAN is connected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-priortize-over-lan-all-the-time/8cb7fb96-ba9b-4f71-a56a-66fae759265e
  6. WIFI priortize over LAN all the time

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Printer will not connect over LAN, even putting in IP address

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer will not connect over LAN, even putting in IP address: Hello all! I've just bought a new Canon TR8520 printer, but my Windows laptop refuses to recognize it even though they're both connected to the same network. I've even tried setting it up using its IP addresses both in the Canon setup utility and in the Windows "Add a...
  8. Cannot Access VPN over internet remote location but can over LAN.

Cannot Access VPN over internet remote location but can over LAN.: <p>So I setup SSTP VPN on a fresh installed windows server 2016, I followed the video guide below;</p><p></p><p>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NINcZ-2H2YY&amp;t=1437s</p><p></p><p>at the end... I can connect to the VPN Sever without a problem within my LAN network with my...
  9. Priorotizing LAN over WiFi Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Priorotizing LAN over WiFi Windows 10: Windows 10 May upgrade to W10 home changed my LAN priority to WiFi. Need to change back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/priorotizing-lan-over-wifi-windows-10/c611e21b-0fd4-41c3-b6ba-9d185e4b4576
  10. Network printer detected over ethernet but not detected over wifi

Network printer detected over ethernet but not detected over wifi: Hello, I have the problem described on the title. Whenever i am connected with a cable to my network i find the network printer, but the printer does not show up when i am on WiFi. I have tested this for both my home and work network with different printers and it still...