Windows 10: Cannot resize partition

Discus and support Cannot resize partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; These are my partitions: [img] I wish to shrink the partition "E" by 20GB and add it to partition "G". But the built-in Disk Management program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SirDarknight, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Cannot resize partition

These are my partitions:

Cannot resize partition [​IMG]

I wish to shrink the partition "E" by 20GB and add it to partition "G". But the built-in Disk Management program won't let me.

So, I tried a third party app - Easeus Partition Manager, but it tells me it needs to finish the process during boot but fails everytime:

:)

SirDarknight, Nov 14, 2017

2. resize C drive

You cannot transfer space from one drive to another. If the partitions are both on the same hard drive you can move from one partition to another on the same drive.

EasuUS Partition magic will do the resizing IF the partitions are on the same drive

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 14, 2017
  3. Spankyman Win User
    Installing Windows 10

I have tried to resize using the Ease us partition manager but the partition is locked and can not be resized is there something I an missing when trying to resize?

Spankyman, Nov 14, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

Cannot resize partition

Plankton, Nov 14, 2017
  5. Barman58 Win User
    Due to the layout of the partitions this job is beyond the very limited capabilities of Windows own tool

What you will need to do is ...

shrink the E: partition
    Move the G partition to the Left to give unallocated space on it's right
    Extend the G: partition to the right

this is possible with a number of tools Minitool Partition Manager is the best of the free software

Barman58, Nov 14, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    Due to the layout of the partitions this job is beyond the very limited capabilities of Windows own tool
    What you will need to do is ...
    shrink the E: partition
    Move the G partition to the Left to give unallocated space on it's right
    Extend the G: partition to the right
    this is possible with a number of tools Minitool Partition Manager is the best of the free software

Your failure issue could be due to the fact that you have a page file on the e: partition

Barman58, Nov 14, 2017
  7. ThrashZone, Nov 14, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

Cannot resize partition

The main problem is that this Disk is a Dynamic Disk with the 3 G: drives bonded together as a Spanned Dynamic Volume. Making it very difficult to shrink or expand volumes. But the error you are receiving is that the E: drive has errors on it.
    Press the Win Key+X choose Command Prompt (Admin) type E: and press enter. At the E:\>prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Type a Y to Unmount the drive. After it is done, attempt it with Minitool.

spunk, Nov 14, 2017
  9. topgundcp Win User
    First of all, it's not advisable to use a single disk as Dynamic disk unless you have multiple disks that you want to span across.
    Use Partition Magic to convert from Dynamic Disk to GPT disk then you should be able to shrink from Disk Management.

topgundcp, Nov 14, 2017
  10. z3r010 Win User
    Day after day I look at what people are doing with their PC's and despair *Rolleyes

BTW the OP reported post 2 as advertising/spam.

z3r010, Nov 14, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    *ROFLMAO2

Thema:

Cannot resize partition

1. Cannot resize partition - Similar Threads - Cannot resize partition

2. Partition Resize Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition Resize Apps: Hello,I want to resize some partitions. Does anybody know a free app that can help me? I tried to increase C: space, but I can't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partition-resize-apps/cb1eba8e-11e9-4995-84c6-f47ccec8ca4b
  3. Partition Resize Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition Resize Apps: Hello,I want to resize some partitions. Does anybody know a free app that can help me? I tried to increase C: space, but I can't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partition-resize-apps/cb1eba8e-11e9-4995-84c6-f47ccec8ca4b
  4. Partition Resize Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Resize partitions: I have one 18T HD in two partitions, 6T + 12T unallocated, now I want to shink in one 18T but fail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-partitions/912c9013-7422-4ac6-aff1-2870203a45a9
  6. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resize partitions: I have one 18T HD in two partitions, 6T + 12T unallocated, now I want to shink in one 18T but fail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-partitions/912c9013-7422-4ac6-aff1-2870203a45a9
  7. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Cannot resize my OS partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot resize my OS partition: This is a spin-off from thread Missing Recovery partions - is that a problem? - Windows 10 Forums I'm trying to shrink the OS partition on my Disk 0 to make room for another (small) partition but am having no luck. Disk Manager shows there is 0 shrink space. MiniTool...
  9. Resize partition C

Resize partition C: On partition C is my OS Win 10. I want to extend volume C. I shrank volume D and I got "147.65 GB unallocated". How can I extend volume C using the "147.65 GB unallocated"? Thanks in advance for any help...
  10. resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

resizing a partition -is it a good idea?: i have come across a program that can resize a new partition when if the primary disk is too full. and wondering how would resizing a partition benefit me in the long run? -not to say iam running low in memory, but "just in case"*Nerd 71887