Windows 10: cannot restore old firefox profile

Discus and support cannot restore old firefox profile in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I realise this post is not exclusively related to Windows 10, but someone out there may be able to help me. I carelessly ended up with a virus... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Florio, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Florio Win User

cannot restore old firefox profile

I realise this post is not exclusively related to Windows 10, but someone out there may be able to help me.

I carelessly ended up with a virus today and it played havoc with my Firefox browser. Fortunately a couple of weeks ago I had saved a copy of my Firefox profile with all the bookmarks, extensions and passwords etc. . The problem is that when I place this profile file in its correct location, Firefox will not open. I receive a message saying that 'Your Firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible.

This situation is probably due to the fact that shortly after saving my Firefox profile, I created a new user account for Windows 10, and then changed its name via the Control Panel. The original name for the new account however still appears in File Explorer under C:\Users as I could not change it there.

How can I get my original Firefox profile to open? I cannot understand why it is not working as it was fine until I got the virus earlier today.

All suggestions gratefully received!!

:)

Florio, Dec 25, 2017
  2. n7yoC Win User

Internet Banking Challenge

Ok This is solved now and here is how I managed to correct it on my own.

I tried to uninstall Firefox and reinstall, this had no affect. I tried creating a new profile under Firefox, again now affect.

Next I created a new user account in Windows. This then worked properly when logging into my bank after the first time it remembered me and no longer asked the challenge questions.

I figured at this point that it may have been something with my old user account but I wanted to try one more thing before going through the pain of making this new account like the old one. So, I copied the new Firefox profile from my new user account over
    to my old user account . Then logged back into my old user account, and selected to use that Firefox profile. After doing that it now works properly. Why creating a new Firefox profile under my old user account won't work, I have no idea.

Anyway this is what worked for me.

n7yoC, Dec 25, 2017
  3. Shenan Stanley, Dec 25, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Dec 26, 2017
  5. shimshom Win User
    Once you put your profile in the correct location ("C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles" and renamed the original profile which you can later delete if you wish) copy the full name of the profile you wish to use open the profiles.ini file which is in the same folder with notepad and change the name of the original profile in Path=Profiles to the one you want save and it should work. You might need to take ownership of profiles.ini

shimshom, Dec 26, 2017
  6. Not Myself, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot restore old firefox profile - Similar Threads - cannot restore old

2. How to restore Win10 20H2 Firefox profile from Ubuntu backup

in Browsers and Email
    How to restore Win10 20H2 Firefox profile from Ubuntu backup: I'm a former Windows user (12 years with Ubuntu) thinking about migrating back to Win10. I have my Firefox default- release profile backed up daily on a usb hard drive. I've tried copying the contents of my profile to users/Lou/appdata/mozilla/xxxxxxxx.default-release with no...
  3. Cannot access old user profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot access old user profile: I have switched user profiles on my laptop a couple of years ago when I domain joined the device but need access to my old profile (which used the same username but wasn’t domain joined). I can still see it in c:\users\ but I do not see it in PC Management or when I use ‘net...
  4. Firefox Tip, transferring profiles from a old pc

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Tip, transferring profiles from a old pc: If you are coming from a old pc and need to transfer your old profiles try this. Go to your old pc Press Windows + R to open the run command type%appdata% Go to the mozilla folder Click Firefox and Profiles Copy the folder(s) if you have more than one folder Make a...
  5. Firefox Tip, transferring profiles from a old pc

in Windows 10 Support
    Firefox Tip, transferring profiles from a old pc: If you are coming from a old pc and need to transfer your old profiles try this. Go to your old pc Press Windows + R to open the run command type%appdata% Go to the mozilla folder Click Firefox and Profiles Copy the folder(s) if you have more than one folder Make a...
  6. Trying to restore full screen Firefox

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trying to restore full screen Firefox: My dog was sitting on my lap and hit something on the keyboard with her paws. The screen on Facebook has shrunk to a mini size in the middle of the monitor. Every other website is fine. How can we restore full screen to undo what she did?...
  7. Restore Administrator Profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restore Administrator Profile: In windows 10 pro can administrator profile be restored without reloading windows *Moved: Originally posted for Windows RT* https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-administrator-profile/4fd0fdf4-8fee-4312-a9d8-47f282b7d084
  8. Firefox Profile files and folders explained

in Windows 10 News
    Firefox Profile files and folders explained: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]One of our readers suggested us to come up with a follow-up article on how to find the Firefox Profile, describing some of the folders/files in the Firefox Profile folder on Windows PC. Particularly, the ones required for an easy reinstall [...] This post...
  9. Unknown Firefox Profiles

in Browsers and Email
    Unknown Firefox Profiles: With Bree and Edwin's help I finally got into the FF Profile Manager and it showed just one profile named default. I then looked at my FF profile and found four profiles whose names all ended in 'default. How can I determine which is the 'active' onel Can I get rid of the...
  10. Cannot Restore from old Drive Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cannot Restore from old Drive Image: Computer operation has become very slow, and I planned to save documents, browser data, etc. and return to an earlier image. This approach worked fine with win XP and 7, but not with 10. I initially had win7, and upgraded to 10 (with Microsoft's unexpected help). I made...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. firefox restore old profile

2. unable restore old firefox profile folder

3. how to restore old firefox profile