Windows 10: Cannot unlock start up screen

Discus and support Cannot unlock start up screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hoping someone can help. I have an Inspiron 15 laptop which is not letting me past the password screen. For some reason when I press the number 1 as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Charlie24, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Charlie24 Win User

Cannot unlock start up screen

Hoping someone can help. I have an Inspiron 15 laptop which is not letting me past the password screen. For some reason when I press the number 1 as part of the password the key registers a '1, which appears to be the symbol entered by pressing the key immediately to the left of 1. I have tried to reset the password and created a password reset key but that will not work, telling me an error has occurred. I cannot access Safe mode and therefor cannot initiate a recovery. Any suggestions please.

:)

Charlie24, Jan 3, 2017

2. Nokia 5530 - how do i stop the alarm without resetting the snooze function

Let me explain further...... once the keyboard is locked and the alarm is sounding the Unlock Button on the side will activate the touch screen. You cannot get to the screen to see any functions. I have tried to disable Autolock but once the screen
    shuts down and the alarm starts you cannot get back to the sceen. Further, when the alram is sounding, 2 buttons come up as a scroll along the bottom of the screen - one for snooze and one for stop but as the screen is not active pressing on either of these
    has no effect.

elecman007, Jan 3, 2017
  3. Smoville Win User
    Lumia 950XL phone call screen issue.

When someone calls me and I answer the phone, my screen goes blank (which I cannot seem to change), and I have to hit the lock, then unlock button to view the screen. Is this the new normal? I cannot hang up first with ease!

Smoville, Jan 3, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @Charlie24!

You may have a faulty keyboard, or the keyboard hardware has got itself into a state that can't be reset easily. For the latter, try shutting down the PC and removing the battery (and the power lead). Then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power. This should ensure any hardware registers get reset properly.

If that doesn't fix it your keyboard may really be faulty. Try using the numeric keypad to enter the number 1 (you may need to press Num Lock first).

Bree, Jan 3, 2017
  5. Charlie24 Win User
    Many thanks I will try that. I did try the numeric keyboard but it would not enter the 1 other numbers were ok.

Charlie24, Jan 3, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    @Charlie24,
    Another possibility is that your keyboard is not a UK one, or that several input methods have ben installed. This thread has similar 'punctuation' problems with the numbers keys.
    keyboard - my dell inspiron 15 , model 3000 laptop , the number keys in the top row all have a number a punctuation and an accent mark or other mark - Super User

The solution was to switch the input method, which you can do at the login screen. Hold down the Win key and press the space bar. If you have multiple languages installed for your keyboard then this will let you choose which one to use.

Bree, Jan 3, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    you can always use the onscreen keyboard to login

spunk, Jan 4, 2017
  8. Charlie24 Win User

Cannot access the on screen keyboard at login screen. Just noticed it will not type letter "h" , there may be others. I suspect keyboard maybe damaged.

Charlie24, Jan 4, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Yes you can. It's in 'Ease of access', the icon just to the left of 'Power' at the bottom right of the login screen.

Bree, Jan 4, 2017
  10. Charlie24 Win User
    Thanks, didn't notice that.

Charlie24, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot unlock start up screen - Similar Threads - Cannot unlock start

2. Cannot unlock lock screen on laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot unlock lock screen on laptop: Microsoft11Lock Screen cannot be opened … pin reset button not working.. and it’s asking for a password with hint angel and I don’t recall this information. Need to reset pin and password to open Lock Screen....
  3. Cannot unlock lock screen on laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot unlock lock screen on laptop: Microsoft11Lock Screen cannot be opened … pin reset button not working.. and it’s asking for a password with hint angel and I don’t recall this information. Need to reset pin and password to open Lock Screen....
  4. Start up screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Start up screen: Can I get rid of the start up screen and the sign in screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-screen/27c80b5b-0583-4dbf-af08-c5e1d637ce0e
  5. Cannot get out of start up Screen.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot get out of start up Screen.: I did a Windows 10 software update, after which it told me to restart. when I did the restart the start up screen stops at error message WerFault.exe - Bad Image. The screen will not allow me to go any further. Not even to my home page, Have tried everything, but nothing...
  6. start up screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    start up screen: start up screen has an owl its a bad omen to my people how do i change it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-up-screen/72d059db-8965-489a-aae1-b614bd0ff1e7
  7. Start up screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Start up screen: I recently reset a laptop running windows 10. I wiped everything. When I went on to the start up/ login screen, I was met with defaultuser1 and Other user. Ive tried logging in with my account onto the "other user" and I've had no luck. I am sure my details are correctWhat...
  8. Start up screen

Start up screen: All of a sudden my screen start up changed and now I have pop ups and "Bing" opens at the same time. **** Did look like this: [ATTACH] Now looks like this.....? [ATTACH] Thanks for the help, John...
  9. Cannot enter PIN on unlock screen

Cannot enter PIN on unlock screen: I have an HP Envy. Recently, the unlock screen has the PIN field locked so I cannot enter my PIN to unlock Windows 10. I type the PIN anyhow. After a while, if I keep tapping the screen, it shows that it received the 4 digits, but then I wait again. Often it goes back so that...
  10. Start-up screen

Start-up screen: A start-up screen wastes time by filling up with program icons that I do not want. How do I get rid of this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/start-up-screen/0e0e8efa-41d5-4dc7-81fe-c48add885755