Windows 10: Cannot type Japanese characters after Windows updates

Discus and support Cannot type Japanese characters after Windows updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I use Windows 10 and Office 2016 I have admin privilege in my Dell laptop. I was able to type in Japanese until I have forced to run Windows updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TaekoKanai, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Cannot type Japanese characters after Windows updates

I use Windows 10 and Office 2016

I have admin privilege in my Dell laptop.

I was able to type in Japanese until I have forced to run Windows updates on 6/30/18.

I went to Japan right after that and came back today and noticed that I am no longer able to type letters in Japanese.

When I select "Japanese MicroSoft IME" (ENG at task bar), it changed from ENG to .

It used to be "A" and then I was able to converted it to kanji after clicking "A".

Now, clicking doesn't do anything.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Japanese MicroSoft IME, tried to check keyboard setting, etc. but no hope.

I considered of undoing the 6/30 updates, but it seems like I can only restore the setting that were after the 6/30 updates were completed.

I went to MicroSoft forum and found a post from phyyxstryker on 1/24/17 which involves Event Viewer. It looks like I have to change some setting in English, but I don't see any way to change setting on English side.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/japanese-ime-not-allowing-input-mode-to-be-changed/3360b422-47c4-41ba-8e1d-810751994f40

I involved Dell technical support, but they were unable to resolve it - they asked me to contact Microsoft support.

I use Japanese a lot, so this issue is major issue for me.

Please find solutions as soon as possible.

Thanks

:)

TaekoKanai, Jul 8, 2018
  2. TokyoMike Win User

Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

Yes, I do mean those keys. I tried just switching to Japanese keyboard, as you suggested, but those keys didn't work. Also, the selection key is normally the spacebar in Japan but I could only get IME to work with the Tab key (for those who aren't familiar with Japanese typing: you type in Roman characters, then press a selection key and it steps you through a list of options for the word you are typing in Japanese characters). Did you get the special keys to work as they do in native Japanese mode?

It may well be that I was missing something, although I did try every option I could think of. In any event, as I said, I gave in and now have Japanese Windows running with English menus and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, Jul 8, 2018
  3. Getting Japanese characters to display

In Windows 10, I was able to switch between the English and Japanese simply by clicking on the ENG icon in my various Office products (Word, PowerPoint, etc.) Now, however, the icon is gone and the ability to get Japanese characters to display has vanished.
    My computer says I have the Japanese IME language pack, but I can't get it to work. Has anyone else had this problem in Windows 10? Any suggestions?

PaulMatychuk, Jul 8, 2018
  4. Tiero Chi Win User

Cannot type Japanese characters after Windows updates

Problems using a Japanese or Traditional Chinese IME on a non-Japanese or non-Traditional Chinese version of Windows 10 immediately after installing the April 2018 Update.

If you are running a non-Japanese or non-Traditional Chinese version of Windows 10 and are experiencing any of these problems, try these steps to resolve them:

Symptom 1:
    You may not able to type Japanese or Traditional Chinese characters when first signing into your account.

If you are connected to the Internet, you can wait for the IME dictionaries to download.
    If you’d prefer not to wait, or if are not connected to the Internet,
    when selecting your operating system language, please choose a Japanese or Traditional Chinese operating system.
    These languages include pre-loaded IME dictionaries.
    In some cases, your PC manufacturer or enterprise may offer a customized Windows 10 you may choose that already includes an IME dictionary to avoid this problem.

Symptom 2:
    You may not be able to type Japanese or Traditional Chinese characters if your do not have an Internet connection or before the dictionary is downloaded.

If you think you might have problems downloading the IME dictionary, first check if the download was successful.
    To do this, open Settings, and select Apps.
    Then select Manage Optional Features. If your Japanese or Traditional Chinese IME dictionaries have been successfully installed, you should see “Japanese typing” or “Chinese (Taiwan) typing
    within the list of Optional Features.

If you don’t see a successful download, try resolving this issue by manually downloading the IME dictionary.
    (These steps require an Internet connection.)

• At the Start menu, click Cortana’s search box and type “Command Prompt”.
    • Right-click Command Prompt in the search results and select
      Run as Administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type one of the following command and press Enter to install the basic typing Features on Demand package:
    • For Japanese basic typing:
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Language.Basic~~~ja-JP~0.0.1.0

• For Traditional Chinese basic typing:
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Language.Basic~~~zh-TW~0.0.1.0

Symptom 3:
    Windows server update services (WSUS) may not detect your Japanese or Traditional Chinese IME in some corporate environments.

If you’re using Windows 10 Enterprise in a corporate environment and can't type Japanese or Traditional Chinese characters, please ask your local IT administrator for help.

You can find detailed information about Features on Demand and Language Packs in Windows 10 at these English-language sites:

Language packages

Features on demand

Language features on demand

Tiero Chi, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

Cannot type Japanese characters after Windows updates

1. Cannot type Japanese characters after Windows updates - Similar Threads - Cannot type Japanese

2. Can't type Japanese characters in any apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't type Japanese characters in any apps.: For whatever reason, when I try typing Japanese in apps, my text isn't converted to Hiragana. I can type in apps fine after reinstalling the language up until I restart my PC. After restarting, the only place my text is converted to Hiragana is in the Windows search bar. As...
  3. Can't type Japanese characters in any apps.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't type Japanese characters in any apps.: For whatever reason, when I try typing Japanese in apps, my text isn't converted to Hiragana. I can type in apps fine after reinstalling the language up until I restart my PC. After restarting, the only place my text is converted to Hiragana is in the Windows search bar. As...
  4. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  5. Cannot type alt characters into Notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type alt characters into Notepad: Since you changed Notepad on us to v. 11.2112.32.0, I can no longer type alt characters those where you hold down the alt key and use the numeric keypad, such as –, —, é, à. Seems to be a really major omission to disallow basic, common characters like that. How can we enter...
  6. I cannot type in Japanese anymore after windows update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I cannot type in Japanese anymore after windows update.: Exactly as the title say. I was able to use the japanese ime well and then i updated my pc and i cannot use japanese any more. When i do windows key + space i will randomly switch back to english on its own. And when its actually on japanese i cant change the halfwidth...
  7. Cannot type multiple characters in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot type multiple characters in Windows Explorer: For the past few months when using the Windows Explorer File Manager after opening it I cannot type multiple characters to jump to the section of interest. Example: I open the Windows Explorer File Manager and go to my Documents folder R:\Libraries\Documents where I have...
  8. typing in Japanese

in Windows 10 Customization
    typing in Japanese: I am new to windows 10. Used to have windows 7 and would type in Japanese with ease. Now I don't understand anything on typing in Japanese. I have the icon but very confusing for older people to understand. Is there a different way to download Japanese and type....
  9. Cannot type Japanese Kana any more after the latest windows update 17763.805

Cannot type Japanese Kana any more after the latest windows update 17763.805: After Windows update a day or two ago, the Japanese IME completely gives up its job, it only types latin alphabet. I have tried de- and installing the IME already. No effect. Screenshot below, lower right corner indicates IME was already on Japanese Hiragana. Please Help....
  10. I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters

I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters: Windows 10. I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters. When I left click on the A character, nothing happens. When I right click, some options appear, but when I click on Hiragana, but nothing happens. I have tried some of the solutions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. DISM.exe /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Language.Basic~~~ja-JP~0.0.1.0

2. cannot type japanese in windows 10

3. windows 10 cannot type japanese

4. manually downloading the IME dictionary,
  5. download /capabilityname:language.basic~~~ja-jp~0.0.1.0,
  6. cannot install chinese traditional input in japanese OS,
  7. japanese basic typing download windows keyboard error,
  8. cant type in Japanese windows 10,
  9. cannot type hiragana ,
  10. cannot type hiragana after install Japanese pack windows 10,
  11. cannot typejapanese windows 10,
  12. dism.exe/online/add-capability/capabilityname:language.basic~~~zh-tw~0.0.1.0,
  13. CapabilityName:Language.Basic~~~ja-JP~0.0.1.0,
  14. windows 7 japanese typing instal failed,
  15. Features on Demand ime download