Windows 10: Cannot share a printer on a home network

Discus and support Cannot share a printer on a home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I have a home network consisting of Windows 10 PCs and one Windows XP Pro PC. I used to be able to access the printer from my other PCs not the XP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ggeoff, Sep 26, 2016.

1. ggeoff Win User

Cannot share a printer on a home network

Hi
    I have a home network consisting of Windows 10 PCs and one Windows XP Pro PC. I used to be able to access the printer from my other PCs not the XP one though. Because of the XP PC I have all the PCs in a workgroup. The printer is attached to what I refer to as a print server. The server can access the other PCs but the other PCs can't access the server.

The issue is due to the Windows Update which took over two hours to complete. I say that because I could access the printer before. The trouble is I don't know what the update has done.

So I have a printer that works fine but my other computers although they can see it cannot access it.

:)

ggeoff, Sep 26, 2016
  2. Daisy0 Win User

How do I share a local printer over a home network?

I'm not a home network with Windows 10 computers. How do I share a printer connected to my desktop with the two laptops on the network?

Daisy0, Sep 26, 2016
  3. How do I share a local printer over a home network?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to share a printer connected to the desktop with two laptop computers’. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Do you have Windows 10 Pro on the desktop pc?

• Which version of Windows is installed on the two laptop?

• What is the make and model of the desktop and the laptop?

• How are they connected to each other?

• Have you installed all pending updates on the computers’?

You may create a homegroup as it is much easier way to share files and printers on a home network.

Turn on network sharing. The network sharing setting is only available for Wi‑Fi, Ethernet, VPN (non-domain), and dial-up (non-domain) connections.

Make sure your firewall allows file and printer sharing. If you are using the Windows Firewall then it automatically uses the correct settings for file and printer sharing when you share something or turn on network sharing.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Sep 26, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Get a Network Print Server that will work with your printer if only USB.

bro67, Sep 26, 2016
  5. ggeoff Win User
    I am sorry I don't know what a network print server is. Is it software? My printer works fine it cost me £500. surely the issue is making the printer accessible to other computers on my network.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 I did need to update my Epson software. Perhaps I need to update the software on the other computers?

ggeoff, Sep 26, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    A print server is a cheap little box that plugs into the network and printer so everyone can print to it and is always on so you don't need the share of on

Samuria, Sep 26, 2016
  7. ggeoff Win User
    Thanks for that. In the mean time I have removed the printer from one of the PCs and then added it again. I now am able to access the printer. I can't explain what the problem solution was though as I am accessing the printer from a PC that has been updated today. As before the PC took over two hours to update!

ggeoff, Sep 26, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

There are two KB's that came out a week ago that caused issues with Network shares. With XP no longer being supported, you may want to move that machine up to Windows 7 or install a Linux Distro to turn it into a server for printing and files.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  9. ggeoff Win User
    Thanks for that info. The trouble with updating the XP PC is that it would be a lot of work and at present it is running very well. It's Dell 9200 with three hard drives two in a mirror raid. I have bought, for a less than £200, another Dell 9200 that is running on Windows 7. The idea being that it would replace the old Dell (2006) when it failed. I have Adobe Creative Suite on that and I can't print from Photoshop. I have other document folders synced to other Windows 10 PCs so I can print from them.

ggeoff, Sep 28, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    The 9200 should run Windows 7 just fine. If the printer has a compatible Cups driver, there is always NethServer or set it up as a Linux Mint or XFCE install, so that you have the GUI. There is a install to allow you to access Cups from any web browser on the network, same as using Webmin.

I ended up just retiring our last Inkjet that was a Deskjet Pro All-in-one and getting a Brother HL-2280DW. Of course my wife did not notice at the time that it was not iOS compatible, so I had to get a Lantronix server. For the price of the extra server box, I could have just had her take back the printer and get the next one up.

bro67, Sep 28, 2016
  11. ggeoff Win User
    Hi I have managed to get printing from my XP PC. I created a local port and also this was crucial downloaded a driver for my printer from the XP PC this installed the printer on the XP.

ggeoff, Sep 29, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    I would place the drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 10 on that machine. These headaches are not going away too soon.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot share a printer on a home network - Similar Threads - Cannot share printer

2. i cannot add a shared network printer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cannot add a shared network printer.: Hi,i try to connect a shared printer but receive error when i try to connect. it says windows couldn't connect to the printer. some of my pc can add the printer and some got error.what is the problem? all firewall is off....
  3. i cannot add a shared network printer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i cannot add a shared network printer.: Hi,i try to connect a shared printer but receive error when i try to connect. it says windows couldn't connect to the printer. some of my pc can add the printer and some got error.what is the problem? all firewall is off....
  4. cannot share printer on home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot share printer on home network: used to use "home group" to share printer, worked fine. Aware that it is no longer an optionhave a win10 pc connected to router via ethernet with a usb printer connected to it. would like to share the printer to a second Win10 pc connected via ethernet on our home network...
  5. cannot share printer on home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot share printer on home network: used to use "home group" to share printer, worked fine. Aware that it is no longer an optionhave a win10 pc connected to router via ethernet with a usb printer connected to it. would like to share the printer to a second Win10 pc connected via ethernet on our home network...
  6. cannot share printer on home network

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Network shared printers.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network shared printers.: And so following the latest updates to Windows 21H1 networked computers are no longer able to access shared printers on the network. Can be 'seen' but cannot be connected to or used.~So just when is this major issue to be fixed?And don't come on here and tell me there is a...
  8. Home Network and shared printer access problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home Network and shared printer access problems: Hello, Have a Win 7 Home machine and a Win 10 machine. Win 10 can access some of the files (external HD) on my win 7 machine. Win 7 machine is NOT allowed into the win 10 machine for some reason. Each machine has its own printer (win 10 @ Cannon iP4700 series and designated...
  9. Cannot share folders over home network

Cannot share folders over home network: I used to have a HomeGroup, I understand that this is now gone. I can now only see media files over the network. I have changed all the folder secure sharing settings to allow viewing folders over the home network. I still don't see them. Just the media files. What's the...
  10. Printer sharing on network

Printer sharing on network: I have a new MFC installed on a network computer but connected via USB. The printer is set up to share and I can connect and print from another desktop on a wired network. However, I can not load the printer utilities and remotely configure the MFC. The error message says the...