Windows 10: Cannot remove Windows Defender Tray Icon

Discus and support Cannot remove Windows Defender Tray Icon in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; With my taskbar startup tab being empty and not existing on my CCleaner startup tab, the "Windows Defender notification Icon" (MSASCuiL.exe) keeps... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by devoi, Dec 21, 2016.

1. devoi Win User

Cannot remove Windows Defender Tray Icon

With my taskbar startup tab being empty and not existing on my CCleaner startup tab, the "Windows Defender notification Icon" (MSASCuiL.exe) keeps finding a way to add itself to my startup, even after deleting its entry from the Run registry key. No matter what I do, every time I boot, the icon shows up about 10 seconds in and the registry key leading to its executable just seems to reappear. I have no idea what to do at this point.

:)

devoi, Dec 21, 2016
  2. xsdf Win User

Remove Windows Defender icon from Tray in Windows 10

I want to remove the windows defender icon from my system tray. It serves no purpose other to tell me it's running and quick access to the app, neither which I need or want. I know you can 'select which icons appear in the taskbar' but this doesn't actually
    remove the icon from the tray, it just shoves it into a menu (I hate this). Win 7 and 8 had the ability to remove the icon altogether, is there a way to do this in win 10?

3. ConiGL Win User
    Uninstallin defender

Defender cannot be uninstalled but you can disable it and remove it from system tray if you wish to.

ConiGL, Dec 21, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 21, 2016
  5. devoi Win User
    I appreciate the help, but that unfortunately doesn't solve my problem. It doesn't even appear in the task manager startup list, so I can't end it from there, and I'd really much rather not have the program running rather than it being hid by that arrow that just ends up taking up space anyway.

devoi, Dec 21, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 21, 2016
  7. devoi Win User
    I do use windows defender, I would just really like to not have that icon there. When I did my last PC build, I was able to disable the icon through task manager. In this case, I don't have such luck.

devoi, Dec 21, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Unfortunately, as long as Windows Defender is running, its icon will show in the notification area unless hidden using the method above.

Brink, Dec 21, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    You may need to end the background process of the systray icon in Processes/Background Processes list of Task Manager, then the icon will stay away.
    But, you will need to do this every time you open an instance Defender.

Cannot remove Windows Defender Tray Icon [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 21, 2016
  10. devoi Win User
    Would there be a way to "re-add" the icon to the task manager startup tab? The icon executable isn't tied to the rest of the service; I used to have windows defender running in the background without this icon on my old build, I just can't disable it the same way.

devoi, Dec 21, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    A lot of us who upgraded from Windows 7 with Security Essentials to Windows 10 with Defender missed the reassurance of seeing the MSE icon in the Taskbar. Once you open Defender the icon will appear, and stays there after you close Defender. We found the easiest way to make it appear automatically was to add an entry in the registry to run %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe

Since the Anniversary Update we don't need to, Microsoft have added it for us. This is the registry entry that puts Defender on your Taskbar at start up. You could delete this value (it's not the one that runs Defender itself) it just starts the graphical User Interface (hence 'ui' in its name). But as I said, if you open the Defender UI yourself at any time the icon will appear and stay there after you close it.

The easiest way to hide it permanently is Option One in Brink's Tutorial. Do that and you'll only see the icon if you click the ^ icon to see the hidden icons.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option1

12. devoi Win User
    I've already tried deleting that registry entry. Every time I restart, the registry entry returns (I really do not know how it keeps putting itself back into the registry). I basically just want to keep the functionality of everything as normal, just without that icon being in the hidden tray or on the taskbar tray. I only use 2 other tray icons, and I'd rather not have that arrow just to hide 1 icon.

devoi, Dec 21, 2016
  13. Bree New Member

So it does, I hadn't tried deleting it before (I like seeing the icon there). I'm guessing the Defender engine checks for that registry entry when it starts up and puts it back if its missing.

You can make the icon disappear from the taskbar by using Task Manager to end the MSASCuiL.exe task, though it doesn't actually disappear until Explorer notices it's gone - it will vanish when you hover the mouse over it. Or just get Explorer.exe to do anything, even opening File Explorer will do it. Perhaps you could set up a scheduled task to end the MSASCuiL.exe task automatically shortly after you login?

14. Wullail Win User
    Instead of deleting the registry entry , try adding -hide to the end

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide -runkey

Wullail, Dec 21, 2016
  15. Bree New Member
    Tested that. The registry entry is rewritten to remove ' -hide -runkey' when you restart.

Thema:

1. Cannot remove Windows Defender Tray Icon - Similar Threads - Cannot remove Defender

2. How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray: How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-defendersecurity-icon-from/5434bdcf-f53d-4a9a-9e49-146df66936c5
  3. How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray: How to Remove Windows Defender/Security icon from System Tray https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-windows-defendersecurity-icon-from/5434bdcf-f53d-4a9a-9e49-146df66936c5
  4. Cannot add or remove icons in system tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot add or remove icons in system tray: Whenever I need to add or remove a system tray icon, I normally use Taskbar Settings which gives a list of items etc. In trying this recently however, when I expand "Other system tray icons", there is no list. The only option shown is for the hidden icons menu as per...
  5. Cannot add or remove icons in system tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot add or remove icons in system tray: Whenever I need to add or remove a system tray icon, I normally use Taskbar Settings which gives a list of items etc. In trying this recently however, when I expand "Other system tray icons", there is no list. The only option shown is for the hidden icons menu as per...
  6. Active Defender icon in notification tray?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Active Defender icon in notification tray?: There IS NO Tools menu anywhere. Does anyone know how to set Windows Defender to display its icon in the notification tray? Having a static shortcut icon in the taskbar accomplishes nothing....
  7. Windows Defender System Tray Icon

Windows Defender System Tray Icon: Currently, I have the Windows Defender System Tray icon with an exclamation point on it --- When I open the program to see what actions are needed, there are none to be acted upon --- So I should get the green checkmark when I restart, but still, the exclamation point is...
  8. Windows Defender on the Icon Tray

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender on the Icon Tray: I know this may be a silly question, but my Windows Defender Icon in my system tray alerted me of a possible "Action Needed" warning... When I open it up, there are NO actions needed on any of the parameters specified ... In other words, instead of a Green OK symbol on the...
  9. Windows Defender Tray Icon

Windows Defender Tray Icon: Having just updated Windows to version 1709 16299.19 the Icon for Defender is no longer there. Checked notifications and defender is not even listed. In Task Manager start up there is just the word Windows and not defender ( see pic). So this new version of windows has...
  10. Windows Defender tray icon, remove "!" with unused features?

Windows Defender tray icon, remove "!" with unused features?: I recently 'upgraded' to Win10 Version 1703 (Creator's), which uses Windows Defender Security Center, rather than good ol' Windows Defender. I have the tray icon in the Notification Area set to always show, but it displays a yellow exclamation point if the 'App and browser...