Windows 10: Cannot Update NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Drivers

Discus and support Cannot Update NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Drivers in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Curious to know where to go from here as far as installing drivers. I wanted to reinstall the most current driver I had for this card due to some weird... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by ChadBonk, Mar 1, 2017.

1. ChadBonk Win User

Cannot Update NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Drivers

Curious to know where to go from here as far as installing drivers. I wanted to reinstall the most current driver I had for this card due to some weird performance issues i was noticing and most of my research online was pointing to a possible corruption of drivers. So,... i UNinstalled the driver thorugh Device Manager. Rebooted, and tried to reinstall the drivers with tons of dissapointment.

So far, I've tried DDU and REVO. Both in Safe Mode. Ive tried a different PCI slot on the board. I've tried a different card ( a 970 GTX ) card. And with that being said... most would assume that maybe the board is bad. However,... if i right click on display through device manager and let it install the best fit driver, it'll install one from 10/2016 build off Nvidia's site. And now... even tho it said it failed, through GeForce Experience, says that I have the most up to date driver installed. However, if I try and reinstall or clean install th driver, it errors out on everything.

Any other suggestions from peoples experience with this card and this OS?

:)

ChadBonk, Mar 1, 2017

2. Windows 10 - installing video card drivers fails

I would like to locate Windows 10 update for NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 / 1080 GPU drivers?

Herman Smith 2058, Mar 1, 2017
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Nvidea Graphics driver wont install on my version of windows (which refuses to update Nvidea reader)

Are you sure the nVidia gpu is a gtx 1080?

You can manually download this driver & the gforce experience (nVidia's driver installer) from

here
    , and the driver page here.

Time Lady, Mar 1, 2017
  4. Cannot Update NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Drivers

I would try running sfc/ scannow from an elevated command prompt to check for corrupt Windows files. From one of Brink's famous tutorials:

Cannot Update NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Drivers [​IMG]

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option3

If SFC/ scannow finds and (hopefully) fixes any errors then I would try the install process again.

DDU is the tool many would use to resolve an Nvidia driver installation issue. Did you try the DDU process but first making sure you are disconnected (and don't automatically reconnect) to the internet? That should ensure Windows or GFE isn't trying to install a driver during/after the DDU process. Then I would launch the Nvidia driver install, clicking on clean install and putting a check box on only the graphic driver and PhysX.

specialkone, Mar 5, 2017
  5. ChadBonk Win User
    Hey! Thank you for the input! So, this is where I'm at with it. I did the scan and it came back with zero integrity violations, ... so, that's kinda good lol

Windows can definately see the card, I verified this through device manager. For Display adapter, it clearly says NVIDIA 1080 card. NVIDIA's GeForce Experience program that they reccomend to keep you up to date verfies that I have the correct and most up to date driver installed. Nothing that I've noticed works out of the ordinary. I'm curious if I should just lay this to bed and roll with it till I have an issue and then reinstall windows or not. So far, I did a repair installation on it.

In regards to your comment about the DDU program, I do know that I did not disconnect from the internet, and was curious about why after I uninstalled the driver through Device Manager, TRYING to do a new clean install why after about a minute of being logged in, all three screens would update and look as if I just installed the driver. And it seems with your comment that windows searched online really quick and downloaded and installed it before I had the chance install what I wanted properly.

So, what you're saying is try one more time, but disconnect from the internet before I try and reinstall so there's no chance of it trying to install something?

ChadBonk, Mar 5, 2017
  6. Yes.

specialkone, Mar 5, 2017
  7. Simply run DDU, let it boot into safe mode (default), remove nvidia files. restart

Upon restart install the latest drivers. Go custom install if you don't want GFE - Full installation if you want.

Don't remove drivers via device manager. DDU is enough to clean slate it.

3 screens will fit and fart until they sort themselves into extended modes. Connecting/disconnecting repeatedly is normal. Adjust primary and arrange screen layouts (unless surround) after driver installation is complete.

SmartEyeball, Mar 5, 2017
  8. ChadBonk Win User

gotcha. Well thats the thing i'm curious about. While windows is fartin' around trying to sort themselves out, is it installing something that is preventing the install of the drivers. Cuz I actually did precisely what you explained. Boot into safe mode, ran DDU and then rebooted once more and started windows normally. Upon doing that, it still fires back an error even if I choose clean installation.

While I was talking to NVIDIA via Chat support, we tried those methods. Thats when I tried the different PCI slots and another card to try and rule out faulty hardware. Which, I'm seriously doubting its hardware related at this point especially since I'm using the computer like normal now and it's showing the correct drivers via GFE. I strongly think that it's just a corrupt file. SFC scan came back fine too.

I'm wondering if whatever windows is installed should be fine and just let it go till I notice an issue and just reinstall windows. I ran it through some of my toughest programs. Lightroom, Photoshop, ZBrush, Corel Painter and Illustrator

ChadBonk, Mar 5, 2017
  9. Whats the error? Have you tried a custom install - driver+physx only. Drivers from nividas site? Forget GFE for now.

Also how are your screens connected? hdmi/DP/Dvi etc?

The nvidia install process essentially installs the display driver, blacls in and out and lets the screens 'come on' and off until bingo bango. Windows doesn't install anything.

What's your oldest restore point? It might be worth going back to an old restore point and trying again depending on the error. Pre Revo if you have one.

Alternatively, disconnect two of your screens upon initial instillation. Get the single screen connected first and add the others afterward.

DDU should not cause any issues - revo however may have tinkered with a framework dependency.

10. ChadBonk Win User

ChadBonk, Mar 5, 2017
  11. ChadBonk Win User
    Thats the error that I get. Ive been doing custom install, just so that I could get the check mark to do a clean install. I've only been using GFE so that I could verify which version is on the machine since I don't know any other way to see which driver is installed. I have 3 screens attached, one via DVI and the other HDMI. I only used REVO cuz the NVIDIA support team i think was getting frustrated and that was there next level of attack. I'll try this tho...

Like you suggested, Boot into safe mode and run DDU. Then boot back into windows and install only using one screen connected, the DVI one, and see how that goes?

ChadBonk, Mar 5, 2017
  12. Hmm. Card seen in device manger. It's not faulty hardware.

Have you tried installing the driver through Device manager? Point it towards:

C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\378.66\Win10_64\International\Display.Driver

Device manager>Display Adapters>properties>Driver tab

13. ChadBonk Win User

ChadBonk, Mar 5, 2017
  14. ChadBonk Win User
    Just performed that based off your instruction and it looks like that is already installed. So.... TECHNICALLY, that's the driver installed and i'm ok?

ChadBonk, Mar 5, 2017
  15. Cannot Update NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Drivers [​IMG]

If that's the driver version then yes.
    How has attaching the other two screens worked?

And for future reference no longer remove drivers via device manager. It causes shenanigans now.

Thema:

1. Cannot Update NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Drivers - Similar Threads - Cannot Update NVIDIA

2. PC bricked after Nvidia Geforce driver update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC bricked after Nvidia Geforce driver update: Hi everyone, I updated the graphics drivers on a new PC this afternoon and upon the next startup the PC was completely bricked. My monitor detects no signal whatsoever, and my keyboard does not light up. I've tried power cycling many times, removing and replacing the GPU and...
  3. Nvidia geforce 525m custom drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia geforce 525m custom drivers: Hey everyone, I just recently updated my old laptops OS from Win 7 to Win 10. Here are my specs: Laptop: Dell XPS L502X OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit(10.0, Build 19042.867) Memory: 8Gb I successfully managed to install custom drivers for my Intel HD Graphics 3000 from this...
  4. Nvidia driver and Geforce experience cannot be installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nvidia driver and Geforce experience cannot be installed: i cant install geforce experience it gives me an error i tried every troubleshoot method none worked and i cant install the driver manually. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-driver-and-geforce-experience-cannot-be/8ea89ed7-5f87-4162-b373-a371a91574eb
  5. Best way to update NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 drivers?

Best way to update NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 drivers?: I have a Surface Book 2 and it uses the GTX 1060 and Intel UHD Graphics 620. When I look at the drivers on the NVIDIA website and my own drivers for the 1060, it seems I'm out of date. I'm wondering if I need the NVIDIA app or if I can update these drivers through Device...
  6. Best way to update NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 drivers?

Best way to update NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 drivers?: I have a Surface Book 2 and it uses the GTX 1060 and Intel UHD Graphics 620. When I look at the drivers on the NVIDIA website and my own drivers for the 1060, it seems I'm out of date. I'm wondering if I need the NVIDIA app or if I can update these drivers through Device...
  7. Will this Mobo Support an Nvidia 1080?

Will this Mobo Support an Nvidia 1080?: I plan to build a gaming dedktop. I'll be buying an MSI mobo whose link is below. I want to know 2 things: 1) Will this mobo be good enough for an Nvidia 1080? 2) For a PSU, how many watts will I need to run an Nvidia 1080 on it?...
  8. Alternative driver to Nvidia GeForce

Alternative driver to Nvidia GeForce: I have a Sony Vaio using a Nvidia GeForce 310M graphics driver. I run Windows 7. It is not compatible with Windows 10 and I can't upgrade. Sony are going to take forever to update the Windows 8 drivers so I'm not holding my breath for an early update on Windows 7 (if at...
  9. Microsoft’s Ultimate Laptop Updated with Latest NVIDIA GeForce Drivers

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Ultimate Laptop Updated with Latest NVIDIA GeForce Drivers: Microsoft’s "Ultimate Laptop" Updated with Latest NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Small update released by Microsoft for the Surface Book Microsoft has recently released a new driver update for its Surface Book that includes the latest software for the NVIDIA GeForce GPU unit....
  10. NVIDIA Introduces GeForce GTX 1080

in Windows 10 News
    NVIDIA Introduces GeForce GTX 1080: [MEDIA] [IMG] Powered by Pascal Architecture, Delivers up to 2x Performance and 3X Efficiency of GeForce GTX TITAN X NVIDIA today announced the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 -- the first gaming GPU based on the company's new Pascal™ architecture -- providing up to...