Windows 10: Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog

Discus and support Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have a similar issue like the link at the bottom of this post. When in Windows Explorer, on both the network or local drive, I can add... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tekjock, Aug 6, 2018.

1. tekjock Win User

Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog

Hello,

I have a similar issue like the link at the bottom of this post. When in Windows Explorer, on both the network or local drive, I can add folders, I can delete folders, but I cannot rename them. I also cannot move folders. !BUT! when in a program, and at a save or open dialog, I can rename folders. This is not the first time we have encountered this issue, and the last one we re-imaged. I would like to avoid that.

Any though on this issue would be appreciated

File Explorer unable to rename folders after installing updates - Microsoft Community

:)

tekjock, Aug 6, 2018
  2. JamesMcClure419 Win User

How to rename a folder in Windows 10 Windows Explorer?

In Windows Explorer when a New Folder is created it can not be renamed without closing Windows Explorer first. This problem has only appeared in the last month. Before then if a new folder was created it could be renamed at the time of creation. When trying
    to download or save a new file this is a problem as I have to stop the download or new file save until the extra steps are taken.

JamesMcClure419, Aug 6, 2018
  3. mixa Win User
    Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

mixa, Aug 6, 2018
  4. Mohammed Yaseer Win User

Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog - Similar Threads - Cannot rename folders

2. cannot rename cortana folder

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot rename cortana folder: I want to disable cortana. When i kill process and i try to rename it, when process is not running, i still get message access denied on administrator account. This used to work. Any ideas please ? 112794
  3. Cannot Rename Folder in Edge Favorites

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot Rename Folder in Edge Favorites: As the title says. I can right-click on a folder in Edge favorites and click rename. Once the new name is typed in there seems to be no way to save it. No matter what I do it reverts to the previous name. Is it like this for everyone else? Jim 15600
  4. Save Dialog Resize Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save Dialog Resize Problem: So, recently while using Photoshop CS6 I ran into a problem with the save dialog window. When it opens, it is almost maximized and cannot be resized. I have tried everything. Double clicking the title bar, right click upper left corner (restore is greyed out), dragging from...
  5. Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing: I tried to do a search but it didn't come up with much. Have you guys seen an issue where the Save/SaveAs/Open dialogs don't open and instead the app crashes? I've seen it in Notepad, Paint and Word. If I kill all explorer.exe processes, and then launch for example Notepad...
  6. Cannot Rename Folder with a Dot (".")

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Rename Folder with a Dot ("."): Hello! I have a kind of unusual problem. I have a couple folders with music in them, but the albums have dots in their titles. The two issues I'm currently having are with "I Love You." by the Neighbourhood and "Promises Ltd." by Promises Ltd. I've tried renaming them...
  7. Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash: These are my issues: When I create a New Folder and try naming it, it freezes, then Explorer will restart. The folder will be made but if I try to rename it, it will do the same thing. When I try deleting that empty folder, the Moving to Recycle bin takes over 30 sec...
  8. Libraries and My PC folders in Save As Dialog

in Windows 10 Support
    Libraries and My PC folders in Save As Dialog: Can anybody help in ADDING Libraries to and REMOVING the This PC folder from the Save As dialog? I know how to remove and add these in File Explorer, but have no luck in finding a solution for the Save As dialog. I found this thread, but when I get to the value to be changed...
  9. Cannot delete, move, rename folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete, move, rename folder: Hello, I am having issues with a folder which I would like to delete. However, whenever I try to do that I am told I need admin access in order to do so. Problem is, I am the admin and if I go to Properties and in the Security tab, I am not allowed to do any changes and...
  10. File Explorer Save As dialog changed?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Save As dialog changed?: Following the latest Win 10 update, has something changed in File Explorer? In the Save As dialog shown in my screenshots I expect a simple alphabetic order, with folders first then files. It gets even more confusing if I show all files, by entering '*.*' into the File...