Windows 10: Cannot Remove OneDrive from Desktop

Discus and support Cannot Remove OneDrive from Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey everybody, ran into a problem that I can't seem to fix and was hoping for some help. I had to reinstall Windows 10 the other day and in doing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iKing1, Aug 13, 2017.

1. iKing1 Win User

Cannot Remove OneDrive from Desktop

Hey everybody, ran into a problem that I can't seem to fix and was hoping for some help.

I had to reinstall Windows 10 the other day and in doing so, OneDrive came up. I uninstalled it from the Control Panel, but it left an empty folder on my desktop, which appears in the toolbar as well as in Explorer.

I ran the suggested registry changes as described here: How to remove OneDrive desktop icon Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Still, nothing.

Any ideas on how I can fix this annoying issue?

Here's a picture for reference of what it currently looks like:

Cannot Remove OneDrive from Desktop [​IMG]

:)

iKing1, Aug 13, 2017

2. How to remove onedrive icon from desktop

My computer restarted and there is now a OneDrive icon on my desktop. I cannot remove or delete the icon.

I do not use OneDrive. How do I remove the OneDrive icon from the desktop?

DougVillaire, Aug 13, 2017
  3. How to remove onedrive icon from desktop

Open Task manager by Right clicking Start.

Navigate to Startup tab.

If Onedrive is listed there, right-click it and select disable.

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 13, 2017
  4. Polo6RGTI Win User

I use this registry script to get rid of the OneDrive icons:
    Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ;Remove OneDrive from Explorer [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}] "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree"=dword:00000000 [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}] "System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree"=dword:00000000 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu] "{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}"=- [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel] "{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}"=- [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}] @="OneDrive"[/quote]

Polo6RGTI, Aug 13, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 13, 2017
  6. iKing1 Win User
    If I try to do the regedit step in that link, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive doesn't show up for me as having DisableFileSyncNGSC DWORD. It only says:

(Default) REG_Z (value not set)

iKing1, Aug 13, 2017
  7. werby Win User
    Hi,
    You can create a new key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive by:
    Right click->New->DWORD(32bit)Value.
    Rename it to DisableFileSyncNGSC then double click to open it and give Value: 1
    Restart or Logout then Login and...that's it!

werby, Aug 13, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

The DWORD is not there by default. If you like, you can use the available .reg file download in step 3 in Option 2 of the tutorial I posted above to automatically make the changes for you.

Brink, Aug 13, 2017
  9. iKing1 Win User
    Nope, that didn't seem to do the trick either. It's still showing up the same *Sad

iKing1, Aug 15, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
  11. iKing1 Win User
    Nope, still the same *Sad

Could there be a problem with this having gotten screwed up by me uninstalling it from the Control Panel? It seems strange to me that the icon for the folder isn't the cloud and that when I hover over it on the desktop toolbar version, it says (Empty), but if I right click on it, there's no option to delete it.

iKing1, Aug 15, 2017
  12. roy111 Win User
    Yes, i had the same exact problem, i have 10 pro and do not use onedrive so i disabled it in gpedit, if i uninstall onedrive i have the result you show in post #1

roy111, Aug 15, 2017
  13. AddRAM Win User

Not sure why you guys are trying to uninstall it, simply disable it from startup, that's all you have to do.

Why the icon is showing up is a mystery.

Apparently, only if you`re running the Creator`s Update does One Drive show up as a stand alone app and can be removed from Add/Remove Programs

Disable or Uninstall OneDrive Completely in Windows 10 - Tech Journey

AddRAM, Aug 15, 2017
  14. roy111 Win User
    I for me i'm not trying to uninstall it, i tried because i do not use it, i think it is
    normal to not install/keep software you do not use; but i think now onedrive
    is part of windows 10 system so removing can cause some harm.

roy111, Aug 15, 2017
  15. AddRAM Win User
    Did you read the article, it states One Drive can be uninstalled if you run the CU, but I just disable it.

I don't store anything in the cloud, only games and they do that on their own *Smile

Those Steam Cloud servers must be massive *Shock

AddRAM, Aug 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Cannot Remove OneDrive from Desktop - Similar Threads - Cannot Remove OneDrive

2. How to remove desktop from Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove desktop from Onedrive: My pc has moved my desktop into my Onedrive and now it keeps backing up all the thousands of photos i had on the desktop. How do I move my desktop out of Onedrive and back to where it was last week?I have tried the steps on this thread but when i get to the Desktop Properties...
  3. How to remove desktop from Onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove desktop from Onedrive: My pc has moved my desktop into my Onedrive and now it keeps backing up all the thousands of photos i had on the desktop. How do I move my desktop out of Onedrive and back to where it was last week?I have tried the steps on this thread but when i get to the Desktop Properties...
  4. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  5. Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch

Files removed from desktop after OneDrive synch: Hello, I am using Windows 11 laptop from Thinkpad.I had 2 documents from the notes app on my desktop, OneDrive then synchs and those 2 documents are not there anymore. I checked my trashcan and OneDrive trashcan and personal vault. After OneDrive synched my files were...
  6. OneDrive Account Removal from Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Account Removal from Desktop: I previously linked my work OneDrive account to my personal laptop however, I now need to remove this OneDrive account from my personal laptop. I need to do this without deleting the OneDrive account itself as I need this account still on my work laptop and all of the files...
  7. OneDrive Account Removal from Desktop

OneDrive Account Removal from Desktop: I previously linked my work OneDrive account to my personal laptop however, I now need to remove this OneDrive account from my personal laptop. I need to do this without deleting the OneDrive account itself as I need this account still on my work laptop and all of the files...
  8. remove desktop from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remove desktop from OneDrive: hey. i don't know how to remove Desktop from my OneDrive in PC. please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-desktop-from-onedrive/9799dcdb-6416-4cd1-9f11-c5bf2342cbf4
  9. Cannot remove onedrive location from explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot remove onedrive location from explorer: Hi there. I cannot get onedrive removed from explorer. I tried uninstalling onedrive. Regedit. I have no idea how to get it removed. When i click the drive in explorer it gives me an error ''drive location unavailable''. But i also cannot remove it. It is driving me nuts...
  10. .pdf icon cannot be removed from the desktop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    .pdf icon cannot be removed from the desktop: From a web page I saved as a .pdf,now I have the icon on the desktop. But,I cannot remove it,open or rename this icon. I tried to move it to the recycle bin but nothing happens. I'm not an expert at all. Can,please,someone help me. Thank you 130314