Windows 10: Cannot see laptops with files shared over the network

Discus and support Cannot see laptops with files shared over the network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two laptops, both sitting next to the WiFi but from some reason I cannot see any shared device on laptop 1. And on laptop 2, I can see all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lolcocks, Jan 22, 2016.

1. lolcocks Win User

Cannot see laptops with files shared over the network

I have two laptops, both sitting next to the WiFi but from some reason I cannot see any shared device on laptop 1.

And on laptop 2, I can see all the devices with shared files in them. I can even access the shared files in laptop 1, but I cannot see the shared files on laptop 2.

Why is this happening?

I just installed Windows 10 on both of them, same method, same software, same laptops that is same model.

Why is this happening?

:)

lolcocks, Jan 22, 2016

2. cannot share files and folders between two laptops both running win 10 and on the same private network

1. I cannot see laptop 1 on laptop 2 but I can see laptop 2 on laptop 1 (explorer > network)

2. Cannot share files or folders - tried to share, define permissions, add security, works for some time but disappears if one of the laptops go to sleep. Checked Advanced Sharing on network...

I am an advanced user - all I am trying to do is share folders across 2 laptops both running win 10..

Please help!

GautamBanerjea, Jan 22, 2016
  3. max_logun Win User
    WLAN on N95

Many thanks for the advise, my N95 is now surfing the net well over my wifi, but now cannot switch the file sharing feature on and windows does not seem to see the phone on the network, so do you have any suggestions on how to get file sharing working?

max_logun, Jan 22, 2016
  4. lolcocks Win User

I forgot to mention how I shared it.

All I did was create a new folder on "D:" drive.
    Right click and Properties -> Sharing -> Share.
    In people to share with I put down "Everyone" and added it and then gave Read and Write permission.
    And then clicked Ok to share it.

That's all I have to do right?

Here are some screenshots:
    On one laptop I can see both my laptops. The one I am using as well as the other one.
    And on Laptop 2, I cannot see any device except my router.

Cannot see laptops with files shared over the network [​IMG]

lolcocks, Jan 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Cannot see laptops with files shared over the network - Similar Threads - Cannot laptops files

2. File Sharing Over a local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing Over a local network: I am trying to access my old PC which is on my home network. The system is detected but when I click it it asks for credentials and will not accept my Microsoft password. I use the same account to sign into both systems and it works fine to sign in to either one individually...
  3. File sharing over private network

File sharing over private network: How do I enable password protected sharing only for public networks? I want to achieve free sharing for all computers on the private network no passwords necessary, but prevent any sharing on public networks. Is this impossible?...
  4. Cannot see computer over the network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot see computer over the network: Hi all. I have two Windows 10 computers on the same network: a desktop and a laptop. The desktop can see the laptop via Windows Explorer-->Network, but the laptop cannot see the desktop. How can I troubleshoot that? For the past several years, I never experienced this issue....
  5. I cannot see shared files on network

I cannot see shared files on network: I am unable to access the shared folders of my Lenovo PC. But I am able to access other systems shared folders from this PC. I got a message The remote device or resource won't accept the connection Detected...
  6. Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Cannot access files over Network Sharing: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  7. Cannot share files/folders over the network with another computer

Cannot share files/folders over the network with another computer: The closest I got to was the ability to see the 2nd computer's Users folder from the main computer, which is perfectly fine - but for some reason, I can't get an access anymore....
  8. Problems sharing files over network

Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  9. Problems sharing files over network

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  10. Unable to share files over Network

Unable to share files over Network: Unable to share files over Network I'm wondering if the requirement to log in is what's preventing me sharing on my network - on which 4 other laptops running Windows 10 are all happily communicating with the same sharing permissions as I've set up on this one. When I try...