Windows 10: Cannot start different PDFs on different desktops

Discus and support Cannot start different PDFs on different desktops in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This is a possible glitch. I want to have two desktops with a different PDF loaded on each one. When I try to load the second PDF on the 2nd desktop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jgradyc, Mar 10, 2015.

1. jgradyc Win User

Cannot start different PDFs on different desktops

This is a possible glitch. I want to have two desktops with a different PDF loaded on each one. When I try to load the second PDF on the 2nd desktop, it switches back to Desktop 1 and opens the PDF there instead.

:)

jgradyc, Mar 10, 2015
  2. bpug621 Win User

different backrounds on different desktops on the same computer

Ok, so I have been doing research and can't find anything about have different wallpapers on different desktops, but on the same computer. Some of my friends that have macs have this function, but I can't find anything about how to do it on windows 10.
    If there is no way to do it without an third party application, could someone recommend one? I really want to do this, and know some other people with the same problem. Thank you everyone who replies to this question in a non hate manner.

bpug621, Mar 10, 2015
  3. Martmcd Win User
    different backrounds on different desktops on the same computer

this was something asked for in early insider builds (over a year ago) you could upvote that request here feedback-hub:?contextid=216&feedbackid=ea92e239-8fdf-4fc4-897a-b2cf16ef88b6&form=1&src=2

or use the feedback app to post another request.

sorry don't know of any third party app that will do it.

[edit] for some reason it strips the link when I submit it, paste the following line into edge then click upvote

feedback-hub:?contextid=216&feedbackid=ea92e239-8fdf-4fc4-897a-b2cf16ef88b6&form=1&src=2

Martmcd, Mar 10, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

You're going to have be more specific. What software are you using? What do you mean by "Desktop"? Do you mean the Virtual Desktops feature? Are you talking about desktop apps or Modern apps?

Mystere, Mar 10, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Not sure of what applications you are using, but here's how to do it using Microsoft Reader and 'Task View' desktops:
    (Kind of a pain but doable!)

Cannot start different PDFs on different desktops [​IMG]

Cannot start different PDFs on different desktops [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 11, 2015
  6. jgradyc Win User
    I'm using Reader in Windows 10 Build 9926 with (I think) the latest updates. I open the programs I want (a browser... Chrome) and then open the PDF I want on one desktop. Then, I click Task View, Add Desktop, and then click on the new, empty desktop. Next, try to open a PDF on that desktop, but it opens on the first desktop, replacing the program I had open on Reader. The second desktop remains empty.

I can open Excel, Word, and browsers on both desktops... just not PDFs. I've found a work-around so I'll not worry about this.

Oh, I also tried Edwin's approach. It works. It's a bit nonintuitive and around your elbow to do it, but it does work. Thanks.

jgradyc, Mar 11, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    It would be nice if there were a setting "Open files in new instance by default on different desktops", but the problem with the concept of "intuitive" is that different people intuit things differently.

Some people would intuitively understand that Reader is a multi-document application, and would expect when you open a new pdf when you already have one open, it would switch to the desktop that was already running Reader and load it there. Why waste the memory of loading two instances of the application by default?

Others, like you, would expect that it would open a new instance on the current desktop. You can't make it do both without annoying everyone with prompts asking what to do every time.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot start different PDFs on different desktops - Similar Threads - Cannot start different

2. Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?: I have one desktop that I use for games and heavier programs like fusion 360 as well as a laptop used for tuning my car and school. They both are signed into the same windows account and would like them to have different desktops. When I make a change on my laptop like...
  3. Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to have different desktops on different computers?: I have one desktop that I use for games and heavier programs like fusion 360 as well as a laptop used for tuning my car and school. They both are signed into the same windows account and would like them to have different desktops. When I make a change on my laptop like...
  4. Different icons on Different desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different icons on Different desktops: when are we getting this feature it's pointless to have diffrent desktops with the same icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-icons-on-different-desktops/ab2ab73b-5d94-4e6d-8675-252a364894d8
  5. Different icons on Different desktops

Different icons on Different desktops: when are we getting this feature it's pointless to have diffrent desktops with the same icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-icons-on-different-desktops/ab2ab73b-5d94-4e6d-8675-252a364894d8
  6. Windows 11 Different Themes for Different Desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Different Themes for Different Desktops: I have just installed Win11 on my laptop. I know that I can apply different background images for different desktops in Win11.But I was curious if it is possible to apply different background slideshows for different desktops....
  7. Windows 11 Different Themes for Different Desktops

Windows 11 Different Themes for Different Desktops: I have just installed Win11 on my laptop. I know that I can apply different background images for different desktops in Win11.But I was curious if it is possible to apply different background slideshows for different desktops....
  8. Different icons on Different desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different icons on Different desktops: Hi all, Just wondering as i just got a new laptop with Windows 11 if i can install different icon shortcuts in different desktops.It appears each new desktop clones the icons from the last.It would be good to switch to a different desktop and see different icons altogether...
  9. Different icons on Different desktops

Different icons on Different desktops: Hi all, Just wondering as i just got a new laptop with Windows 11 if i can install different icon shortcuts in different desktops.It appears each new desktop clones the icons from the last.It would be good to switch to a different desktop and see different icons altogether...
  10. Different shortcut icons on different desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different shortcut icons on different desktops: Is it possible to place different sets of icons on different desktop ? For example, having desktop 1 empty, desktop 2 full of files, desktop 3 with shortcuts to programmes/games, etc. Also is there a way to have a different wallpaper on each desktop, to tell them apart...