Windows 10: Cannot see other computers in workgroup

Discus and support Cannot see other computers in workgroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a home network defined by workgroup (not homegroup). Three computers are Windows 10 (vers 1703) and one is Windows Vista. One of the Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndrewWalton, May 21, 2017.

1. Cannot see other computers in workgroup

I have a home network defined by workgroup (not homegroup). Three computers are Windows 10 (vers 1703) and one is Windows Vista. One of the Windows 10 computers can not see any of the other network computers. Nor can it see any of the network devices (including the network printer).

I have setup the sharing options and services (to automatically start) on the problem computer the same as the other Windows 10 computers. I have also reset the problem Win10 computer to factory settings.

What other things can I try? Any/all help will be appreciated.

:)

AndrewWalton, May 21, 2017
  2. Louie Del Win User

Can't see other computers in workgroup anymore

Hi Johann,

There are several reasons why you're having this issue. This can be related to a software conflict or a corrupted system files after the update process. To isolate your concern, you may use the following methods:

Method 1: Start your PC in safe mode. This will help detect if there are any third-party
    applications that may cause the issue.

Method 2: Run the System File Checker tool. This
    tool will allow you to scan for any corruption in Windows system files and restore it at the same time.

Let us know if the provided methods work for you.

Louie Del, May 21, 2017
  3. Can't see other computers in workgroup anymore

Hi

I can't see other computers in workgroup anymore, but they can see and access me.

Network discovery and File sharing are enabled.

I have tried two different routers.

Internet works fine.

I have not installed anything lately other than the automatic updates.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Johann

Johann Tietjen, May 21, 2017
  4. Ru33 Win User

Cannot see other computers in workgroup

I had a similar problem - 5 PC - 4 could see all 5, 1 could not see shares on any of the others.

After much to'ing and fro'ing I narrowed the problem down to a Workgroup master browser issue that has only come about since update 1703.

My solution was to use a FreeNAS server as the local master browser. The Freenas server keeps a record of the all workgroup PCs and shares this information to all the other PCs. I also rebooted the router and all the PCs and set all PCs to static IP addresses.

By the way, you can "find" the other PCs on the troublesome PC by using \\COMPUTERNAME\ in File Explorer - that should give you access to the PCs you can't connect to.

In your case - and assuming you don't have a friendly FreeNAS server laying around - I suggest shutting down all the PCs and your router, then restart the network - router, Vista PC, then Win10 PCs - I suggest the Vista machine first only because Win10 1703 seems to have rattled a few bits and upset the networking apple-cart! Doing this "should" clear all the workgroup IP information...

It's quite bizarre when, all of a sudden, and after being absurdly absent, all the missing PCs suddenly reappear in File Explorer...

R

5. Samuria Win User
    run this on allpc it will show which is master browser NetBScanner - NetBIOS scanner it often kicks things into life. B default the senior o/s should be MB ie win10 another thing is to stop and start nrowser service on each pc slowley. By default browser updates are every 23 mins so all pcs need to be on londer than that

Samuria, May 31, 2017
  6. tzr916 Win User
    Ran the tool. Shows another PC is Master Browser.
    Cannot find the Browser Service on my new laptop at all...
    How can I force a computer of my choosing to be the Master Browser?

tzr916, Jun 2, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    The service is called computer browser in win10 The first pc to boot is normally master browser but an election can take place when you turn pc off another will take over
    The Master Browser election setting is in the registry:
    HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Browser/Parameters/MaintainServerList
    It should be set to Auto. Then you can add the value IsMasterBrowser and set it to 1 to make that machine a master browser.

Samuria, Jun 2, 2017
  8. MRMIKEL Win User

If you have some 64 bit and some 32 bit, start the 32 bit first. Then all will work.

MRMIKEL, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot see other computers in workgroup - Similar Threads - Cannot computers workgroup

2. Cannot Find Other Computers in Workgroup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Find Other Computers in Workgroup: I did a fresh install of Windows 11 Version 21H2, OS build 22000.258 on an older HP Envy notebook. Yes, I know, it's not a fully-compliant machine. However, when I try to connect to other computers in the same workgroup, I have issues. The workgroup name is set correctly, and...
  3. Cannot Find Other Computers in Workgroup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Find Other Computers in Workgroup: I did a fresh install of Windows 11 Version 21H2, OS build 22000.258 on an older HP Envy notebook. Yes, I know, it's not a fully-compliant machine. However, when I try to connect to other computers in the same workgroup, I have issues. The workgroup name is set correctly, and...
  4. Cannot see any computers on WORKGROUP after latest updates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see any computers on WORKGROUP after latest updates: Hi there What's up with Windows networking. After latest updates I can't see any computers on LAN apart from the one I'm logged on to (SMB1 etc all set OK). However if I change the name from WORKGROUP to anything else - everything is visible again. What's the problem with...
  5. Cannot See All Computers / Servers in Our Workgroup

Cannot See All Computers / Servers in Our Workgroup: I am constantly bothered because some days I can see all of the computers in our workgroup, then other days, I only see some of them. It makes no sense to me. I do not make any changes to my system. I am running Windows 10 Professional. Network Discovery is turned on...
  6. I can't see other Pc's in my workgroup

I can't see other Pc's in my workgroup: I worder if there is a service which isn't running on my Pc because I can't see my streaming unit or any other Pc's in my workgroup. The Pc is new and on my laptop I can see the units in my workgroup but not on this Pc. I have compared the two Pc's sharing configuration and I...
  7. Cannot see other computers icons

Cannot see other computers icons: HI, I have the latest version of Windows 10 1809. In File Explorer under Network Icon I can see only the name of my computer but NOT the names of the other computers connected to the network. It does not occur on the other computers. Any idea how to fix this? Thks....
  8. Why can't I see other workgroup computers in Network?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why can't I see other workgroup computers in Network?: Why can't I see other workgroup computers in Network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-see-other-workgroup-computers-in/9ed3297c-4660-4a7d-b237-079eaa692ae2
  9. Computers can't see each other on workgroup

Computers can't see each other on workgroup: Recently added both laptops to a workgroup as suggested here to enable file sharing and it worked perfectly. Then suddenly today 1 of the computers can't see the other one. Laptop 1 can't see laptop 2 1 did have a Pin as security while 2 had a password. I've changed 1 to...
  10. Solved: Can't see other computers in Workgroup on Windows 10

Solved: Can't see other computers in Workgroup on Windows 10: Hi all, I'm finding Windows 10 enjoyable and pleasant for the most part. Unfortunately, some things that are easy to find or to do (probably due to years of experience) in Windows 7 and 8/8.1 are not easy to find, assuming they exist at all, in Windows 10 build 10130....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. workgroup windows 10 cant see other computers in workgroup

2. netbscanner can not detect other computers on my network

3. windows cannot see computer in workgroup

4. windows cannot see computers in workgroup,
  5. Cannot see other computers in workgroup