Windows 10: Cannot set default program for .lnk files.

Discus and support Cannot set default program for .lnk files. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My .lnk files will not open properly any longer. I know you can set the EXT back to explorer in 7. I go to Choose default apps by file type, and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DarkRookie, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Cannot set default program for .lnk files.

My .lnk files will not open properly any longer. I know you can set the EXT back to explorer in 7.
    I go to Choose default apps by file type, and I still cannot select a program on my system.

Is there a way to use the old Win 7 tool for this.
    (The right click -> open with... doesn't work)

:)

DarkRookie, Dec 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 - File Explorer Association

Shortcuts (.lnk files) can't be associated using Default Programs. If the problem is seen for ALL shortcuts including the ones in the desktop, then download and run the .lnk file registry fix from

here
    . That should restore the default settings.

The settings are here..

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.LNK

and

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LNKFILE

... just in case you want to compare the settings with another Windows 10 computer.

If the error occurs only for the File Explorer shortcut, then it could be a different issue. More info would help.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 19, 2017
  3. When I click on a weblink from Outlook I always get the "How do you want to open this" prompt no matter if I ask it to always choose Explorer

Hi,

By Explorer , did you mean File Explorer or Outlook Explorer?

In this case, I would suggest you to set the program that you want the web lnks to be opened with as the default application. Open Control panel, click on 'Default programs' and look for the option 'Set default programs'. In the list of programs, look for
    the program that you want to set as default and click on the option 'Set as default' at the bottom'. This will make this program the default application for all protocols that it can handle. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Dec 19, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Cannot set default program for .lnk files.

Brink, Dec 19, 2017
Thema:

Cannot set default program for .lnk files.

1. Cannot set default program for .lnk files. - Similar Threads - Cannot set default

2. .lnk folder file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .lnk folder file: Good day.Could someone please help me. I have created a folder in my OneDrive app and created a Shortcut from that folder however when I try accessing it online I cannot open the Shortcut folder. Here's how it looks.https://prnt.sc/8fxpgNamhqB6Thank you....
  3. .lnk folder file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .lnk folder file: Good day.Could someone please help me. I have created a folder in my OneDrive app and created a Shortcut from that folder however when I try accessing it online I cannot open the Shortcut folder. Here's how it looks.https://prnt.sc/8fxpgNamhqB6Thank you....
  4. Setting default program by file type

Setting default program by file type: I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the Microsoft store." What I want is a "Browse" option so I can choose my own program that I've installed. Why is that not available...
  5. Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

in Cortana
    Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk): My computer that is running Windows 10, desktop search or Cortana, cannot find the shortcut files (files with the extension .lnk). The problem occurred after the update. I hope to help....
  6. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting default programs: I am aware of how to change the default program in windows for file extensions, etc, but I want to be able to set the default association to any application of my choosing. I have seen old guides about this going into the old control panel, but that no longer works. Is there...
  7. .lnk files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .lnk files: The OneDrive Support team have told me to delete the following .lnk files as they are preventing a full sync. But they've also expressed caution:"Some applications may depend on these links to function properly. Remove only the links that you know are safe to modify"....
  8. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default programs: I would like to know why you can only set Microsoft Programs as the default programs In Windows 10, I have a media player i realy like and i can not set it as my default Media Program for some reason and i would like to know why and how Microsft is allowed by the Governement...
  9. Cannot change file's default program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change file's default program: Please do not suggest going to the settings/control panel and "set defaults by app", "choose default apps by file type", "choose default apps by protocol", or by right clicking and selected "set as default program". There are certain types that do not change and when I...
  10. Cannot set default programs on Windows 10

Cannot set default programs on Windows 10: I've had the problem in the title all the way back since 10 launched. Every time I try to change the default program in the settings menu (i.e changing edge to firefox) nothing will change. The edge logo will stay in the default browser section and firefox will still ask me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why cant i set the default .lnk pplication in settings for win10