Windows 10: Cannot reset Windows and certain Programs will not run

Discus and support Cannot reset Windows and certain Programs will not run in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've been having issues with my laptop after accidentally downloading,malicious software. Essentially the symptoms seem to point to a rootkit but I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by nullvenus, Oct 30, 2017.

1. nullvenus Win User

Cannot reset Windows and certain Programs will not run

I've been having issues with my laptop after accidentally downloading,malicious software. Essentially the symptoms seem to point to a rootkit but I cannot be sure. I backed up my data to an external hard rive but when trying to reset or refresh or even just booting in recovery nothing happens. In the case of booting in recovery nothing works, not from settings and not from shift clicking the restart button. I currently have Zenma which has removed a lot there are a few folders that I cannot delete. I also ran, or rather tried to run, TDSSKILLER, but got a warning that an administrator had blocked me from running it despite my current account being the only administrator account on the laptop. I have no idea where to go from here but aside from those issues it is actually running normally.

Thank You!

:)

nullvenus, Oct 30, 2017

2. certain programs and setting will not work until pc is restarted twice.

Original Title: Why do I have to restart windows 10 to work fully.

Why do I have to restart windows 10 to work fully, with one start works like is not fully load; with the second I have what I need it; some areas don't work like the run area at start; google don't open until second time; settings are not fully working the
    windows open but the commands not obey.

RobertoCastillo356, Oct 30, 2017
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    certain programs and setting will not work until pc is restarted twice.

Hi Roberto,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

1. Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?

2. Do you get any error message?

3. What is the make and model of your computer?

This issue might occur if there are any third party software conflicts. Follow the Steps below.

Follow the Methods below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Perform Clean Boot and check if the issue persists.

Try clean boot to disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot.

Follow:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Method 2: Follow the link below and perform the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

I highly recommend backing up all of your important files and folders onto an external storage device before attempting any type of OS repair or upgrade.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Oct 30, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

If you have the important files backed up you should be able to perform a clean install.
    1) Create a bootable Windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10
    2) Power on the computer and repetitively click the F9 key.
    3) Click on external USB hard drive.
    4) It may take 5 - 10 minutes for the iso to load while you view the Windows icon.
    5) Choose language, time, currency, and keyboard.
    6) Click install
    7) delete all partitions and make an unallocated drive
    8) install Windows 10 version 1709
    9) View this link for images and text:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

zbook, Oct 30, 2017
  5. nullvenus Win User
    I downloaded the creation tool but it stops at 0% progress is there any fix for that?

nullvenus, Oct 30, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    zbook, Oct 30, 2017
  7. torre Win User
    If the tools listed by zook do not work, try:

How much time are you giving it ? Sometimes may take a few minutes to begin. Internet connection normal speed ?

- Locked out of Admin Account. Can't Use PC at All.

Check the above thread (post #7) to reset your admin acct in hope of being able to run TDSSKILLER. Other threads available by using Search bar at top of this page.

- Do a System Restore ? This may not remove the malware, but it may allow the Reset or Refresh Option to work along with TDSSKILLER-

- Does your HP laptop have its own recovery software to reinstall the OS or wipe the drive ? If all else fails, consider wiping the drive and using the Media Creation Tool on another computer to reinstall the OS. This may be the best option with a severely infected computer.

torre, Oct 31, 2017
  8. nullvenus Win User

I believe its the creation part of the process that does not move past 0 and then later when I tried to stop it after giving it around 2 hours the cleaning up stage of it is still going. I tried the resetting of admin privileges and saw i was under Debugger Users which I'm not quite sure what that means. I think I will go ahead and try to use the creation tool on another computer as from the looks of it it;'s not working as it should on the one I'm currently on.

nullvenus, Oct 31, 2017
  9. torre Win User
    Probably for the best.

"Just for giggles" you may want to try the System Restore and run sfc/scannow for any corrupt files. However, even if this should alleviate the issue, a clean install would still be best imo.

torre, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot reset Windows and certain Programs will not run - Similar Threads - Cannot reset certain

2. Programs not running, cannot reset PC, cannot use trouble shooters.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs not running, cannot reset PC, cannot use trouble shooters.: I cannot get anything to function on my PC. I can't get task manager to open or command prompt. I cannot reset my PC or remove the latest windows update from advanced recovery options. I have tried a mulititude of things. I cannot download anything to scan my PC because I...
  3. Programs not running, cannot reset PC, cannot use trouble shooters.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs not running, cannot reset PC, cannot use trouble shooters.: I cannot get anything to function on my PC. I can't get task manager to open or command prompt. I cannot reset my PC or remove the latest windows update from advanced recovery options. I have tried a mulititude of things. I cannot download anything to scan my PC because I...
  4. Programs not running, cannot reset PC, cannot use trouble shooters.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Cannot Run Program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Run Program: Hello, I had a problem where my pc cannot run a certain program like Services and I try to perform a clean boot using System Configuration. Every time I open the System Configuration it freezes for a while and shut down by itself...
  6. Certain program cannot be uninstalled?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Certain program cannot be uninstalled?: I use Windows 10 and want to uninstall a program, but when I right-click on it nothing happens (Imgur). Since this is a very large file, it would be good if I could delete it. I hope you can help me. Bestimmtes Programm kann nicht deinstalliert werden?
  7. Error that it cannot find a certain program

Error that it cannot find a certain program: I recently updated Windows 10 and I am not sure if that had anything to do with it or some kind of mystery magic happened. I went to click the shortcut for Steam that I have always had and it says it cannot find D;\program files x86\steam\steam.exe. I checked the drive and...
  8. Error when running certain programs: Windows cannot find..... Windows 10

Error when running certain programs: Windows cannot find..... Windows 10: I tried running a few programs like Discord, iTunes, NordVPN and Steam and kept getting the same error: "Windows cannot find...". Even when I went directly to the .exe I got the same error. I ran a few scans like Malwarebytes and others but nothing came up. I got them to...
  9. Cannot install or download certain programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot install or download certain programs: New system I built. Everthing works fine until I switch users to my other account. I cannot download Firefox; absolutely nothing happens. Further, Google did install but running it, even as Admin, does absolutely nothing. Don't understand what could be going on. Thanks....
  10. Cant run certain app program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant run certain app program: I clean my registry. But i 4got to back it up.now, i cant click "file folder>options".Cant use system restore "error 0x80073b01 the resource cache doesnt have loaded mui entry" both in safe mode and normal mode.. And repairing windows failed.please help...