Windows 10: Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.

Discus and support Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Not a big deal as easy enough to get round issue but I discovered something odd when using rdp. I have a vm and in enhanced mode, it is sett up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Nov 3, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.

Not a big deal as easy enough to get round issue but I discovered something odd when using rdp.

I have a vm and in enhanced mode, it is sett up to show host drives in the VM and this works fine.

If I remote connect to Host using Splashtop, I can see the Host drives in the Hyper-V vm.

However, if I remote connect to Host using RDP, the Hyper-V vm does not display the Host drives.

I can see them indirectly as networks shares but any idea why I cannot see them directly (tclient) when using RDP?

EDIT: I have just realised same happens if you just RDP from Host to VM i.e. not remotely connecting to Host. I am guessing that RDP probably only connects as a basic session? Having said that I can still hear sound ok, so it cannot be that simple.

As an aside, when I use a network share in vm to copy data from/to host rather than the enhanced session drives (tclient) as above, it is nearly 10 times faster. It has always been faster by 2 or 3 times for me but with FCU, network shares blitz almost as fast as copying just on host now Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP. :).

:)

cereberus, Nov 3, 2017
  2. HP2294 Win User

Hyper-V host cannot RDP into local clients running in an internal network

I have installed Hyper-V on my Windows 10 machine and are running a few different test machines on it. My test machines have two Nics -- One is disabled and primarily used when I need them to connect with the internet for various downloads etc. The other
    Nic is connected to an internal switch on the host with hardcoded IP's allowing the VMs to always communicate with each other.

My problem is when I attempt to RDP into the VMs from the host machine I am not able to reach them. IF I log into the machines first through the Hyper-V console and toggle a Nic (i.e. disable/enable one of the nics) I am able to RDP into the VM until it
    is rebooted again (My host is a laptop so they are being shutdown nightly).

I did mess around with the network settings on a previous setup and had it working -- but I am unable to reproduce the same settings. Currently the host is all "auto" setup by the system with three switches:

• External linked to my Wireless Nic
    • External Linked to my Physical Nic
    • Internal switch used for the VM's communicate amongst each other
    Any ideas on what network settings I am missing that will allow me to connect to the VM's instantly through an RDP connection? (I can console connect but prefer using RDCMan).

Thanks,

HP

HP2294, Nov 3, 2017
  3. Hyper-V issue on Windows 10

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I tried different ways.

One virtual adapter for Hyper-V manager and Network application on VM. Connected to VM via Hyper-V and the via RDP.

Then I added second virtual adapter dedicated for RDP only.

No success.

btw my laptop is Lenovo T460. No broadcom adapters inside.

АндрейГолдашкин, Nov 3, 2017
Thema:

Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.

1. Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP. - Similar Threads - Cannot host drives

2. HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host: Hi folks particularly @Kari (the expert on HYPER-V) !!!! I've got a test Linux VM on a laptop running with HYPER-V. I've installed XRDP on it so I was wondering would es RDP from the host to the VM enable me to get sensible resolution on the vm - Needs a bit of fiddling on...
  3. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  4. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  5. RDP to Win7 Enterprise VM (uses RemoteFX) on Windows 10 Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    RDP to Win7 Enterprise VM (uses RemoteFX) on Windows 10 Hyper-V: Hey guys just a quick question Just wanna ask how i would connect to my Win7 VM that uses RemoteFX on my Win10 physical machine. I can't seem to figure it out cause i know nothing about it, but i really wanted to use a VM just to separate parts of my work. I have added...
  6. Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar

Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar: Today, mysteriously both my Hyper-V vms are showing the taskbar of the host instead of the vm in enhanced session mode. They have always shown vm's taskbar until today. I can use the Windows key to bring up vm's task bar, but this is really annoying. Does anyone have an idea...
  7. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  8. How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder?

How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder?: I have just installed Hyper-V and Windows 10 on both Host & VM, and set up a wifi virtual switch so the VM can connect to the internet. Fine. But the Network icon in the Folders only shows its own desktop and "tsclient" but not the host PC. How do I get the VM to see the...
  9. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
  10. HYPER-V VM via RDP - Cannot install Pgms !!!!!

HYPER-V VM via RDP - Cannot install Pgms !!!!!: Hi there Trying to install programs while connected via RDP (the normal way of accessing your HYPER-V VM remotely). Cannot install programs. This seems a bit daft - I can't always be at the console of the HOST machine - I usually access VM's remotely anyway. cheers...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper-v vm can not see vm shares