Windows 10: Cannot set option to include Office updates in Windows Updates

Discus and support Cannot set option to include Office updates in Windows Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After installing the Anniversary Update, I checked some of the Windows Update settings. I found that the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by johnpd, Aug 8, 2016.

1. johnpd Win User

Cannot set option to include Office updates in Windows Updates

After installing the Anniversary Update, I checked some of the Windows Update settings. I found that the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" is now unchecked and further more it is also grayed out so I cannot recheck it. With the Anniversary Update, are Office updates now automatically included in Windows Updates?

JohnD

:)

johnpd, Aug 8, 2016
  2. K-S-R Win User

To get back Microsoft update in version 1607(Anniversary Update), you need to modify one setting in group policy editor.

• Go to run, type gpedit.msc
    • Navigate to Computer Configurations--Administrative Templates--Windows Components--Windows Update
    • In the right hand window select 'Configure Automatic Updates' -- Set it to 'Not configured' Click apply.
    • Now Click on Start--Settings--Update & security--Windows Update, Click on
      Check for updates
      , Once it finishes saying 'Your device is up to date', Click
      Advanced options.
    • 'Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows' should now be available for highlighting / selecting from previous unchecked and greyed out option.
    Hope this Solves the issue.

K-S-R, Aug 8, 2016
  3. Cannot set option to include Office updates in Windows Updates

not solved my problem Cannot set option to include Office updates in Windows Updates :)

still i cannot check this option

Ahmad AlHalabi, Aug 8, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

When you installed office did you install from an ISO or somewhere like MSDN download. For these Office will be updated in the normal Windows update (set in the options of windows update to get updates for ALL Ms products rather than just Windows).

If you installed via the Online application then you can get updates by going into Office Account and then clicking the Update Office icon. These won't be handled by the standard check for updates in windows update. This is for Office 2016 and Office 365. For Office 2010 there's no change -- don't know about Office 2013 --never used it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 8, 2016
  5. johnpd Win User
    Hi Jim,

I have Office Home and Student 2010. It has been on my system for three years. I have had that option checked ever since I installed it and I have been getting Office updates ever since then. It was fine until I just installed the Anniversary Update. With this update, they have messed around with the Windows Update Settings menus. After upgrading to Windows 10 about a month and a half ago, Windows Update had retained the setting I had established on Windows 8 ("Never check for updates"). I don't know where the setting is established. I assume it is buried somewhere in the Registry. I don't know if that is still in effect as the new Windows Update screen no longer displays that setting or Group Policy Edit settings. I will have to see what happens when some Office updates come out.

JohnD

johnpd, Aug 8, 2016
  6. johnpd Win User
    Well I got and applied the latest 2nd Tuesday updates. I received both standard updates and Office updates so it appears my initial settings are still working as before but it does not indicate it. Also I had to manually check for updates which indicates that my "Never check" option is still in place. They need to add an indicator as to what you Windows Update settings are.

JohnD

johnpd, Aug 9, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Bear in mind that Office 2010 will eventually be "Out of support" so you won't get updates indefinitely.
    I still think Office 2010 is streets ahead of 2013 (I hated that one) but Office 2016 is great if you have am understanding workplace who will get it for you. !!!!

In any case Office 2010 will continue to work for YEARS even at the end of lifetime -- companies rarely change their document formats.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 10, 2016
  8. Cannot set option to include Office updates in Windows Updates

I have Office 2013 and I have the same issue as the OP. Prior to Anniversary update, the option to "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" was selectable and it was checked and I got Office updates. After installing Anniversary update, this option is now UNselected and it is greyed out, not allowing me to select it. I have also verified, that I am also NOT getting updates for Office due to this.

Something is broken here.

Edit***

I just happened to find this post: Solved A Windows Update Advanced Option is Greyed Out - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

They suggest running the Windows Update troubleshooter. That fixed their issue. I will try this myself. Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Fix Issues with Windows Update (as administrator)

Edit 2***

Well it looks like the troubleshooter reported 0 issues so no fix was attempted for me. Back to the drawing board.

mcdonamwION, Aug 16, 2016
  9. johnpd Win User
    As I mentioned above, I am still getting security updates for Office so I don't know what is happening. It seems that MS has really messed around with Windows Update for this release. I think that update needs some serious review.

I tried the Troubleshooter and it did not find anything on my system either.

JohnD

johnpd, Aug 16, 2016
  10. I have 2 systems, both with the same issue. However, only one system is still pulling Office updates. The other is not.

mcdonamwION, Aug 16, 2016
  11. Same here. I posted in that post also, but posting here to see if anyone can figure it out. Was selectable prior to AU, but now it's greyed out. :-(

Bobby Phoenix, Oct 11, 2016
  12. Bobby Phoenix, Oct 13, 2016
  13. Cannot set option to include Office updates in Windows Updates

So after last week's updates (27th) I now noticed the option under "Advanced options" is still unchecked and greyed out, but now on the main page under the grey box to "Check for updates" I see "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update.". I could have sworn that option wasn't there before. I checked on another of my computers, and I don't have that, but I do have the advanced option available and checked. I wonder why it's different on one compared to the other. Either way I'm happy now that I can check for updates again.

Cannot set option to include Office updates in Windows Updates [​IMG]

Cannot set option to include Office updates in Windows Updates [​IMG]

Bobby Phoenix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot set option to include Office updates in Windows Updates - Similar Threads - Cannot set option

2. Issue- Office 365 apps are not working after update of windows patch updates. including...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue- Office 365 apps are not working after update of windows patch updates. including...: Hello Everyone,We have been facing this issue for three months now, first, it was not affecting more users and was not reoccurring every time. For the last 2 weeks, the case has been coming up again and again every week once user have their PCs updated to Windows updates.I...
  3. Issue- Office 365 apps are not working after update of windows patch updates. including...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue- Office 365 apps are not working after update of windows patch updates. including...: Hello Everyone,We have been facing this issue for three months now, first, it was not affecting more users and was not reoccurring every time. For the last 2 weeks, the case has been coming up again and again every week once user have their PCs updated to Windows updates.I...
  4. I cannot update my payment option for office 365

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot update my payment option for office 365: How do I speak to a human?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-update-my-payment-option-for-office-365/52907b53-33cc-4e06-83db-50a2da1fe756
  5. I cannot update my payment option for office 365

I cannot update my payment option for office 365: How do I speak to a human?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-update-my-payment-option-for-office-365/52907b53-33cc-4e06-83db-50a2da1fe756
  6. Windows update option missing in Settings

Windows update option missing in Settings: Hi all, I have to PC's on our network that have an issue with the Windows update feature. When I click on the Gear, then Update & Security and instead of getting the Windows Update option, I only see Delivery Optimization.On the any of the other machines, this is what I...
  7. Windows update option missing in Settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update option missing in Settings: Hi all, I have to PC's on our network that have an issue with the Windows update feature. When I click on the Gear, then Update & Security and instead of getting the Windows Update option, I only see Delivery Optimization.On the any of the other machines, this is what I...
  8. Windows not updating to 20H2 + other updates (including optional)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not updating to 20H2 + other updates (including optional): Hello everyone, so basically, I've only recently noticed that my laptop (Asus Zephyrus G14) hasn't updated in a while. After doing the usual trip into settings and pressing 'download and install', I got this message several times: 'Error encountered' followed by, 'There were...
  9. Cannot get Office Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot get Office Updates: So I did a clean install of Win10 1709 and I had a problem with some things which then it appeared that doing another clean install should fix them and it did. But now I just realized a new problem. I am using WUMT and I am getting the Windows updates, but I am not getting...
  10. Search results not including settings, eg Windows update

Search results not including settings, eg Windows update: When I press the Windows key and type "update", "Windows update" isn't returned in the results list. It was working a few days ago. I might have tweaked indexing options (but the indexer is still active) but there is no button to return this to default (it may not be...