Windows 10: Cannot read HDD with Windows after formatting with Mac OS

Discus and support Cannot read HDD with Windows after formatting with Mac OS in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there, after I formatted my external Hard drive with the terminal in Mac OS, I cannot read the disk with windows. Here is the result from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by godlich, Feb 12, 2016.

1. godlich Win User

Cannot read HDD with Windows after formatting with Mac OS

Hi there,

after I formatted my external Hard drive with the terminal in Mac OS, I cannot read the disk with windows.
    Here is the result from diskutil list:
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0 1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1 2: Apple_HFS MacOS 47.0 GB disk0s2 3: Microsoft Reserved 16.8 MB disk0s3 4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 203.7 GB disk0s4 /dev/disk1
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1 1: DOS_FAT_32 WSYSBACK 125.0 GB disk1s1 2: DOS_FAT_32 DATENBACK 375.1 GB disk1s2
    This is the error I get in Windows 10: (Enlish below)
    "Das letzte USB-Gerät, das an diesen Computer angeschlossen wurde, hat nicht ordnungsgemäß funktioniert und wird von Windows nicht erkannt.
    Empfehlung:
    Schließen Sie das Gerät erneut an. Es es immer noch nicht von windows erkannt wird, ist das Gerät möglicherweise nicht funktionstüchtig."
    Which means in English:
    The last USB-device you plugged in this computer did not work properly and is not recognised by windows...
    So I can read and write with Mac OS, but not with Windows. In the device manager of Windows, I cannot see the device either.

Does someone know a solution to this problem?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 9.2

:)

godlich, Feb 12, 2016

2. Cannot access to USB HDD on Router

After installing the Windows 10 OS, the network cannot read the HDD folders, which anchors to the router through USB, as normal ones. It used to be OK in recent old version of OS.

Raymond_910, Feb 12, 2016
  3. Zaphod83 Win User
    New to Windows 10 and struggling.

Hm, what's the file system on the HDD?

If you have another external HDD, format that one with exFAT and copy your files over, then plug the exFAT one into the Windows computer.

Or copy the files to your Mac, format the HDD with exFAT, copy your files back.

exFAT is a good way to use an external HDD on both Windows and Mac.

Zaphod83, Feb 12, 2016
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Apple uses a different file system than Windows (HFS+). Windows computers can't read Apple formatted drives by default.

You can install 3rd party programs on your Windows PC that will allow you to read Apple format drives in Windows. One of the most popular ones is MacDrive:
    Mediafour | MacDrive

Thema:

1. Cannot read HDD with Windows after formatting with Mac OS - Similar Threads - Cannot read HDD

2. Windows 11 on Mac OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 on Mac OS: I have an Apple Mac Pro 7,1 late 2019, running Mac OS Big Sur.Other information of potential relevance:AMD Radeon Pro W5700X MPX Module12-core 3.3GHz Intel Xeon W 3235 processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.4 GHz and 31.25MB cache48GB DDR4 ECC memory 2933MHz 6 x 8GB DIMMs802.11ac...
  3. Windows 11 on Mac OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 on Mac OS: I have an Apple Mac Pro 7,1 late 2019, running Mac OS Big Sur.Other information of potential relevance:AMD Radeon Pro W5700X MPX Module12-core 3.3GHz Intel Xeon W 3235 processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.4 GHz and 31.25MB cache48GB DDR4 ECC memory 2933MHz 6 x 8GB DIMMs802.11ac...
  4. HDD Shows in BIOS but Nowhere in Windows OS After Format and Windows Reset

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD Shows in BIOS but Nowhere in Windows OS After Format and Windows Reset: I have been researching and trying to diagnose this for two days now. I did a windows reset in hopes of just wiping my drives, my M.2 SSD has the windows OS on it and works fine, the hard drive on the other hand is showing in my BIOS but no where in the windows OS. It does...
  5. Windows on Mac without Mac OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows on Mac without Mac OS: Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please recommend where if not! I recently messed up when resetting my MacBook Pro mid-2012 to factory settings and now only have internet recovery as an option, which does not work. So for the time being I installed Windows...
  6. MicroSd Card - cannot format but can read

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MicroSd Card - cannot format but can read: Strangest thing I have 128gb MicroSD card. Ive tried formatting in Windows 10, Disk Mgmt, Diskpart, AOMEI, EaseUS, SD Formatter, Android, old camera, Roku - no matter what I do it does not format It is currently exFat, I can still view the files. I have tried multiple...
  7. External HDD cannot read/write after power failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD cannot read/write after power failure: after a power stop a second, my external hard disk drive 5T cannot be read/write, File Explorer displace the drive but cannot get into. But I can read/write via Apple I/O....
  8. Cannot format brand new HDD

Cannot format brand new HDD: Purchased a WD 6TB Blue yesterday, ran disk management and created one partition using NTFS. Formatted and did its thing but it just displays the total size of the partition with RAW next to it. Tried reformatting again to NTFS but I get the error; "The format did not...
  9. Cannot format WD 1TB HDD

Cannot format WD 1TB HDD: I bought a new WD 1TB HDD and was running install/format when I had a power outage. When power came back I could not format this drive. The drive shows in Device Manager but fails format there and every where I have tried. I used UBDC and have not been able to format in...
  10. Move Windows OS to Mac

in Windows 10 Support
    Move Windows OS to Mac: Hi, I had Windows 7 on my HP laptop and then upgraded to Windows 10 and as the laptop is getting old I would be buying a Macbook Pro to replace it and just wondering as how I can move my Windows 10 OS to Mac and create a dual boot OS on Mac. Appreciate your detailed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cant read mac os hdd