Windows 10: Cannot use links from emails in Outlook, MS Office 2010

Discus and support Cannot use links from emails in Outlook, MS Office 2010 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; The following message occurs when clicking on any link in an email in Outlook 2010: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by dwilkows, Oct 12, 2016.

1. dwilkows Win User

Cannot use links from emails in Outlook, MS Office 2010

The following message occurs when clicking on any link in an email in Outlook 2010:

"This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this comptuer. Please contact your system administrator."

I am running a stand alone desktop computer in my home. Lenovo All-IN-One touchscreen C40-05, Windows 10, Home, MS Office 2010. I suppose I am the administrator because my wife refused the job and our children are grown and have all left home. *really

Removing Chrome and making Edge the default browser before reinstalling Chrome did not help the situation.

:)

dwilkows, Oct 12, 2016
  2. Macca2112 Win User

Is Office 2010 compatible with Windows 10?

I am using Microsoft Outlook from Microsoft Office Professional 2010 as my email viewer. If I upgrade to Windows 10 will I be able to continue to use MS Outlook?

Original title: Email Viewer

Macca2112, Oct 12, 2016
  3. Outlook 2010 issue with Windows 10

You can just delete the account using Mail Control Panel and reconfigure the same and see the connectivity to MS exchange

Santosh Kapruwan, Oct 12, 2016
  4. Try3 Win User

The Microsoft fix is at Hyperlinks are not working in Outlook

The reference to Outlook is a little misleading, as the description in the section Let me fix it myself makes clear. It is an error in IE that is causing the problem and the problem will appear with the app that you happen to be using when you click on a hyperlink. So you should be alright afterwards.

Denis

5. dwilkows Win User
    Hi Denis,
    Thanks for your reply. The reason I did not try the "Fix It Yourself" suggestions are two fold. 1. The instructions state that this fix is for:For Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003.

I'm running Windows 10 as stated in the original inquiry in this thread and it isn't listed. However, I tried it just now and a message opened saying "This download is not for your operating system. Well, I suppose that is because I am running Windows 10!
    2. When working through the instructions for the "Do it yourself" editing of the registry, the registry for my Windows 10 computer did not have the same items as shown in the instructions so I was forced to quit.

What else can I try?

Thanks for your continued help.

Doug Wilkowske

dwilkows, Oct 12, 2016
  6. Try3 Win User
    Doug,

1 About "The reason I did not try the "Fix It Yourself" suggestions are two fold. 1. The instructions state that this fix is for:For Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003" You have misread the instructions. It is the automatic "easy fix" that is only available for those other operating systems.

2 About "When working through the instructions for the "Do it yourself" editing of the registry, the registry for my Windows 10 computer did not have the same items as shown in the instructions so I was forced to quit" Both the Registry keys referred to in Let me fix it myself Method 2 exist in Windows 10. Do note that the procedure guides you through exporting the first key from a healthy computer so that implies that the key is either corrupt or missing from a computer that exhibits the fault symptoms.

3 You make no mention of Let me fix it myself Method 1

Denis

7. dwilkows Win User
    Hi Denis,
    Yeah, I did mention Let me fix it myself Method 1. It's in number 1 above which is not for W10. The instructions clearly state W10 users should use method 2.

I chose the wrong sections in regedit the first time, so came to the erroneous conclusion the instructions were not for my current "updated" version of W10. When I read your comments and retried Method 2 for W10 users, it worked! Thanks for pointing me to that.

The tone of your comments reflects little patience with at home, non-expert users like me. I humbly suggest you adopt a more helpful, understanding approach. We are not all as well versed in "fixing" computer glitches as you. At first reading, I wanted to quit and try another more friendly forum person. After calming down and rereading, I tried it all again. I'm glad I did and I thank you once again.

Doug

dwilkows, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot use links from emails in Outlook, MS Office 2010 - Similar Threads - Cannot links emails

2. MS Office 2010

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    MS Office 2010: Hard drive is dying on my other laptop is dying. Trying to get office 2010 off it. Got my product key, but unsure if it will let me use it again. Can't find the exe file for it. I have my product key. But unsure if it will work on my laptop Im using now. I downloaded the file...
  3. MS Office 2010

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Office 2010: Hard drive is dying on my other laptop is dying. Trying to get office 2010 off it. Got my product key, but unsure if it will let me use it again. Can't find the exe file for it. I have my product key. But unsure if it will work on my laptop Im using now. I downloaded the file...
  4. MS Office 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Outlook 2010 is preventing the use of links

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2010 is preventing the use of links: I run up-to-date Windows 10 (2004) on a PC. I am still using Office 2010. Since yesterday (30th August, 2020) I have been unable to use any links which occur in my received emails - I could before. When I click on any link I get this message: "This operation has been...
  6. MS Office 2010

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Office 2010: New laptop with W10s installed; attempted install MS Office 2010, but even though it installed and can be found in programs and features, I cannot find it anywhere else let alone work from it? In other words, it's apparently on my new laptop, but hidden or?...
  7. Office 365 and Outlook 2010

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office 365 and Outlook 2010: I recently purchased 365 Home for 1 user- multiple devices. When installed on first PC I was no longer able to open Outlook 2010. Dialog said unable to find data file. Contacted MS office support and a great tech helped me get outlook organized on 365 so I had all email...
  8. I cannot email from Office 2010 in Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    I cannot email from Office 2010 in Windows 10: I have seen a lot of questions regarding this issue but no real solutions that work for me anyway. I repaired Office, I ran compatibility on office, I have Windows Live Mail as my default mail client & ran fixmapi.exe. Nothing works for me. These are the messages I get:...
  9. Is MS office 2010 outlook compatible with windows 10

Is MS office 2010 outlook compatible with windows 10: Hi I'm using Microsoft office 2010 outlook wit windows 10... I find that windows 10 keeps changing my settings i.e. when I uncheck the box in an email account in outlook 10... it changes back after next boot... I uncheck leave on server so it is removed and I don't receive...
  10. Office 2010 Migration - Outlook

Office 2010 Migration - Outlook: Whilst my office suite (2010) seems to have migrated well, has anyone had any issues with sending mail from Outlook. I have a exchange server account in Outlook which works fine, however I also have a BT Internet (Yahoo version) pop 3 account, which is set to the correct...