Windows 10: Cannot restore startup entries after Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support Cannot restore startup entries after Windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I did two upgrades - one 10 home x86 and the other 10 home x64 - and they completed without error. The only issue I'm seeing on both of them is I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Victek, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Victek Win User

Cannot restore startup entries after Windows 10 upgrade

I did two upgrades - one 10 home x86 and the other 10 home x64 - and they completed without error. The only issue I'm seeing on both of them is I can't re-enable a number of auto-starting items that I disabled before running the upgrade. I used the Ccleaner startup manager to turn them off; now when I run Ccleaner the disabled items show however when I enable them they don't stay enabled. I ran System Configuration (aka Msconfig) and it is showing "selective startup", however changing to "Normal startup" also doesn't stick. I've been able get a few of the apps to auto-start again by toggling their "start with windows" option, but the other apps don't have that setting. Uninstall/reinstall would probably fix them, but I was hoping for a simpler way.

Also I saw an antimalware service running in the task manager this morning eating a lot of cpu. I'm guessing it's Windows Defender which I don't need. Is there a way to turn it off? TIA for any suggestions *Smile

:)

Victek, Jul 29, 2015

2. windows 10 aniversary update,error:abnormal installation,product update entries not found

after updating to aniversary update im getting an error after startup of windows as

error:abnormal installation

product update entries not found,cannot continue

my laptop came with windows 10 preinstalled.

help me fix this problem

sharath k s, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Product Installed Required entries not exist. Cannot Continue

I believe the solution here
    Product Installed Required entries not exist. Cannot Continue - Microsoft Community
    to establish a Clean Boot works, but the problem came back after a normal boot was restore.

So try the Clean Boot prescribed in thread to test it after reboot, but this time do not restore any of the unneeded items starting up with Windows except your AV if you have one installed besides the built-in Defender.

If after rechecking the box for your antivirus the problem returns, then uninstall your antivirus and rely on the adequate built-in protection of Defender, along with the best-in-class on-demand free scanners from Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware or AdwCleaner.

If you notice something missing at Startup after the Clean Boot, you can add it back to test if the problem recurs. But generally nothing needs to start with Windows except your AV and perhaps sync. All others are freeloaders on your system resources which
    are mainly there to spy while posing as Updaters.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Victek Win User

OK, here's what happened. Windows 10 saved the disabled startup items to a registry key which cannot be manipulated by Ccleaner. Once I found the keys I was able to replicate the startup shortcuts and then delete the old ghost keys. Now the startup items display properly in Ccleaner and on the Startup tab of the Windows 10 task manager.

Regarding turning off Windows Defender I discovered that there is already a tutorial:

Windows Defender - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Victek, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Embb Win User
    Could you perhaps elaborate somewhat more about what you did, as I still do not know much about this and am still learning.

6. Victek Win User
    Sure Cannot restore startup entries after Windows 10 upgrade :) The key was learning that I could right-click the ghost entries in the Ccleaner Startup Manager and select "edit with Regedit". That showed me where in the registry the inactive keys were located. Then I was able to recreate the shortcuts and put them either in the user startup folder or the all users (common) startup folder. See here for more information:

How to find auto startup folder in Windows 10 (Where is it)?

Hope this is clear. Let me know if you have more questions.

Victek, Jul 31, 2015
  7. Embb Win User
    Ah.. I understand. I have a question about how to open things in the background or silent. For Steam I would see something at the end saying -silent. How would you go about doing that for shortcuts?

8. Victek Win User

Unfortunately I believe the "switch" varies depending on the application. For instance in my startup entries I see "/autostart", "/background" and "/startup" appended to some of the executable strings while others have nothing added and still load silently. You could try contacting support for your apps, or just experiment with different switches.

Victek, Aug 1, 2015
  9. Embb Win User
    I'm just wondering about where you would put it. I can see it, but where in the properties section of the shortcut do I put it.

Embb, Aug 1, 2015
  10. Victek Win User
    Typically the switch is appended to the end of the entry. For instance:

"C:\program files\my-program\my-program.exe" /autostart

In the shortcut's properties you will see the string which includes the path and the switch (if one is used). Note the quotation marks.

Victek, Aug 1, 2015
  11. Embb Win User
    Alright, thanks. *Biggrin

Thema:

1. Cannot restore startup entries after Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Cannot restore startup

2. TaskManager startup entries missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TaskManager startup entries missing: I just noticed that the entries in start up are missing. I ran a command to check what my startup programs are and they are all still registered how I would expect them to be, and they all start up when I reboot my computer, they're just not showing up in Task Manager. I also...
  3. What are these 2 startup entries?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are these 2 startup entries?: I have these 2 errenoues entries that appear when I run Autoruns: \Microsoft\Windows\SMB\UninstallSMB1ClientTask File not found: Unrestricted \Microsoft\Windows\SMB\UninstallSMB1ServerTask File not found: Unrestricted It's a fresh Windows 10 install. I did enable the: -...
  4. Missing DLL Entry Point after Upgrade to Windows 10

Missing DLL Entry Point after Upgrade to Windows 10: I am three months into my upgrade to Windows 10 and needed to pull up old files from 2017 and 2013. These are exe files. I get an error message that says: "The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library"and then it lists the file location of the...
  5. Windows 10 startup failing in a regular pattern after password entry.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 startup failing in a regular pattern after password entry.: Hi All Having an issue where when I try log in after booting the pc, the password is accepted but then all i see is a black screen with the task bar and the screen begins flickering. - I can CTRL+ALT+DEL - I try click Task Manager and it does nothing. If i try restart, it...
  6. Application entries in registry broken after upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Application entries in registry broken after upgrade: Hey everyone! I just upgraded to Windows 10 after Windows 7 started failing on me. Everything is looking great, considering I'm on a Mac Pro 1,1. Getting drivers reinstalled is going smoothly, but I have a slight inconvenience. All my programs are still on the harddrive. They...
  7. Windows 10 store apps startup entry

Windows 10 store apps startup entry: Hey guys I downloaded Spotify from the windows store...delete it..now the startup entry is still in task manager startup .... I tried looking in current version run in regedit...but can't find it. Where is the start up folder for Windows 10 store apps? 134068
  8. (Universal) Windows Apps - Startup entry.

(Universal) Windows Apps - Startup entry.: Hello Guys, I have recently installed the Spotify from the windows store. It creates two startup entries as shown below: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. I would like to remove them both from the startup, however I...
  9. Multiple entries in Library after restoring backup data

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple entries in Library after restoring backup data: Hi, I just restored my PC after being formatted. Now my library looks like this. I have 2 internal HD which are meant for backup. How to restore the library so that it does not appear like the image below? [img] 78731
  10. Uknown Startup entry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Uknown Startup entry: Hello everyone and Merry Christmas! I'm troubled with the following entry in the startup of my Windows 10 Pro x64: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce] "Uninstall...