Windows 10: cannot see JPEG's on reinstall

Discus and support cannot see JPEG's on reinstall in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad) came to us because it was running very, very slow - unusable. We got the lady's files off and I put a fresh copy of W10 on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by pawz10, Dec 7, 2017.

1. pawz10 Win User

cannot see JPEG's on reinstall

The laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad) came to us because it was running very, very slow - unusable. We got the lady's files off and I put a fresh copy of W10 on asking it to keep user files.
    The install seemed to go well enough and everything seemed OK when I got in again, but there is no app to view photos available, and when I downloaded a freebie, and then FastStone Resizer, in the first instance the pics were visible, and then after that, they were not. Very frustrating. I am not a W10 person myself so maybe there is something more I need to do.
    The lady is 'Administrator'. Can you help please? The lady is a photographer and artist so it is very important to her that she can see and work on her pics.

I worry that the file corruption causing the problem, though now corrected, might have been because the HDD is failing. The machine started life as Windows 8, so a few years old. It only has 4gb ram in as well.
    Please advise.

:)

pawz10, Dec 7, 2017

2. Can't View PNG Images

Open the photo in Paint and then save as a jpeg.

This will, at least, allow you to see your photos.

I cannot understand why you cannot open .png files with your Photos app.

f57c395e-c2ee-4d0c-af92-9ac0695cb1ea, Dec 7, 2017
  3. Why can't I save a photo downloaded from my camera as a JPEG in Windows 10?

I cannot save a photo as a JPEG. When I click save as JPEG is not an option.

Dianne6081, Dec 7, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

If you right click on a photo you should see open with as an option or edit what do they show?

Samuria, Dec 7, 2017
  5. pawz10 Win User
    FastStone Resizer would not see any of the photos in the Picture folder so, light-bulb moment, I opened up the Picture folder I had saved on my external, which I then imported to the Lenovo's desktop, and it saw them there just fine, so it seems to me the problem was in damaged headers or something like, so I took out all the pics in the original folder, that Windows 10 should have preserved when it refreshed itself, and replaced them with the ones I had stored, and now they are seen. Problem seems to be solved - except I still want to get the 'proper' photo viewer to see the pics. Had no joy with that when exploring the web. Thank you for your help - appreciated *Smile

pawz10, Dec 7, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    There are two 'proper' viewers.

The 'Photos' app is one of the built in apps (like Calculator, Groove Music and the Store) that should have been installed as part of any clean install of Windows 10. If you can't find the Photos app this tutorial may help.

*Arrow Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10

The old Windows Photo Viewer that was in 8, 7, XP et. al. should also still be available in a clean install of Win10.

*Arrow Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

Bree, Dec 7, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    mrgeek, Dec 7, 2017
  8. pawz10 Win User

Bree, I am wondering if the re-install ( with user files intact), might not have been as complete as it ought as there is no native photo app available that I can find on there - nor have I seen Calculator, Groove Music or the Store in evidence. Not being a W10 person myself I was not looking for these things, but I will go back in and look now. I do hope I have not got to do this all over again *Sad I will look at the tutorials, thank you.

mrgeek. thanks for that, I will probably leave the current app on there for now as I think it likely that the owner will use her old Adobe photoshop software in preference to anything I put on, but I have now downloaded the FS Viewer you mention for future reference. Thank you.

pawz10, Dec 7, 2017
  9. pawz10 Win User
    ps. perhaps this lady does not have a Microsoft account - would that explain why I cannot see these apps or the store? She upgraded to W10 from Win 8, and she is not computer savvy..

pawz10, Dec 7, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    I upgraded from 7 to 10 and I also have no MS account. I have all the built in Apps, I also get them when I do a clean install.

Run Winver and find out exactly which edition you have installed. I get all the standard apps in Home and Pro clean installs, as I understand it Education has some of them removed. It's also possible (AIUI) to accidentally install 10 S. The install media made by the Media Creation Tool does include all of the editions, so anything is possible.

11. pawz10 Win User
    she does have an MS account and it has now been freshly verified with a new code and I am using it - what do I do next, can you advise please? I sort of expected something called 'Store' would pop up in apps, but nothing is there.. do I have to go somewhere online? Will get winver ( blast from the past that is)

pawz10, Dec 7, 2017
  12. pawz10 Win User
    it is Home, 1703, OS Build 15063 483

still no built in apps..

pawz10, Dec 7, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

I've just re-read your first post and spotted that you said...
    ...and that is almost certainly the reason you don't see any of the built-in Apps. That is the built-in Administrator account which should by default be disabled. It can be enabled, but it cannot run the Desktop Apps such as Store. It is not intended to be used as a 'daily' account. Normal practice it to use a normal account, either an administrator (but not the Administrator) or a standard user. There should always be at least one account that is an administrator for maintenance purposes, then there is no need to enable the Administrator.

Are there any other user accounts? If so, sign in to one of them and see it that has all the Apps. If not, create a new local account as a test and try that.

14. pawz10 Win User
    well, I am going round in circles, I think I just have to do another reset. Fed up..
    oh, did not see the new post.. I must come out of here to read it

pawz10, Dec 7, 2017
  15. pawz10 Win User
    no other accounts, and I did not set her to be admin. There is an administrative account on the sign in screen, that is not her I think. Her name is above it as it would be in another account - she is the only user so would be an administrator perhaps, just as you can have in other Windows, without invoking the Administrative account which is a separate entity. I shall go into the Admin account just to see, but I think that is right...yes, administrative account is not being run.. how can I change her user status from admin? She only one on there...I shall start again I think..

pawz10, Dec 7, 2017
Thema:

1. cannot see JPEG's on reinstall - Similar Threads - cannot JPEG's reinstall

2. Windows 10 cannot open jpg/jpeg files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 cannot open jpg/jpeg files: Whenever I try to open a jog or jpeg file I get the message that this file type is not supported. Has anyone else had this problem.?How can I fix it? Thanks...
  3. error "Windows cannot find [fiename.jpg, jpeg]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    error "Windows cannot find [fiename.jpg, jpeg]: Double-clicking on jpg, jpeg, gif files in current Windows 10 gives "Windows cannot find [filename]. Won't open using Open With from right-click menu. MS Photos won't run from Start menu. Tried Repair, Reset without success. Restores from Windows restore didn't work. I...
  4. Cannot quick print JPEGs from Outlook

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot quick print JPEGs from Outlook: I have tried updating the computer and Microsoft office. and repairing everything I can think of. Is there a reason that I cannot quick print JPEGs and Outlook. I get the error message "Windows can't find this picture check the location and try again" Any help would be...
  5. Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files

Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files: Hello Windows 10 can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files in Photo viewer/Photos/Paint app. windows edition - Windows 10 Pro windows version - 2004 Installed on - 2020-07-16 OS build - 19041.388 Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  6. Cannot open Jpegs

Cannot open Jpegs: Hi, I am unable to open jpegs in Windows. I click on a file and I get a pop up stating 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.' I have watched countless videos on YouTube claiming a miracle...
  7. Cannot open jpeg files

Cannot open jpeg files: ?? I am trying to work with images and I cannot open jeg files.. the windows photo view is not the option. Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-jpeg-files/5efd03a1-cb88-45cd-93ca-e19b194086bb"
  8. JPEG Photo Cannot Be Viewed on My Laptop

JPEG Photo Cannot Be Viewed on My Laptop: Hi, My laptop cannot view some of the JPEG photo stored in my Dropbox. However, those photo can be viewed when using my phone. Below are the screenshot for your reference. Kindly seek for your assistance on this. Thank You. Regards, Crystal Heng [ATTACH]...
  9. cannot see jpegs on windows 10

cannot see jpegs on windows 10: I downloaded pictures off my galaxy s7 to my pc, now I cannot see them. It says the picture or program is unsupported. I have tried resetting photos. When I look at the properties, the picture has ballooned to 27 gb....
  10. Cannot open jpeg in Live Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot open jpeg in Live Mail: Hi - I can send photo's to people but when they send them back to me all I get is e.g.-[cid:image001.jpg@01CFF1EB.6E952370] & I'm unable to open them - I use Windows Live Mail & OS is Windows 10 Can anyone help ? 23050