Windows 10: Cannot take ownership of any folder, despite repeated attempts

Discus and support Cannot take ownership of any folder, despite repeated attempts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Sometime last week -- and I can't figure out when or why -- I lost ownership of all of the folders on my PC. I noticed when I was no longer able to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by giddygoon, Jul 1, 2017.

1. giddygoon Win User

Cannot take ownership of any folder, despite repeated attempts

Sometime last week -- and I can't figure out when or why -- I lost ownership of all of the folders on my PC. I noticed when I was no longer able to create folders. Then I discovered none of the folders have security tabs.

The C drive itself and my external hard dive (L) both have security tabs, but when I go into them to take ownership (Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Check both "Replace owner..." and "Replace child permissions..." -> Apply) the process fails because of a "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied" error.

My system restore didn't fix it, because it didn't go back far enough (I think), and I can't find the same error in the various forums.

Does anyone have a suggestion beyond reinstalling/refreshing Windows? I could do that, but reinstalling all of my software is five or six hours I'd prefer to waste on just about anything else.

Thanks in advance!

:)

giddygoon, Jul 1, 2017

2. WindowsApps folder on other drives/partitions other than C:\

I just discovered that attempting to take ownership of the WindowsApps folder on any drive but C:\ isn't working correctly.

If you process this on C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, it works just fine. But any other drive letter; IE E:\WindowsApps, it will display that you have taken ownership, but you cannot access the folder.

A little bit more digging, after processing ownership, you CAN access it under safe mode and make further edits to the folder permissions, but if you go back into a normal boot, you cannot access the folder.

I understand that these folders have these settings for a reason, but if we are allowed to take ownership, we should then be able to access them.

MaximusX800, Jul 1, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Cannot take ownership of Windows folder

Taking ownership of files and folders in Windows 10 can be hit or miss, Click HERE to download a Reg file from my DropBox Account, double
    click it and select yes to merge with your registry.

Then on your right click menu you will see a new entry 'Take Ownership'. So all you have to do is right click any folder or file and select Take Ownership, a Command Prompt window will open and perform the task for you.

I would however advise you not to take ownership of the whole Windows folder, you should only take ownership of the regedit.exe file or any other files you need to . . .

DaveM121, Jul 1, 2017
  4. Cannot take ownership of any folder, despite repeated attempts

This command should reset permissions to default:

Code: icacls C:\* /T /L /Q /C /RESET[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Jul 1, 2017
  5. giddygoon Win User
    Strangely, that didn't work at all. I watched the notifications go by, but none of the folder permissions changed. The notifications said repeatedly "Access is denied."

giddygoon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot take ownership of any folder, despite repeated attempts

1. Cannot take ownership of any folder, despite repeated attempts - Similar Threads - Cannot ownership folder

2. Cannot delete WindowsApp folder, even after taking ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete WindowsApp folder, even after taking ownership: *** Please read before suggesting taking ownership ***So, I've come across this problem before on Windows 10 which I managed to fix once. The other times had to be solved by formatting the drive.As a bit of background, I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 without issue....
  3. Cannot delete WindowsApp folder, even after taking ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete WindowsApp folder, even after taking ownership: *** Please read before suggesting taking ownership ***So, I've come across this problem before on Windows 10 which I managed to fix once. The other times had to be solved by formatting the drive.As a bit of background, I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 without issue....
  4. Cannot take ownership of a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot take ownership of a file: Hi, I am trying to take ownership of a file with no current owner and tried to take ownership as the administrator, but no matter what I do, the it keeps "no current owner" in its properties. I have tried to change the ownership by "Replacing all child object permission...
  5. Cannot copy files to WindowsApps folder even after taking Ownership of the folder

Cannot copy files to WindowsApps folder even after taking Ownership of the folder: I have been trying to copy gamepad emulator files to Forza Horizon 4 folder in windowsapps folder. I took ownership of the folder and giver full control. Even then It shows the error shown in the screenshot below. [ATTACH]...
  6. cannot take ownership of folders

cannot take ownership of folders: I get permission errors when I try to open some folders in Windows 10 desktop. I try to take ownership as described in How to take ownership of a Folder. I am the administrator. I'm the only user. When I do I get the following errors. an error occurred applying security...
  7. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Take Ownership folders and files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  9. Take Ownership folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  10. Unable to take ownership of a folder.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to take ownership of a folder.: Hi guys, I am unable to take ownership of a folder with my account which is the only administrator account in my PC. [img] This is the issue that pops up. I took ownership with the above account as shown below. [img] [img] I have even applied the changes to all...