Windows 10: Cannot reinstall Windows from USB

Discus and support Cannot reinstall Windows from USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi So lately I've been trying to re-install Windows 10 home from a USB which has installation media on it for Windows 10 from the windows media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ccman12345678, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Cannot reinstall Windows from USB

Hi
    So lately I've been trying to re-install Windows 10 home from a USB which has installation media on it for Windows 10 from the windows media creation tool.
    But whenever I am prompted to select a drive (Like a bit after you run setup.exe), there are none or there is one but it has 0mb total space and 0mb free space.
    I've tried using diskpart however my internal HDD isn't listed. From the advanced recovery menu, I do not have access to "Reset this pc" or "Refresh this PC". System restore, system image recovery, Startup repair and Go back to the previous version do not work however I can access the BIOS settings and the command prompt.

I'd be happy to lose all of my data, as I have a backup of the files on an external drive.

- I can't boot into windows
    - I can't install windows from a USB (not sure why)

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

ccman12345678, Nov 25, 2017
  2. slance310 Win User

Cannot get past first step of reinstall from USB

Hi,

I had to use a USB Hub with a USB Mouse and Keyboard...

The mouse, keyboard, boot media are all plugged into the Hub, then the Hub into the tablet's USB port...

It is best to use a wall powered USB Hub as all of this stuff running off of the tablet's battery may be too much... Or it will run down before finishing...

slance310, Nov 25, 2017
  3. Cannot get past first step of reinstall from USB

I have been trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 from a USB on my tablet (Toshiba Encore 2 WT10-64, Intel Z3735, 2GB) without any success. When I get to the first step of reinstalling (the Windows Setup menu) I am unable to proceed because I can not
    select "Next". The touchscreen works to select the USB from the UEFI menu, but after that it does not. I have a Bluetooth mouse connected to the tablet, but that does nothing as well.

** Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup **

Sardonicvs, Nov 25, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Cannot reinstall Windows from USB

Unplug the power supply cable from the hard drive and unplug the data cable from both the hard drive and the motherboard. Reconnect everything. See if that corrects the problem. If not, you can try connecting the data cable to a different SATA port on the motherboard. Make sure all the SATA ports are enabled in UEFI/BIOS.

If that doesn't work, you have either a bad hard drive or a bad motherboard, a bad data cable, or possibly a bad Power Supply.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2017
  5. How would I do that on a laptop?

6. Probably should've mentioned this in the first post but my device is an Acer Aspire E 15 / E5-575G-50MF Laptop.

7. Bree New Member
    Or, better still, put that in your system specs.

Are you booting the USB in Legacy mode or UEFI?

8. NavyLCDR New Member

You'll have to take it apart. Remove the hard drive. Reinstall the hard drive. You are experiencing a hardware problem here, not a Windows installation problem.

You might also want to get one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Adap...3.0+sata+cable

Then you could plug the hard drive into any other computer and check to see if that computer can recognize/access the hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2017
  9. uefi

10. I can take it back to the store I originally bought it from as it came with a warranty. I think I got it in June/July this year.

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    If it is under warranty, that is definitely what I would do, but it is probably going to have to go back to ACER, not the store, assuming you bought it brand new.

NavyLCDR, Nov 25, 2017
  12. I called the store earlier on and they said it would take 3 weeks for the repair at the Acer store.

13. NavyLCDR New Member

Sounds about right. Unfortunately.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot reinstall Windows from USB - Similar Threads - Cannot reinstall USB

2. Reinstalling Windows from a USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Windows from a USB: I have a computer which refuses to boot Windows, but will boot into the BiOS system, where it is now stuck at user level. I've written off the prospect of recovering any data from this computer, so my plan was to see if it will let me simply reinstall Windows. I downloaded...
  3. Reinstalling Windows from a USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Windows from a USB: I have a computer which refuses to boot Windows, but will boot into the BiOS system, where it is now stuck at user level. I've written off the prospect of recovering any data from this computer, so my plan was to see if it will let me simply reinstall Windows. I downloaded...
  4. Reinstalling Windows from a USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot reinstall Windows 10 from bootable USB on an UEFI laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot reinstall Windows 10 from bootable USB on an UEFI laptop: I recently changed my hard-disk and need to reinstall Windows 10. I have downloaded the Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool and using Rufus, made a bootable USB from it. But unfortunately, the system is not booting from it. I am using a 16gb pendrive. In Rufus, I...
  6. Reinstalling windows from recovery usb

Reinstalling windows from recovery usb: I downloaed the program from the site and my dead computer does recognize the drive and for at least 90 minutes it says SET UP IS STARTING. How long will this continue? Just let it run all night? help, please....
  7. Reinstalling Windows 10 from usb

Reinstalling Windows 10 from usb: Hi, i have had made progress in trying to get Windows 10 reinstalled on my acer Aspire One Cloudbook 14 i tried to reset it but then it got stuck on the acer logo page, and came across this article as it seem the best thing to do the original article came from Dave m i...
  8. Cannot re-activate windows after reinstalling from a USB.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot re-activate windows after reinstalling from a USB.: Hi, I've lately been having some issues with windows 10 so I decided to wipe the drive which previously had 1903 and reinstall windows 10 1909 cleanly from a USB drive made with the media creation tool. After getting back into windows and signing in with my Microsoft account...
  9. Reinstalling Windows 10 from USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalling Windows 10 from USB: Hi to all, I’m desperately trying to reinstall Windows from USB on my Surface Laptop 3 but it appears all drivers are deactivated from the very beginning (language to install/time and currency/input screen) That would make sense but even the trackpad is not working. I...
  10. Reinstalling Windows from a USB

Reinstalling Windows from a USB: Well, I'm doing this. I chose not to keep any files and so Windows proceeded to install but gave me no option to format C Dive. After installing, there were a bunch of left over program folders on C Drive plus the Windows.old folder. Have I missed something. I thought a clean...