Windows 10: Cannot Re-Enable Windows Update

Discus and support Cannot Re-Enable Windows Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Days before the "get it free" period was over, I upgraded from 7 Pro to 10 Pro. At the time, I followed some instructions to defer updates to avoid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by chamlin, Sep 5, 2016.

1. chamlin Win User

Cannot Re-Enable Windows Update

Days before the "get it free" period was over, I upgraded from 7 Pro to 10 Pro. At the time, I followed some instructions to defer updates to avoid headaches. Today, while trying to fix an issue caused Win 10 (my HP printer won't scan or fax), a thread suggested making sure Windows was fully updated.

BUT, all my update options are grayed out! Can someone advise?

Cannot Re-Enable Windows Update [​IMG]

:)

chamlin, Sep 5, 2016

2. Re-enable windows update

Hi Aadithya,

To address your concern about enabling Windows update again, we'd like to know if you've made a back up of your registry prior to changing registry values. If so, we suggest restoring it with the steps below:

• Press Windows logo key + R.
    • Type regedit.exe on the search box, then press
      Enter
    • Click File, then Import.
    • Select the location from Import Registry File where you saved the backup copy to.
    • Click to select the backup file, and then click Open.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more
    information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to this
    Microsoft Knowledge Base
    article.

You can also restore your computer to an earlier point in time. You can refer to the steps on this

article

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Sep 5, 2016
  3. Re-enable windows update

HI

I had previously disabled win updates by changing registry values and also running some netsh command on cmd as root.

Now, I am back to an unlimited internet with a new ISP; and I need my win updates back to normalcy.

Please help with the steps to do so

Aadithya AthreyChandran, Sep 5, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

Try this to get rid of the "some settings are managed by your organization" to enable the greyed out options. Go to Settings/Privacy/Feedback & diagnostics/Diagnostics and usage data. If it is set to "Basic", change it to "Enhanced" or higher, the message disappears.

As far as your HP printer, to get the latest driver package, have you tried the HP Support site where you enter your model. I have an old HP printer and a new driver package is issued with each new Windows OS. I went here for the driver package and there was also a PrinterInstallWizard that automatically does it too.

mrgeek, Sep 5, 2016
  5. chamlin Win User
    Mr. Geek, thank you for responding! Basic is greyed out too. Who is my organization??? I'm just...me! *Smile

chamlin, Sep 5, 2016
  6. chamlin Win User
    Searching for the issue further, I found it's common. BUT the solution as follows did not make any difference on my system. Here's what was advised many sites:
    Steps to fix 'Some settings are managed by your organization' message in Windows 10
    Step 1: Launch Start Menu by hitting the Windows Key. Type in gpedit.msc and right-click the app from the search results. Choose Run as Administrator from the context menu.
    Step 2: In the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), go to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Data Collection and Preview Builds.
    Step 3: Find the Allow Telemetry item and double-click it to edit the policies.
    Step 4: Change the setting to Enabled. Change the drop-down menu entry to 3-Full and click Apply.
    Step 5: Now open the item again and change its Setting to Not configured and hit the Save button.
    That's it. The message should no longer stop you from accessing various system settings in Windows 10.

chamlin, Sep 5, 2016
  7. mrgeek Win User
    "Basic is greyed out too. Who is my organization?"

Then it's a Telemetry issue, maybe caused by some 3rd party 'privacy' software. If you are on Pro, you should be able to re-enable Windows Update via Group Policy editor. Open Run, type Gpedit.msc. Go to
    Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    On the right-side, double-click on the entry labelled Configure Automatic Updates to open its properties.

Select Not Configured, and then click Apply button.

Restart your PC. If the message is still appearing when you open Windows Update in Settings, click Check for updates button once. The message will should disappear and grey box will be active.

mrgeek, Sep 5, 2016
  8. chamlin Win User

Okay, partially solved, (not the printer issue). It was O&O Shutup10 which I used for privacy when upgrading to 10. Once I told Shutup to default to factory settings, I could then use the telemetry fix and it worked as it was supposed to. Windows is now updating.

Printer...we'll see. I'll post over in the drivers forum for the printer to keep this thread clean.

Thank you!

chamlin, Sep 5, 2016
  9. mrgeek Win User
    "It was O&O Shutup10 which I used for privacy when upgrading to 10. Once I told Shutup to default to factory settings, I could then use the telemetry fix and it worked as it was supposed to."

Good that the solution was simple enough. I have an HP printer that's probably 10 yrs old. It came with an XP install CD. When I went to 8.1, there was a new package that made it work with that and another when 10 came out. You should be able to find a 10 driver pack w/o much difficulty @ HP Support. Whether you can find a Basic w/o the imaging software & extras, is another issue.

Mark this topic Solved, if you're satisfied so others with a similar issue can find more easily. Thanks

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot Re-Enable Windows Update - Similar Threads - Cannot Enable Update

2. Cannot enable windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot enable windows update: Hi. I am having a problem. I am using Dell i3 10th gen in case you need to know. I started using this laptop in February and I have never updated my laptop as it never shows me any notifications to update. But one day while I was using Microsoft Store to download an app, an...
  3. Unable to re-enable windows 10 update

Unable to re-enable windows 10 update: So I was just surfing on the internet, was seeing whats new on reddit and discord, and then I saw someone saying blender was made in python idk if it is true or not. So I went to microsoft store to install python, but then I got a weird error 0x80070422 saying I have to...
  4. Cannot re-enable Windows Update Service (Access is denied)

Cannot re-enable Windows Update Service (Access is denied): For a while I have had the windows update service disabled, as it sometimes caused issues with programs (and it was just annoying). However I have been using some Microsoft store apps and I need windows update to be enabled to download them. I have tried Running the windows...
  5. Cannot Re-Enable Bluetooth Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Re-Enable Bluetooth Device: While troubleshooting bluetooth, I disabled my bluetooth adapter in the Device Manager. I can't see an option to show disabled devices that is referenced in a lot of threads online, I think it was removed after an update. And showing hidden devices doesn't show it, because...
  6. windows automatically re-enabling Windows Update service

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows automatically re-enabling Windows Update service: I typically have the Windows Update service disabled so that i can download/install updates when i want to. However, sometime over the last month or so windows has started automatically re-enabling the Update service - I disable it... check it a few days later & it's back on...
  7. Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.: I disabled Cortana and Telemetry a couple weeks ago, but now I want to reverse my actions. Here's what I did initially: Code: In regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Search I created a new DWORD and named it AllowCortana, and...
  8. System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled: Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet. As you can see from the...
  9. Windows key disabled by system cannot re-enable, help..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows key disabled by system cannot re-enable, help..: Hello my windows key got disabled when I turned my pc on a message popped up saying: "system has disabled the windows key" I tried to do this method; [']https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-windows-key], but the download doesn't work and there is no sancode map...
  10. re-enable windows key

in Windows 10 Support
    re-enable windows key: Hello, I could not find a solution for how re-enable the windows key on my keyboard. This is the second time it just stopped working. I cannot figure out how I did it before. 37764