Windows 10: Cannot turn on Netword Discovery for Private Networks

Discus and support Cannot turn on Netword Discovery for Private Networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; As noted in this thread, Cannot restore the Diagnostic Policy Service Solved - Windows 10 Forums, I am trying to network a number of computers. Web... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Snowshed, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Snowshed Win User

Cannot turn on Netword Discovery for Private Networks

As noted in this thread, Cannot restore the Diagnostic Policy Service Solved - Windows 10 Forums, I am trying to network a number of computers. Web searching indicated I needed to turn network discovery on for private networks, but according to the Windows troubleshooting process, the diagnostic policy editor was not running.

TairikuOkami helped me install the editor, but I still cannot turn on network discovery for private networks.

From what I understand, this needs to be turned on for everything to work.

All three computers "see" each other, but only the W7 actually "talk" to each other. When the attempt to communicate between W10 and either W7 computer, the message says one computer cannot access the other computer.

Will turning network discovery on solve this, or do I have separate problems?

:)

Snowshed, Jun 1, 2017
  2. mac1-131 Win User

where is map of network in win 10?

mine shows all my networked PCs just fine.

do you have network file discovery turned off? I think it is off by default.

when you click Network on explorer, click Network and Sharing Center on the toolbar at the top, then click on Change Advanced Sharing Settings on the left side.

then under each category private, work and public turn on Network discovery. You probably only want it on for Private and not on for Public

mac1-131, Jun 1, 2017
  3. Bryan2010 Win User
    Change my network to private in windows 10?

Go to File Explorer and click on "Network" in the Navigation pane.

You will get a warning that Network discovery is turned off. I can't recall the exact steps but they're obvious when presented.. You will get an option to turn on Network Discovery and make network private. Choose that option and it will be fixed.

Bryan

Bryan2010, Jun 1, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Are all the computers running the Pro or Home version of Windows? Could be important knowing that.

Berton, Jun 1, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    To access other PC's you need to set up shares and permission have you done that

Samuria, Jun 1, 2017
  6. Snowshed Win User
    I sort of thought folks would click the link in my original post to learn what I'm trying to do.

I've copy/pasted what I'm trying to do below the asterisks...

**************************************************************************************************** ********
    Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
    Dell Optiplex 380

I am trying to network my computers, of which I have too many! LOL These are the OSes I need to network, although each OS is not always on a separate computer.

• XP Pro
    • Vista Ultimate
    • Windows 7 Ultimate
    • Windows 8 Pro
    • Windows 7 Starter
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • OS X 10 El Capitan
    • Linux Mint 18.0 Sarah

XP and Vista is a machine set up as a multiboot computer.
    7 & 8 I select the boot drive during boot up.
    All others are individual machines.

Goals:

• To get everything to talk to each other seamlessly, starting with W10 and W7.
    • And actually enjoy using my computers again. I grew tired of sneakernet years ago.

**************************************************************************************************** ********
    No reply to this message is necessary.

Snowshed, Jun 2, 2017
  7. Snowshed Win User
    I sort of thought folks would click the link in my original post to learn what I'm trying to do.

I've copy/pasted what I'm trying to do below the asterisks...

Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
    Dell Optiplex 380

I am trying to network my computers, of which I have too many! LOL These are the OSes I need to network, although each OS is not always on a separate computer.

• XP Pro
    • Vista Ultimate
    • Windows 7 Ultimate
    • Windows 8 Pro
    • Windows 7 Starter
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • OS X 10 El Capitan
    • Linux Mint 18.0 Sarah

XP and Vista is a machine set up as a multiboot computer.
    7 & 8 I select the boot drive during boot up.
    All others are individual machines.

Goals:

• To get everything to talk to each other seamlessly, starting with W10 and W7.
    • And actually enjoy using my computers again. I grew tired of sneakernet years ago.

No reply to this message is necessary.

Snowshed, Jun 2, 2017
  8. Snowshed Win User

I just copied a post from another thread that lists all the operating systems I want to network. I'm starting with all the Windows computers first.

The two W7 and the Vista all work as they should.

It's W10 being a PITA in talking to those 3 Windows computers.

Once W10 is successfully networked, I'll work with W8 and XP. I actually expect XP to be a bit of a problem, but not W8.

Snowshed, Jun 2, 2017
  9. Snowshed Win User
    Yep. As I mentioned to Breton, 3 of the Windows computers are networked and working just fine. W10 is being the current PITA.

A question...

How does sharing and permissions affect whether you can turn network sharing on a private network on and off?

Snowshed, Jun 2, 2017
  10. Snowshed Win User
Thema:

1. Cannot turn on Netword Discovery for Private Networks - Similar Threads - Cannot turn Netword

2. Cannot turn on Network Discovery in Windows 11 Pro 21H2.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot turn on Network Discovery in Windows 11 Pro 21H2.: Unable to view network computers from client workstations in a Windows Server 2016 domain.Cannot turn on Network Discovery in Windows 11 Pro 21H2 from "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings".Then discovered "Function...
  3. Cannot turn on Network Discovery in Windows 11 Pro 21H2.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot turn on Network Discovery in Windows 11 Pro 21H2.: Unable to view network computers from client workstations in a Windows Server 2016 domain.Cannot turn on Network Discovery in Windows 11 Pro 21H2 from "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings".Then discovered "Function...
  4. Cannot turn on network discovery!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot turn on network discovery!: Upto a month ago we were sharing files between an HP and LG laptops. Now the LG cannot find the path to the HP and comes up with the error x80070035. I think I must have tried everything I read on the net to resolve the problem. I found that I can’t turn on network discovery...
  5. Cannot turn on network discovery!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot turn on network discovery!: Upto a month ago we were sharing files between an HP and LG laptops. Now the LG cannot find the path to the HP and comes up with the error x80070035. I think I must have tried everything I read on the net to resolve the problem. I found that I can’t turn on network discovery...
  6. Cannot turn on network discovery!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Network Discovery is turned off...

Network Discovery is turned off...: One of my mini PC's a Beelink U55 kept getting this error msg stating that the network discovery is turned off, and I would lose connection to my NAS. However when checking network discovery in Advanced sharing settings, it was still turned on. I had researched several...
  8. network discovery is turned off.

network discovery is turned off.: I have the message "network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visable. Please turn on network discovery in Network and sharing Centre". How do I do this?...
  9. How to turn on Network Discovery?

How to turn on Network Discovery?: how do i turn this on[ATTACH] [Original Title: Dell optiplex] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-network-discovery/b0a45df1-5f76-4b15-9c33-975600801883
  10. Network Discovery turning off

Network Discovery turning off: I am a Windows Admin and there is a user who is using a Dell 5530 Laptop running Win10 Pro 10.0.17763. She has access to domain network shared files. When she has the shared files open and the computer locks up, after a length of time and unlocks the computer, the files are...