Windows 10: Cannot run apps by double clicking from explorer

Discus and support Cannot run apps by double clicking from explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm not sure when this started, just recently I believe - probably within the last two to three weeks. If I download something, go to that folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by flobgob, Jul 15, 2017.

1. flobgob Win User

Cannot run apps by double clicking from explorer

I'm not sure when this started, just recently I believe - probably within the last two to three weeks.

If I download something, go to that folder and double-click the app to run the install, nothing happens. If I leave the mouse icon there all you see is the arrow and the circle that spins as if something is loading. It will do that indefinitely. I can also not close that folder window - I have to reboot to make it stop trying to load (I assume it's trying to load?).

I also noticed that I couldn't double-click on pictures and have them open in the Windows Photo Viewer. I have to right click on them now, and choose "Open with" and then choose Windows Photo Viewer.

I thought maybe it was a file association thing after reading a thread that lead me to this:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/file-a...windows-10-8-7

But... after downloading that to give it a try, I cannot load the app/executable by double-clicking on it as it does what I explained above (acts as if it's loading but then never does).

Run as administrator makes no difference - it gives the same result.
    Moving the file to the desktop versus from a folder makes no difference - it gives the same result.

To the best of my knowledge my system is clean from virus and or spyware.

Any help is appreciated - thank you for your time.

:)

flobgob, Jul 15, 2017
  2. Micah Bat Win User

Internet Explorer has stopped working

Since it is working with other user account on your PC, kindly run both version of Internet Explorer (64bit and 32bit) to isolate your concern. To do so, follow the steps below:

For 64bit version:

• Double click FileExplorer
    • Click This PC
    • Double click Local Disk (CCannot run apps by double clicking from explorer :)
    • Double click Program Files
    • Double click Internet Explorer
    • Run the application iexplore.exe by double clicking it.

For 32bit version:

• Double click FileExplorer
    • Click This PC
    • Double click Local Disk (CCannot run apps by double clicking from explorer :)
    • Double click Program Files (x86)
    • Double click Internet Explorer
    • Run the application iexplore.exe by double clicking it.
    Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Jul 15, 2017
  3. Problems with one user only

Thanks for your reply. My problem is not really to do with internet access. I have 2 users on my PC, I am the admin. The other user works fine. There are no problems using edge or firefox and when typing in the search the web window bottom left of screen
    it does what you expect. Also this user can open file explorer and double click on a movie which opens fine.

My problems are the opposite. When I type in the search the web window bottom left of screen it displays results including apps but clicking the app or items in the list does not open anything. Clicking on the windows 10 icon bottom left does not display
    anything.

In addition I can open file explorer from the task bar but it takes 8 seconds and double clicking on a moviecauses the file explorer to say not responding.

At all times my internet is working fine, even though when I type in the search the web box it says cannot connect to the web, notethis does not happen to the other user.

I tried SFC but cannot click it to open, can I run this from another user? and the DISM app does not list windows 10.

Please help, this is driving me mad!

Bob_TaylorXD, Jul 15, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Jul 21, 2017
  5. flobgob Win User
    Holy cow - that worked!

Thank you. I greatly appreciate your help with this.

I don't suppose you can tell me why this is suddenly an issue and how I can fix it so I don't have to do this on every file?

flobgob, Jul 21, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "If I download something, go to that folder and double-click the app to run the install, nothing happens."

By default, any exe that you download from the internet should be blocked until you grant permission to run. Check your UAC settings which may have changed accidentally.

mrgeek, Jul 21, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot run apps by double clicking from explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot run apps

2. double click to rename

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    double click to rename: I used to be able to double click a file to rename it. After installing Windows 11, File explorer will not let me do that. Can I get this feature back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-to-rename/643a40ea-7871-4378-921d-4f07963a8677
  3. Double Click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Double Click: Hello, can somebody tell me how can i get rid off a double click it always makes me an issue. Thanks whoever responds. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click/a7d1d883-46d8-4a60-a144-19b78ce96c19
  4. Double Click

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Double Click: Hello, can somebody tell me how can i get rid off a double click it always makes me an issue. Thanks whoever responds. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click/a7d1d883-46d8-4a60-a144-19b78ce96c19
  5. apps won't open by double clicking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    apps won't open by double clicking: Apps on my desktop won't open when I double click on them. This is happening on both of my desktops. I'm wondering if it has something to do with a recent upgrade from windows....
  6. Single/double-click to open file in Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Single/double-click to open file in Explorer: Recently my Windows 10 Home has changed from double-click to open files to single-click and underlining files as hyperlinks, even though it is set to double-click in folder options. I have restored the default settings as shown below but this has made no difference. Using the...
  7. double clicking on a file in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    double clicking on a file in file explorer: when I double click on a file in file explorer the file comes up and so does a blank file in Word. How can I stop the empty file from coming up?...
  8. Double-left-click on CD Drive in Explorer invokes wrong app.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double-left-click on CD Drive in Explorer invokes wrong app.: I’m having trouble with clicking on my CD drive which insists on running Windows Media Player. I want to replace WMP with PotPlayer, which I have installed and let it associate itself with a vast number of media file types. 1. After much struggle, I have managed to get...
  9. Remove this Menu from Desktop on double click

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove this Menu from Desktop on double click: Thank you ! This was a perfect solution. *Thumbs
  10. Double-click to run .bat - Windows cannot find file

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-click to run .bat - Windows cannot find file: Recently (seemingly out of nowhere) my Windows 10 PC stopped running .bat files when I double-click on them. If I right-click and "Run as administrator" the files run. If I open a command prompt and invoke the bat file it also runs. This is true for every bat file I have...