Windows 10: cannot share files between windows 10 computers

Discus and support cannot share files between windows 10 computers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have had windows 10 running for a while, and I noticed that file sharing has recently stopped working. For the life of me I can't figure out what is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kwilliams0, Jan 12, 2017.

1. cannot share files between windows 10 computers

I have had windows 10 running for a while, and I noticed that file sharing has recently stopped working. For the life of me I can't figure out what is stopping this from working.

I have a desktop (windows 10) that has the files, as well as two laptops (windows 7 and windows 10) and a windows 10 Intel NUC.

For simplicity in troubleshooting, I have uninstalled completely Norton Security. I have triple checked that windows firewall is enabled on both of my Windows 10 computer with Allow File and Print sharing (ICMP) enabled (have read that turning off doesn't work).

Now, here is the weird part!
    * From my windows 7 laptop I can ping and see files just fine.
    * From my windows 10 laptop I cannot!

To simplify I am trying to get ping to work. I have installed wireshark on both laptop and desktop. When I send a ping:
    * I see it sending on my laptop
    * I see it being received and sent back on my desktop, and
    * My laptop gives me no wireshark response and says request timed out.
    Here's a snippet from wireshark from my desktop:

cannot share files between windows 10 computers [​IMG]

The machine name will resolve to IP address as well, but i have done everything i can possible think of, and the fact that a ping goes out, is acknowledged, sent back, but the response isn't making it back somehow is completely baffling me, especially since it works fine on Windows 7!

I have the exact same problem with my Intel NUC Windows 10 machine as well *Sad4 hours later and nothing from Google to help me, I 'm desperate for help!

:)

kwilliams0, Jan 12, 2017
  2. sadashivp Win User

share files between two computers -

cannot share files between two computers - both recently upgraded to Windows 10

sadashivp, Jan 12, 2017
  3. Share files between two computers

My old computer is unfortunately using W10 pro developer edition (17074) so the option to use homegroup has disappeared. The troubleshooting tool fails, so how do I connect to a computer that uses W10 home? Preferable without using the live stuff cannot share files between windows 10 computers :)

Is it possible to connect to PC's via USB - or.....?

MogensLunde, Jan 12, 2017
  4. wyldman68 Win User

cannot share files between windows 10 computers

I would try enabling: File and Printer Sharing (SMB-In), too.

wyldman68, Jan 12, 2017
  5. Thank you. I have enabled that, but didn't seem to help *Sad

kwilliams0, Jan 13, 2017
  6. okay, I figured it out. Since wireshark sniffs traffic before firewalls filter traffic, and the desktop is sending the response out, yet the laptop is not getting the response, then it is a network problem, and NOT an operating system problem.

I rebooted the router, and all is working again!

kwilliams0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

cannot share files between windows 10 computers

1. cannot share files between windows 10 computers - Similar Threads - cannot share files

2. sharing file between computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  3. sharing file between computer

in Windows 10 Support
    sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  4. File sharing between 2 computers

File sharing between 2 computers: File sharing between 2 computers used to be easy when Homegroup was available! How do I file/folder share between 2 computers using Windows 10? If I right click on a folder> Give Access to > Homegroup is not accessible. If I select "specific people" > Add it tells me this...
  5. sharing between windows 10 computers.

sharing between windows 10 computers.: I have just replaced a computer, on my old one I could share documents etc without problem but now I only get you do not have permission to enter or enter user name and password or network certification. I seem to have tried every thing and exhausted all options. Could anyone...
  6. Windows 10 sharing all files between computers

Windows 10 sharing all files between computers: Home Groups are no longer part of 10 but I can't find how to share between my two computers? Where & How? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-sharing-all-files-between-computers/5745e6ba-d837-42c5-9bc3-18a29d7181fd
  7. sharing files between computers.

sharing files between computers.: Let me be clear. I have a windows 7 computer and a windows 10 computer, I'm having a hideous time trying to share files between the computers, (I DO NOT WANT TO USE AN ONLINE FILE SHARING SYSTEM TO SHARE THE FILES.) I.E. Onedrive. both computers are on the same network...
  8. share file between computers

share file between computers: Trying to share files between computers on same Wifi network but when I click on file to share.. Share icon is gray and not available to click on. Using Win 10 home edition and other computer is using Win 10 pro...
  9. WIndows 10 file sharing between computers

WIndows 10 file sharing between computers: I can access and open files in computer A that are on Computer B's hard Drives I cannot open files on Computer A from Computer B. One computer is windows 10 home and the other is WIndows 10 Pro. I have set up permissions for "everyone" on both machines and all discovery...
  10. Cannot share files between 2 Windows 10 computers

Cannot share files between 2 Windows 10 computers: I had 2 Win 7 computers that shared files successfully without using a homegroup and with Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 installed. Then both of these machines were upgraded to Windows 10 and they can no longer share files. I get a message that one machine is denying...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. share files windows 10