Windows 10: Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 after resetting computer on previously upgraded machine

Discus and support Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 after resetting computer on previously upgraded machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an older laptop (2010) that was pre-installed with Windows 7 professional. I upgraded to Windows 10 2 years ago. Recently, I need to reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by m44y, Aug 22, 2018.

1. m44y Win User

Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 after resetting computer on previously upgraded machine

I have an older laptop (2010) that was pre-installed with Windows 7 professional. I upgraded to Windows 10 2 years ago.

Recently, I need to reset the laptop and it reverted the OS back to Windows 7 professional. I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 again and it's prompting me for a Product key. Is there anyway I can upgrade again without the product key?

:)

2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Aug 22, 2018
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Aug 22, 2018
  4. Mussels Win User

Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 after resetting computer on previously upgraded machine

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot upgrade to Windows 10 after resetting computer on previously upgraded machine - Similar Threads - Cannot upgrade resetting

2. Cannot activate after upgrading from Win 10 Pro then a windows reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot activate after upgrading from Win 10 Pro then a windows reset: I just upgraded my PC from Windows 10 Pro digital license to Windows 11 Pro, and it seemed to have been fine. I'm assuming it was fine because my user icon was still the same. I then chose to do a reset for a fresh install of windows. Afterwards, my user icon disappeared and...
  3. Cannot activate after upgrading from Win 10 Pro then a windows reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot activate after upgrading from Win 10 Pro then a windows reset: I just upgraded my PC from Windows 10 Pro digital license to Windows 11 Pro, and it seemed to have been fine. I'm assuming it was fine because my user icon was still the same. I then chose to do a reset for a fresh install of windows. Afterwards, my user icon disappeared and...
  4. Cannot Activate After Upgrading Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot Activate After Upgrading Windows 10: Hello, I purchased a Windows 10 machine from Lenovo a YogaC940 and then bought an upgrade directly from Microsoft to Windows 10 Enterprise. No license key came with the email confirming my upgrade, and my machine upgraded and updated seamlessly. However, I now get...
  5. Upgrading to Windows 10 after factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to Windows 10 after factory reset: Hi, My hp laptop came with windows 8.1 pre-installed. I updated to windows 10 when the offer was available. As my system's usage of ram, disk and cpu are high even on idle, I want to do a factory reset. If I do the factory reset my pc will go back to windows 8.1. Would I be...
  6. Upgrade to windows 10 after factory reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade to windows 10 after factory reset: Hi guys, my laptop have an issue where i need to reset it. It was originally windows 8.1. After i reset my laptop, can i upgrade it back to windows 10? submitted by /u/darkflash931 [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 recovery machine previously upgraded from Win10 Home to Win10Pro

Windows 10 recovery machine previously upgraded from Win10 Home to Win10Pro: I have a laptop that was upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro using the Windows upgrade process in Settings. I paid $99 for the upgrade. I got a receipt in e-mail, and I can see the purchase in my Microsoft account. However, I cannot see what my Product Key is...
  8. Windows 10 Upgrade after computer manufaturer restore previously purchased

Windows 10 Upgrade after computer manufaturer restore previously purchased: I purchased a windows 10 Pro upgrade on my new laptop in September 2019. Recently my laptop hard drive and motherboard needed replacement and I lost all my data as the manufacturer reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled the OS. How can i upgrade to windows 10 pro given...
  9. upgrading to windows 10 after factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading to windows 10 after factory reset: Hi I upgraded for free from windows 7 to windows 10 home a few years back. I just had to reset my computer to factory settings, and it seems it is stuck on windows 7 service pack 1. How do I get windows 10 ?...
  10. Factory Reset After Windows 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Factory Reset After Windows 10 Upgrade: I have a small laptop running Windows 8 that I'd like to give to a friend after I install Windows 10. If I do a factory reset to remove all my stuff, will it retain Windows 10 or will it revert back to 8? 18379