Windows 10: Cannot Remote From Win 10 Laptop into Win 8.1 Laptop

Discus and support Cannot Remote From Win 10 Laptop into Win 8.1 Laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is like an algebra question and I was never good at algebra. My Network in a nut shell Computer A - Windows 7 Professional Desktop Computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jlwshere, Mar 24, 2015.

1. jlwshere Win User

Cannot Remote From Win 10 Laptop into Win 8.1 Laptop

This is like an algebra question and I was never good at algebra.

My Network in a nut shell

Computer A - Windows 7 Professional Desktop
    Computer B - Windows 8.1 Laptop
    Computer C - Windows 10 Laptop build 9926 (looked for updates as I know there are, but came back blank. I'm not in the "rings")

All are on a WAN.

As far as remote desktop connections:

A= (connects to) B
    B=A
    A=C
    C=A
    B=C
    C x(will not connect to) B - This is the connection I most want. But C can access B's public folders

Error Message is the following

Cannot Remote From Win 10 Laptop into Win 8.1 Laptop [​IMG]

1. It is, A=B
    2. Nope
    3. It is

A and B are on Norton internet security 21.0.7.11 C is on Win 10 Windows Security essentials. C has shared trust levels on the Norton firewalls and Windows firewall on C has also been set up to allow RD to pass through. I have turned off both B and C's firewalls to confirm it is not a settings issue and they and I still get C x B but with both firewalls on B=C.

I am truly at a loss. I would point to Windows 10 but C=A. Unless there is some conflict with Win 10and Win 8, but the public folders for both are accessible fro the network. I have spelled the computer name for B in both upper/lower and all caps (and besides, A=B)

:)

jlwshere, Mar 24, 2015
  2. dnodno Win User

remote access

hello there

how can i remote access from my laptop win10 into mobile device "nokia and microsoft" phone with win 8.1 and win 10

thank u .

haitham albaaj

dnodno, Mar 24, 2015
  3. How to Download Official Windows 10 ISO files Using Media Creation Tool or Directly Using your Web Browser

I have 2 laptops (Win 8.1), 1 laptop (Win 7 SP1), and 1 PC (Win 7 SP1) all licensed Home editions.

One laptop has been successfully updated to Win 10. I am using this laptop with MCT on a 128GB USB.

I have the MCT to UPGRADE the Win 8.1 laptops and Win 7 SP1 PC, using the downloaded iso created using my Win 10 laptop (Upgraded from Win 8.1).

Will the UPGRADE work if I remove the USB from Win 10 laptop and plug it in to the Win 8.1 laptop, Win 7 laptop, Win 7 PC?

thequietpoet, Mar 24, 2015
  4. adamf Win User

I can't understand your pseudo algebra at all.

Can you RDP from either 7 or 8 to 10?

Can you RDP from 10 to either 7 or 8?

Have you disabled Norton?

Is your problem only as in the title (Can't RDP from 10 to 8.1) in which case that, at least, works fine for me.

adamf, Mar 24, 2015
  5. jlwshere Win User
    Yes. All computers talk to each other and can share public folders except Win 10 cannot Remote in to Win 8.1 even with both firewalls down.

jlwshere, Mar 24, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    Forget public folders it has nothing to do with it.

Do you have 8.1 Pro on your laptop? It won't work as a remote desktop host with the basic version...

adamf, Mar 24, 2015
  7. jlwshere Win User
    Yes I am running Windows 8.1

jlwshere, Mar 25, 2015
  8. adamf Win User

Again, are you running 8.1 Pro?

adamf, Mar 25, 2015
  9. jlwshere Win User
    Also, I believe I was mistaken that my Win 7 computer was successfully RDCing to windows 8.1 as well (if it was it isn't now - but I'm now thinking it never did due to the way I was testing the RDCs) Which would definitely make this an 8.1 issue and not a 10 issue.

jlwshere, Mar 25, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    Well, you have answered your own question (eventually) without need for algebra *Smile

You need a Pro (or Enterprise or Ultimate or whatever is more expensive) version of windows to act as a remote desktop host.

Your 8.1 isn't a pro version so you can't. That's it I'm afraid. End of.

You must be careful on this forum at the moment as almost everyone has the Pro version as it is currently free to test. It's easy for us to forget other versions exist.

You could use teamviewer instead of RDP (which is free and I very much recommend if you want desktop access) or you can just use shared drives.

adamf, Mar 25, 2015
  11. jlwshere Win User
    Yes and the Win 10 Tech preview that I am using is also pro so that indeed explains it. Thanks for pointing me on the right direction.

jlwshere, Mar 26, 2015
  12. jlwshere Win User
    Hello again folks. Thought this was solved and the reason I could not RDC from Win 10 to 8.1 was because I did not have Pro. Well, now I do have pro and the problem is the same. What I have established is the following

Win 10 will remote into Win 7 computer
    Win 7 will remote into both Win 8.1 computer and Win 10 computer
    Win 8.1 will remote into both Win 7 and Win 10 computer
    Win 10 will NOT remote into Win 8.1 computer

I just paid over 100 dollars for the upgrade for this feature and the one computer I need to connect to 8.1 won't. It will find the computer but not accept the credentials. Any other thoughts (now that I actually have pro) would be most appreciated..

jlwshere, Mar 31, 2015
  13. adamf Win User

What log-on do you use? I use my Microsoft account (xxxxxx@outlook.com) as the user and it connects fine from 10 to 8.1 Pro.

Are you using this description of your user or DOMAIN/user or just your user? Are they part of the administrator group or authorized on your 8.1 machine?

You could try adding your client user as described here Enable, Disable Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 8.1 but if you are using the same client user as when you RDP from 7 it should be OK.

adamf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot Remote From Win 10 Laptop into Win 8.1 Laptop - Similar Threads - Cannot Remote Laptop

2. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  3. Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop: Hi, I can't activate a retail copy of Win 10 Home Single Language on a new laptop. My old device's CMD lists the Win 10 copy as 'Retail channel', bought in a reputable store where I purchased my old laptop, and it was upgraded from Win 8 for free in 2016. I have...
  4. Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10: I did a clean reinstall for win 8 on my laptop, i want to upgrade it to win 10 , will i have to reinstall the drivers as well? Also, is the upgrade still free? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments]...
  5. cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10

cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10: 1. I have bought a genuine key of wins 10 pro 2. I had downloaded windows upgrade assistant and it started its work and after downlaoding 100% it says windows needs your attention on this ……. the following app is not compatible with windows uninstall it manually but...
  6. Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop: Win 7 desktop is hardwired to Linksys ea8300 router and Win 10 laptop is connected via wifi. The Win 10 laptop can see the Win 7 desktop and its shares and connect to them. The win 7 desktop can see the win 10 tablet in the network but any attempt to access the laptop...
  7. Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop: I am assuming that this is a Win 10 problem. I have 2 networked Laptops, one is a Win 10, one a Win 7, and a networked Win 7 PC. I am unable to connect from Win 7 Desktop to a Windows 10 Laptop but I can go the other way. Status: Win 7 Laptop to Win 10 Laptop is OK....
  8. Can't Connect from Win 8 Laptop to Win 10 PC

Can't Connect from Win 8 Laptop to Win 10 PC: Hi . I have to devices at home - a laptop running Win 8 and a PC (with a local printer) that used to run Win 7 but which I recently upgraded to Win 10. I used to be able to connect my laptop to the PC to access the shared printer and files in a shared directory. Since I...
  9. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917
  10. Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?

Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?: As topic says, friends laptop had Win 8 and he updated to Win 10. Now I wonder if he can install a clean Win 10 through USB with his Win 8 serialkey. 40889