Windows 10: Cannot use my PIN

Discus and support Cannot use my PIN in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; On bootup I am now asked for my password instead of my handy PIN. [img] Clicking this results in a very brief appearance of the 'spinner' then... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Terrypin, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

Cannot use my PIN

On bootup I am now asked for my password instead of my handy PIN.

Cannot use my PIN [​IMG]

Clicking this results in a very brief appearance of the 'spinner' then nothing. Nor is there a 'Forgot my PIN' facility anywhere, as mentioned in several articles.
    I haven't forgotten my PIN - it just no longer appears at login, so I have to use a long password. I even tried changing that, but the same issue remains.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Apr 21, 2017

2. Sign in PIN no longer works

Everything was working fine yesterday but today I cannot login using my PIN. So I used my long password. I went to security settings and changed the PIN but I cannot login with this PIN.

can any body help?

AileenTesoriero, Apr 21, 2017
  3. How to change PIN (Personal Identification Number)?

If I cannot remember my original PIN, how can I use it to reset my PIN? When I THINK I remember my old PIN and put it in, adding the new PIN I want to use. I do not see s "I forgot my PIN" as an option.

zishanSamiuddin, Apr 21, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Cannot use my PIN

I would suggest you Run Microsoft account troubleshooter and check.
    Microsoft Account Troubleshooter
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts.diagcab
    You also can press CTRL+Alt+Del and choose to Change Password. Here you can also create a Recover Password disc.
    You can also go to Start/Search and type Credentials. Go to the Windows Credentials tab and View your Windows Credentials, Back them up, or Restore backed up credentials.
    If this still fails, Enable the Hidden Built In Administrator, log out as you, login as the Built in Admin, Here you can change the your user name Password or PIN. Be sure to Hide the Administrator account when done.

spunk, Apr 21, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    @Terrypin, did this just start happening? Have you made any changes to your system, such as upgraded to Creators Update, or clean installed? Any other recent unexplained sudden changes?

f14tomcat, Apr 21, 2017
  6. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks, appreciate the fast reply. I'll try those suggestions at once. As mentioned I already tried the password change. On next clicking ADD the spinner continures indefinitely.

I also tried another suggested solution, deleting this \NGC folder:
    (I seem unable to add Images any more in this forum? Here's a link instead*Smile

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zh8r9q66x...PIN-2.jpg?dl=0

Terrypin, Apr 21, 2017
  7. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks Dick. I have been doing a lot of experimenting/fiddling/tweaking today, so I guess I may have screwed up. But nothing obvious I can pinpoint.

My first approach was therefore a recent System Restore (BTW, it had to be very recent, as there were few offered, a puzzle I'll pursue later). But it failed, with an unknown error. I'm getting more worried....

Terrypin, Apr 21, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Cannot use my PIN

Side note, Restore Points are not very reliable. Image backups, such as ones made with free Macrium Reflect, are as close to bulletproof as you can get. No, I do not work for them! *chuckle

Here's a link if you want to look. Highly recommended by most on Tenforums.

Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

f14tomcat, Apr 21, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    @Terrypin

A thought on this part. Check your setting for usage. May be too low, and older ones are being deleted automatically to make room for new ones. Ignore my other settings, I have System Protection turned off.

Cannot use my PIN [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 22, 2017
  10. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks Dick, I agree. I upped mine a short while ago from about 6 GB to 12 GB, when I saw how few SR's I had to fall back on. With my old XP PC, predecessor of this, I never had this problem - recall having many restore points. Do SRs have to be on my C: OS drive, which is a 256 GB SSD and so could be a limitation, or can I put them on my D: drive, 4 TB?

Terrypin, Apr 22, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    To my knowledge, they must reside on the boot drive, otherwise recovery may not see them. They're also in the System Volume Information directory, so kinda tied to the "C" drive.

Cannot use my PIN [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 22, 2017
  12. I rely on MR alone. I do not even use Restore Points.

Josey Wales, Apr 22, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

Cannot use my PIN

Same here, Josey. I'm trying to convert him! *Smile

f14tomcat, Apr 22, 2017
  14. Terrypin Win User
    I installed Macrium soon after getting this new PC nearly a year ago and fully intended to start taking regular images. A disicipline I'd never adopted in my 15 years with XP. But I found it pretty daunting and have still not got around to learning how to use it. So I'll be back for help here some day!

Disappointed to hear SRs confined to C: Wonder if it's possible to reguarly move them across, and back again when an older restore is needed?

Meanwhile expect to spend more time today trying to get my PIN back.

Terrypin, Apr 22, 2017
  15. Terrypin Win User
    As posted earlier, I tried changing pw and also looked at credentials but neither solved the problem. So I've now logged in as the (previously hidden) administrator. But what next? I see no way to access sign in options for MY account? And clicking 'Sign-in options' for this Administrator does nothing - just 'progress dots' scurrying across top of screen

Terrypin, Apr 22, 2017
Thema:

Cannot use my PIN

1. Cannot use my PIN - Similar Threads - Cannot PIN

2. My PC has completely locked me out. I cannot get any internet whatsoever and the pin I used...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC has completely locked me out. I cannot get any internet whatsoever and the pin I used...: Hi everyone,My PC is having a problem. Last night it was working perfectly, but now all of a sudden I cannot log in at all. Not only that, the pin I used to get in is now incorrect, and I have no internet connection. I can’t get any internet, I only have the airplane mode...
  3. My PC has completely locked me out. I cannot get any internet whatsoever and the pin I used...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC has completely locked me out. I cannot get any internet whatsoever and the pin I used...: Hi everyone,My PC is having a problem. Last night it was working perfectly, but now all of a sudden I cannot log in at all. Not only that, the pin I used to get in is now incorrect, and I have no internet connection. I can’t get any internet, I only have the airplane mode...
  4. How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?

How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?: My laptop does not allow me to log in via my Microsoft account. It just says: "Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. Click to set up your PIN again."When setting up the PIN it only allows me to send a text message to my old...
  5. How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset PIN if you cannot verify the account?: My laptop does not allow me to log in via my Microsoft account. It just says: "Your PIN is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. Click to set up your PIN again."When setting up the PIN it only allows me to send a text message to my old...
  6. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10: I have always been able to pin my choice of most used files to tiles e.g. workbooks to the Excel tile on the Start menu and documents to the Word tile on the Start menu. This stopped working and now the tiles show only my most recently opened files in the tile list and whilst...
  7. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10: I have always been able to pin my choice of most used files to tiles e.g. workbooks to the Excel tile on the Start menu and documents to the Word tile on the Start menu. This stopped working and now the tiles show only my most recently opened files in the tile list and whilst...
  8. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

9. Help I forgot my PIN for Windows Hello and I cannot reset it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help I forgot my PIN for Windows Hello and I cannot reset it: Help I forgot my PIN for Windows Hello and I cannot reset it. I can only sign in to my computer using my email address and password. If I go to Settings -> Accounts -> Ways to sign in the PIN Windows Hello states This option is currently unavailable. I am unable to reset this...
  10. Help I forgot my PIN for Windows Hello and I cannot reset it

Help I forgot my PIN for Windows Hello and I cannot reset it: Help I forgot my PIN for Windows Hello and I cannot reset it. I can only sign in to my computer using my email address and password. If I go to Settings -> Accounts -> Ways to sign in the PIN Windows Hello states This option is currently unavailable. I am unable to reset this...