Windows 10: cannot use taskbar

Discus and support cannot use taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Ive been having this issue for the past week, basically the task bar doesnt really work. I cant left click on anything other than the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BeBa, Dec 12, 2016.

1. BeBa Win User

cannot use taskbar

Hi

Ive been having this issue for the past week, basically the task bar doesnt really work. I cant left click on anything other than the apps/programs ive got pinned to the taskbar (and those i cant right click on), the start menu and all the other task bar icons i must right click on. ive done extensive research (aka googling) on the subject and have found its a common issue. However none of the usual fixes seem to work for me....

for starters i came across this page which has some of the fixes ive seen on many other pages. Tried everything other than creating a new account and changing the folder names, simply because i was unable to create a new account on the system.

at first i even tried restoring to past backups, restored 4 times (going back a week each time). After each restore the start button would work for about 5 to 10 minutes and then....... nothing

last night i even took the drastic step of resetting my PC to factory settings (selected the option that wiped the C drive) and it actually worked all of last night. i was excited i thought that resetting was a pain in the ass (had to back up all my files, now have to restore em and install a bunch of programs) thought it was worth it. but as of this morning when i turned the computer on the same damn error happened

not sure what else to do here, can anyone offer any advice?

edit: its also interesting to note that windows 10 apps dont work, they load up, but crash while loading
    and sometimes when typing the keyboard gets stuck and repeats a letter (ie i type the word hello and it gets stuck on the e so "heeeeeeeeeeee"). The problem, however, is that no keys are physically stuck and this error doesnt work on other machines where i use the same keyboard and mouse (i have a microsoft sculpt wireless desktop set, so i take it to work with me, works perfectly on my work PC)

The problem with the apps crashing could probably be related to the taskbar issue. The keyboard problem seems completely unrelated (and might be), but its a big coincidence that it started happening at the same time the taskbar crapped itself, so thought it may be worth mentioning
    These two issues may be meaningless, but someone who knows more about this than i may see a connection that i cannot

:)

2. Microsoft Windows 10 Start Menu, Cortana, Taskbar , edge and action Center Not Working .....!

having the same issue cannot use the start menu ,cortana, cannot adjust the volume from the taskbar, cannot convert to Tablet mode cannot select wifi from the taskbar please help me out

Vardhan Kadam, Dec 12, 2016
  3. an1couk Win User
    How do I activate Cortana search bar?

Apparently you cannot use the search bar when you have "use small taskbar buttons" activated in taskbar properties.

an1couk, Dec 12, 2016
  4. cannot use taskbar

Welcome to the Ten forum.
    While I'm not sure why past backups failed or a clean install failed could I suggest another clean install. This time don't restore your data or add a lot of programs. Please use a local password so you are isolated from your Microsoft account if you use one.
    Please, if you haven’t already, get the latest software from Microsoft. I’m throwing in the link to Brink’s tutorial for reference, you sound like you know how to do this already.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/clean-install-windows-10.246/?filter[2]=Installation and Setup

You didn’t mention, as this is a desktop, what, if any, graphic, sound, ports, etc., cards are installed?

I would keep the machine as basic as possible, like a browser or two and maybe a productivity suite while using Microsoft Security. I would set connection type as Metered to prevent updates from being process. My thought process is to see if this machine can run in what I’ll call “Basic” mode. (not as clean as a clean boot but I think it will do.)

I saw you were able to run for a day but when you let it sleep over night it was corrupted again. Let’s try this same test.

If the machine passes this test I would then perform all the updates and see if behavior returns. While this is occurring maybe you could get a trial version of Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes.com. Once installed I would scan your data files, just to be sure. If all clear then install your programs very slowly, you said you installed a bunch, to see if one of them is causing the corruption. Not sure what slowly means given your machine can run hours without displaying the bad behavior. Maybe do two at a time.

If the machine fails the above test, running all day, sleeping over night, and you do have cards maybe one of them, in conjunction with Windows, is causing corruption or maybe it is a Windows process like hibernation.

Obviously I don’t know root cause but hopefully we can start to isolate possible causes, machine, Window processes, updates, programs, data, account and then action as appropriate.

Addition: You may have to install windows disconnected from a network, then turn on Metered Connection to prevent the update process from immediately starting.

One man’s thoughts.

Caledon Ken, Dec 12, 2016
  5. BeBa Win User
    Thanks for the advice

I've just tried to reset the PC again. I have a feeling whatever's causing the problem is in a windows update

Now the problem is after the reset windows installed is stuck in a loop

It boots up to the screen that gets me to input my location, language etc. then asks me whether I want to use express settings or configure my own.

No matter what I do after I'm done the system restarts then boots into the same screen and I have to enter those details again.

This loop has repeated about a dozen times before I gave up
    Not sure what to do here, I don't have the original discs I used to install windows

6. BeBa Win User
    see image for reference
    this is the screen i cant get past. everytime the computer restarts it comes here

7. Please re-read my note. Microsoft will provide you with the software for free as you are a licensed user. See Brink's tutorial I referenced. You can get software and do a clean install. I noticed I tried to use Media creator on Windows 7 machine unsuccessful. Seems it needs to be done on Windows 10 but this might just be a problem in my chair. There is also and ISO you can get.

If you follow my instructions the updates shouldn't get going. Further Bro67 has recommended in another thread that you shut off the option that allows Microsoft to install hardware drivers. This would be good as we can further isolate if it is Windows updates, as you suspect or drivers. It is probably a combination of factors, lets find out which ones.

I assume as you are posting you have access to another device. My opinion, if you have your data, abandon this loop. Start with a clean install and proceed slowly. You will have your machine back in no time.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

cannot use taskbar

1. cannot use taskbar - Similar Threads - cannot taskbar

2. Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...: Yesterday, in the late afternoon, my Dell G7 15 laptop, running windows 11, was working fine. Late in the evening, it started to fail. When I try to open a folder, the desktop becomes black, the task bar disappears; then, moments later, the desktop and taskbar reappear. I...
  3. Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...: Yesterday, in the late afternoon, my Dell G7 15 laptop, running windows 11, was working fine. Late in the evening, it started to fail. When I try to open a folder, the desktop becomes black, the task bar disappears; then, moments later, the desktop and taskbar reappear. I...
  4. Cannot get any calendar on taskbar calendar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get any calendar on taskbar calendar: I cannot seem to get the *NEW* outlook app's calendar to sync onto my taskbar calendar. I am using windows 10 and cannot update and am wondering how I can do this. I have tried resetting date settings and clock settings in both control centre and task bar and then resetting...
  5. Cannot get any calendar on taskbar calendar

Cannot get any calendar on taskbar calendar: I cannot seem to get the *NEW* outlook app's calendar to sync onto my taskbar calendar. I am using windows 10 and cannot update and am wondering how I can do this. I have tried resetting date settings and clock settings in both control centre and task bar and then resetting...
  6. Cannot get any calendar on taskbar calendar

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Cannot reduce taskbar size in W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot reduce taskbar size in W11: The taskbar is humongous, takes precious space on the desktop. Clock and date are shown in two rows, not in one as I used to have it. I tried to change it using the regedit as suggested on one of the other sites: I went to...
  8. Cannot reduce taskbar size in W11

Cannot reduce taskbar size in W11: The taskbar is humongous, takes precious space on the desktop. Clock and date are shown in two rows, not in one as I used to have it. I tried to change it using the regedit as suggested on one of the other sites: I went to...
  9. How can I increase the size of the taskbar? I cannot read the clock o see the icons as they...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I increase the size of the taskbar? I cannot read the clock o see the icons as they...: Windows 365 I think Large monitor with a high resolution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-increase-the-size-of-the-taskbar-i/e5af3369-735d-4aca-a09e-c40a1c2a956b
  10. How can I increase the size of the taskbar? I cannot read the clock o see the icons as they...

How can I increase the size of the taskbar? I cannot read the clock o see the icons as they...: Windows 365 I think Large monitor with a high resolution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-increase-the-size-of-the-taskbar-i/e5af3369-735d-4aca-a09e-c40a1c2a956b

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I cannot useThe Start Menu or Cortana plus the other icons on the taskbar.

2. cannot use the taskbar

3. cannot use taskbar