Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog

Discus and support Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have a similar issue like the link at the bottom of this post. When in Windows Explorer, on both the network or local drive, I can add... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tekjock, Aug 6, 2018.

1. tekjock Win User

Hello,

I have a similar issue like the link at the bottom of this post. When in Windows Explorer, on both the network or local drive, I can add folders, I can delete folders, but I cannot rename them. I also cannot move folders. !BUT! when in a program, and at a save or open dialog, I can rename folders. This is not the first time we have encountered this issue, and the last one we re-imaged. I would like to avoid that.

Any though on this issue would be appreciated

File Explorer unable to rename folders after installing updates - Microsoft Community

:)

tekjock, Aug 6, 2018
  2. JamesMcClure419 Win User

How to rename a folder in Windows 10 Windows Explorer?

In Windows Explorer when a New Folder is created it can not be renamed without closing Windows Explorer first. This problem has only appeared in the last month. Before then if a new folder was created it could be renamed at the time of creation. When trying
    to download or save a new file this is a problem as I have to stop the download or new file save until the extra steps are taken.

JamesMcClure419, Aug 6, 2018
  3. mixa Win User
    Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

mixa, Aug 6, 2018
  4. Mohammed Yaseer Win User

Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog - Similar Threads - Cannot rename folders

2. My computer can not boot and shut down properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer can not boot and shut down properly: My computer is not starting up and shutting down properly. At first the system started up correctly but I was strangely redirected to a screen that asked me to sign out and sign in again for Windows to work properly I did just that and it was successful. After like 10...
  3. How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10: I have POS printer installed in my system. I defined a Custom Receipt Paper size in Printer server properties, which is not listing in my printers paper size and the same i need to set it as my default paper Moved from: Apps on Windows 10 / Other Windows apps / Social...
  4. Switching "Save To" to something other than Note Pad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching "Save To" to something other than Note Pad: I chose to save a doc to Notepad but couldn't read it. Now the other saving options are gone. How do I get to where I can save to something I can read?...
  5. Windows 10 cannot update to 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 cannot update to 1803: My newly installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit cannot be updated to 1803. It finished downloading and 15% in to the installation, it fails. I uninstalled then still has no luck. I also ran the Windows update trouble-shooter tool. Thank you for your help...
  6. Cannot connect to my smart Tv

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot connect to my smart Tv: After update windows 10, i tried to connect to my Hisense smart TV using anyview cast, but the laptop cannot find the TV itself. Before updating there was no problem connecting to the TV...
  7. If I decide to choose Reset my PC option that saves my files and reinstalls Windows 10,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I decide to choose Reset my PC option that saves my files and reinstalls Windows 10,...: The edition I'm using is Windows 10 Pro, and under the Activation, it says: Windows is activated using your organization's activation service. I would like to choose Reset my PC from the Recovery option, keep my files and reinstall Windows, but will I have to enter the...
  8. How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10

How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10: I have POS printer installed in my system. I defined a Custom Receipt Paper size in Printer server properties, which is not listing in my printers paper size and the same i need to set it as my default paper...
  9. Camera app isn't saving to C: drive

Camera app isn't saving to C: drive: I'm trying to use the camera app on windows 10 to take photos through a webcam. The app originally worked fine, however, now the app won't save photos (or videos) to the C: drive but will save to other drives (recovery and USB etc.) when I adjust the drive to which photos...
  10. One of the users on my laptop cannot connect to Wifi, the others can

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One of the users on my laptop cannot connect to Wifi, the others can: One of the user accounts (with administrator privileges) on my Lenovo laptop shows the wifi network that I use (it is a neighbourhood wifi network) as Limited and the network login page will not come up and the internet is not available. However, other accounts on the same...